Silent Build: Antec 1200 Build [DAEDALUS 2021]

30 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

They are the drive bay covers and my mate is a frontline hospital worker - so wears it to protect friends :) 

Note.

A large different from D510 to 8-core high-end CPU.

Why use a big tower case ( 12 x 5.25 slot ) for two cage and use a MATX board, suggest use full ATX i.e. Gigabyte C246 ( lost IPMI )for future expansion and much more M2 slot.

Edited by Vr2Io
2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'm using a Xeon buddy, I think you missed that? I will add another two cages soon.

I think he was commenting on the difference between your prior build with the D510 and this new one with an 8-core Xeon.

Your new build looks nice.  I am still very happy with my E3C246D4U/E-2288G in the Silverstone CS380.  I don't need more than 8 HDDs. 

The Antec 1200 monster will certainly give you a lot of room to grow.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Can't get the CPU or MOBO anywhere in the UK :( 

Can you find the newer 10th generation ASRock W480D4U motherboard (about $280 here in the U.S) and the corresponding socket 1200 processors (W-1270, W-1270P and W-1290P)?

The W-1270 ($373) is roughly equivalent to the E-2278G.  The W-1270P is like the E-2288G and the W-1290P is 10 core/20 thread processor.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Do you have another motherboard suggestion that I can try and find?

If you want a server board with ECC support and IPMI you are pretty much limited to ASRock and SuperMicro.  Asus has some boards with ECC and socket 1151 support but no IPMI. They also have some other boards with some homegrown version of IPMI (can't remember what it is called; something like control center)

Of course, the problem with any socket 1151 or socket 1200 board is locating the Xeon CPUs at a reasonable price.

Here's a popular SuperMicro 1151 board and here is a new SuperMicro socket 1200 board.

If you don't care about Xeon, ECC, IPMI, etc, I am sure can find a suitable "consumer/gaming" board that would work well.

Edited by Hoopster
3 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Ideally, I want a Xeon / ECC S 1200 setup as they are designed for 24/7 use?

If IPMI is not a top priority, then your options are expanded a bit, but for Xeon and socket 1200 support you do need to look for boards with the W480 chipset.

Although "server/workstation" boards are designed for 24x7 use, there are probably many consumer motherboards that could do that as well.  I do run my system 24x7 and I am fairly confident in my Xeon, ECC, IPMI setup to be able to handle that.  That does not mean nothing else will, just that I know similar (but usually more high-end) configurations are used in data centers.

30 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

What non-Asrocck board would you buy now if you had to?

Probably the SuperMicro X12SCA (No IPMI) or the X12SCA-F (with IPMI). 

Two things I do not like about these boards compared to ASRock:

• They have a worthless PCI slot (who has PCI cards anymore?)
  • They have only 4 SATA ports compared to 8 on the ASRock boards

As I said, Asus is getting more into server/workstation and not just consumer boards.  They also have a decent W480 offering without IPMI that might be worth looking into.

I have gone ASRock on my last few builds because they tend to offer the features I am looking for with a solid reputation and are usually less expensive than SuperMicro.

I have had good luck in the past with Asus consumer boards but I don't have any experience with their server/workstation boards.

25 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

What are the major differences between the Xeon 1200 series and the i9 series?

ECC RAM support (and sometime more RAM overall and that is about it.  Sometimes there are some differences in clock speed as well with the core i7/i9s having higher clocks speed.

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Or do I go down the AMD route? emoji848.pngemoji2369.png

And if so, what setup?

X570 motherboard.  ASRock even has this x570 board for Ryzen that supports IPMI.  That is a one-of-a-kind board.  Of course there are lots of X570 boards that do not have IPMI.  Many Ryzen/X570 boards also support ECC RAM if that matters at all.  It is really not an absolute necessity.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

- PCIE 4.0 for my graphics card 

The W480/Z490 chipsets supports PCIe 3.0; no 4.0 support yet.  You would have to wait for the new Z590/W580 boards supposedly coming out later this year with PCIe 4.0 support.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201910/intel-w480-chipset.html

If you need PCIe 4.0 now, X570/Ryzen is your only option.

