HBA drives not recognized after update to 6.9.0 rc2

Hi all,

First post on the forums but I have been using Unraid for almost a year now.

I am scratching my head with this one...

My setup:

HP ProLiant DL370 G6 with 12x2TB (4 x 6TB RAID drives ==> I know I shouldn't use RAID, but the only reason is the 30 drive limit in Unraid) with a PRO license.

NetApp DS4243 / IOM3 (24x2TB) connected to a NetApp PMC-Sierra PM8003 SCC 4-Port QSFP PCIe x8 Controller with a regular QSFP cable.

Current Unraid version: 6.9.0-beta30

In this version, my HBA is active and all the connected drives are detected. No problems, everything works as it has for a while.

Updated Unraid version: 6.9.0-rc2

In this version, the HBA is recognized but the drives are not!

I attached diagnostics, syslog and a screenshot of the HBA in System Devices from both unraid versions.

I honestly have no idea why this is happening but I would like to switch to HW transcoding on Plex, so I need the Nvidia drivers, which only come from 6.9.0-beta35 and up :(

Thanks in advance!

unraid_diag.zip

Edited by Karoolus
I derped on the attachment, uploaded new version
11 minutes ago, Karoolus said:

12x2TB (4 x 6TB RAID drives ==> I know I shouldn't use RAID, but the only reason is the 30 drive limit in Unraid)

You should use fewer larger disks. Lots of disadvantages to a lot of small disks, and adding RAID to that mix makes it even worse.

Each additional disk requires more power, more ports, at some point more license. And at some point really should have dual parity so yet another disk. Larger disks perform better simply because of data density. Perhaps most importantly, each additional disk is an additional point of failure.

And with RAID thrown in, Unraid can't properly monitor SMART, there can be problems getting disks identified so they are assigned properly, and probably other issues I can't remember right now.

Just now, trurl said:

You should use fewer larger disks. Lots of disadvantages to a lot of small disks, and adding RAID to that mix makes it even worse.

Each additional disk requires more power, more ports, at some point more license. And at some point really should have dual parity so yet another disk. Larger disks perform better simply because of data density. Perhaps most importantly, each additional disk is an additional point of failure.

I am aware of this and I will upgrade the disks in the future, but I got both the server and the DS4243 for free, along with a bunch of 2TB drives so it will have to do for now.

I already have a PRO license so that's as high as it will go right?

Jan 28 16:15:23 TheVault kernel: pm80xx 0000:27:00.0: pm80xx: driver version 0.1.40
Jan 28 16:15:23 TheVault kernel: pm80xx0:: pm8001_pci_probe  1111:chip_init failed [ret: -16]

Controller problem, it's failing to initialize, older release uses an older driver:

Jan 28 16:30:14 TheVault kernel: pm80xx 0000:27:00.0: pm80xx: driver version 0.1.39

You'll need to wait for a new driver, and hope it fixes it, there have been other issues with theses controllers before, if it's an option I would recommend using an LSI instead, you'll need a new cable though.

• Like 1

Oh I see, thanks a lot for pointing that out!

I guess I could switch to an LSI card. Which one would you recommend? I have a couple of QSFP-QSFP cables and also 2 QSFP to mini-sas cables so I guess I'm good in the cable department?

Technically I could hook the DS4243 up to my P410i SAS controller (mini-sas to QSFP cable) but then I would have to create a virtual drive for every physical drive in the shelf. It's hard enough trying to fit 36 mechanical drives, 2 sata SSD's and an NVME SSD in an array that only supports up to 30 drives... I am using the Unassigned Devices plugin but it's still a pain not being able to use the extra drives in parity protected shares.

9 hours ago, Karoolus said:

Is it worth going for the 9207 over the 9200?

Main difference is PCIe 3.0 vs 2.0, depends it your board can use it and it's worth it.

9 hours ago, Karoolus said:

Also, should I upgrade my IOM3 (3Gbit/s) to a IOM6 (you guessed it, 6Bit/s) ?

Also depends on how many disks you have there, and how fast they are, but likely will make a bigger difference than the HBA.

PCIe Gen2 slots in a DL370 G6 so I guess it's not worth it. I just googled around a bit and the 9200 is the way to go for me :) 

As for the IOM, I found a cheap'ish one on eBay so I'll upgrade that too, just so all possible bottlenecks are removed.

For the record, it has 24 x 2TB (7.2k RPM) drives.

Many thanks! I will order everything today and assemble upon arrival. At least then (I hope) I'll be able to upgrade to the latest version of Unraid!

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 4:47 AM, Karoolus said:

Many thanks! I will order everything today and assemble upon arrival. At least then (I hope) I'll be able to upgrade to the latest version of Unraid!

Hey @Karoolus,

With the new card did it all work out? Thank you! :)

Edited by Markland