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

This one or is there a cheaper one that I can buy in the interim?

Looking at Amazon in the U.S., the board you mentioned (Gigabyte W480m Vision) is the least expensive W480 board they have right now.

You do need a W480 chipset to support the Xeon W-12xx CPUs; otherwise you could get by with a less-expensive Z490 chipset based board.

Frankly, there are very few GPUs right now that really take advantage of PCIe 4.0 bandwidth.  Almost all were designed with PCIe 3.0 in mind.  Also, PCIe involves the CPU as well PCIe is the interconnection between the CPU and the PCIe/M.2 slots on the board.  The W-12xx CPUs also supports PCIe 3.0 but not 4.0.

It's an entire platform deal and you'd have to wait for 11th generation CPUs and chipsets for PCIe 4.0

Your best "interim" now may be to just go with what you have specified and upgrade down the road when really need all the bandwidth PCIe 4.0 offers to GPUs and other peripherals.

Any MB and CPU you buy now will have to be replaced to get you to PCIe 4.0.

You might find this article interesting as there is a claim by some manufacturers that current Z490 (and supposedly W480?) motherboards have some built in PCIe 4.0 support; however, it will require an 11th generation CPU to take advantage of that even if it is true.

• Like 1
Looking at Amazon in the U.S., the board you mentioned (Gigabyte W480m Vision) is the least expensive W480 board they have right now.

You do need a W480 chipset to support the Xeon W-12xx CPUs; otherwise you could get by with a less-expensive Z490 chipset based board.

Frankly, there are very few GPUs right now that really take advantage of PCIe 4.0 bandwidth.  Almost all were designed with PCIe 3.0 in mind.  Also, PCIe involves the CPU as well PCIe is the interconnection between the CPU and the PCIe/M.2 slots on the board.  The W-12xx CPUs also supports PCIe 3.0 but not 4.0.

It's an entire platform deal and you'd have to wait for 11th generation CPUs and chipsets for PCIe 4.0

Your best "interim" now may be to just go with what you have specified and upgrade down the road when really need all the bandwidth PCIe 4.0 offers to GPUs and other peripherals.

Any MB and CPU you buy now will have to be replaced to get you to PCIe 4.0.

You might find this article interesting as there is a claim by some manufacturers that current Z490 (and supposedly W480?) motherboards have some built in PCIe 4.0 support; however, it will require an 11th generation CPU to take advantage of that even if it is true.

Thank you for your help

I will have a read and make my purchases today!

What ECC RAM wound you recommend that I buy for this board, that will hopefully work with the next upgrade?

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

On 2/12/2021 at 3:39 AM, Rick Sanchez said:

What ECC RAM wound you recommend that I buy for this board, that will hopefully work with the next upgrade?

Assuming the next generation of boards/CPUs still use DDR4 RAM, any RAM you buy today should be good in the future.

Check the RAM QVL for your board for suggestions.  As long as it meets the RAM specs for the board, most RAM will usually work; QVL or not.

I am using the following on my board:
https://memory.net/product/m391a4g43mb1-ctd-samsung-1x-32gb-ddr4-2666-ecc-udimm-pc4-21300v-e-dual-rank-x8-module/

• Rick Sanchez changed the title to Silent Build: Antec 1200 Build [DAEDALUS 2021]

Update:

Final build spec:

MONITOR: LG 34UC99-W 34" Ultrawide Monitor

CASE: Antec 1200

CPU: Xeon W-1270P

MOBO: AsRock W480 Creator

RAM: 32GB Samsung M393A4K40CB2-CVF - Will be 64GB

GFX CARD: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE 8GB

RAID CARD: IBM M1015 - 2x SAS Cables = 8x HDDs

HDD Cages: 2x Icy Dock MB155SP-B

HDDs: 1x 1TB M.2, 1x 480GB SSD 40 TBs Of Data Storage

PSU: Seagate 1200W Gold

UPS: APC BR900GI 540 Watts /900 VA.

Logitech MX 3 Mouse and keyboard and surround sound.