Silent Build: Antec 1200 Build [DAEDALUS]

31 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi,

This is a continuation of my previous UCD topic:

I am now running a medium eight disk, 40TB UnRAID Server Setup

My current current setup is in the topic above :)

The primary use of my upgraded server will be to have two completely separate Windows VMs for "two computers"

VM #1 - will be used for general internet tasks, coding (HTML/Android apps) and video/graphics editing.

- VM #2 - will be used for general internet tasks, gaming and Plex, Netflix etc.

Plus a few dockers.

My new planned server spec is:

MONITOR: LG 34UC99-W 34" Ultrawide Monitor 
CASE: Antec 1200

CPU: Xeon E-2224G / Xeon E-2288G (Top of the line) / Xeon E-2278G  +  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S - To Buy
MOBO: AsRock Rack E3C246D4U - To Buy
RAM: 64GB Hynix ECC DDR4 RAM - To Buy

GFX CARD: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE 8GB

RAID CARD: IBM M1015 - 2x SAS Cables = 8x HDDs

HDD Cages: 2x Icy Dock MB155SP-B FatCage 5-in-3 SATA Internal Backplane Module
HDDs: 480GB SSD Docker & VM Drive & 40TB Of Data Storage

PSU: Unknown - To Buy

UPS: APC BR900GI 540 Watts /900 VA 

Let me know what you think?  Any comments, suggestions or questions are most welcome :D

Thank you 

Edited by Rick Sanchez
30 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

They are the drive bay covers and my mate is a frontline hospital worker - so wears it to protect friends :) 

Note.

A large different from D510 to 8-core high-end CPU.

Why use a big tower case ( 12 x 5.25 slot ) for two cage and use a MATX board, suggest use full ATX i.e. Gigabyte C246 ( lost IPMI )for future expansion and much more M2 slot.

Edited by Vr2Io
2 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Note.

A large different from D510 to 8-core high-end CPU.

Why use a big tower case ( 12 x 5.25 slot ) for two cage and use a MATX board, suggest use full ATX i.e. Gigabyte C246 ( lost IPMI )for future expansion and much more M2 slot.

I'm using a Xeon buddy, I think you missed that? I will add another two cages soon.

2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'm using a Xeon buddy, I think you missed that? I will add another two cages soon.

I think he was commenting on the difference between your prior build with the D510 and this new one with an 8-core Xeon.

Your new build looks nice.  I am still very happy with my E3C246D4U/E-2288G in the Silverstone CS380.  I don't need more than 8 HDDs. 

The Antec 1200 monster will certainly give you a lot of room to grow.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:43 PM, Hoopster said:
I think he was commenting on the difference between your prior build with the D510 and this new one with an 8-core Xeon.

Your new build looks nice.  I am still very happy with my E3C246D4U/E-2288G in the Silverstone CS380.  I don't need more than 8 HDDs. 

The Antec 1200 monster will certainly give you a lot of room to grow.

Ah, gotcha! My mistake

That's good to know, the 88G CPU is non-existent and the 78G is quite expensive in the UK at the moment, coming in just under £500 

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rick Sanchez
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Can't get the CPU or MOBO anywhere in the UK :( 

Can you find the newer 10th generation ASRock W480D4U motherboard (about $280 here in the U.S) and the corresponding socket 1200 processors (W-1270, W-1270P and W-1290P)?

The W-1270 ($373) is roughly equivalent to the E-2278G.  The W-1270P is like the E-2288G and the W-1290P is 10 core/20 thread processor.

Edited by Hoopster

Thank you for your help :)

I can find:

Intel 8 Core Xeon W-1270P = £432.62

- ASRock W480D4U = £283.19

- Samsung 32GB ECC Registered DDR4 2666 MHz Server RAM Memory Module = £114.59

This doesn't include import fees for the motherboard from the US.

Total: £830.4 / $1,140.63

16 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

The CPU and RAM is £337.59 without VAT. With VAT, it's ££553.60 emoji24.png

You need an American friend making a trip to the UK soon with extra room in the luggage and "nothing to declare." 😁

On 2/6/2021 at 1:44 AM, Hoopster said:

You need an American friend making a trip to the UK soon with extra room in the luggage and "nothing to declare." 😁

Do you have another motherboard suggestion that I can try and find?

Thank you :) 

2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Do you have another motherboard suggestion that I can try and find?

If you want a server board with ECC support and IPMI you are pretty much limited to ASRock and SuperMicro.  Asus has some boards with ECC and socket 1151 support but no IPMI. They also have some other boards with some homegrown version of IPMI (can't remember what it is called; something like control center)

Of course, the problem with any socket 1151 or socket 1200 board is locating the Xeon CPUs at a reasonable price.

Here's a popular SuperMicro 1151 board and here is a new SuperMicro socket 1200 board.

If you don't care about Xeon, ECC, IPMI, etc, I am sure can find a suitable "consumer/gaming" board that would work well.

Edited by Hoopster
3 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Ideally, I want a Xeon / ECC S 1200 setup as they are designed for 24/7 use?

If IPMI is not a top priority, then your options are expanded a bit, but for Xeon and socket 1200 support you do need to look for boards with the W480 chipset.

Although "server/workstation" boards are designed for 24x7 use, there are probably many consumer motherboards that could do that as well.  I do run my system 24x7 and I am fairly confident in my Xeon, ECC, IPMI setup to be able to handle that.  That does not mean nothing else will, just that I know similar (but usually more high-end) configurations are used in data centers.

12 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

If IPMI is not a top priority, then your options are expanded a bit, but for Xeon and socket 1200 support you do need to look for boards with the W480 chipset.

Although "server/workstation" boards are designed for 24x7 use, there are probably many consumer motherboards that could do that as well.  I do run my system 24x7 and I am fairly confident in my Xeon, ECC, IPMI setup to be able to handle that.  That does not mean nothing else will, just that I know similar (but usually more high-end) configurations are used in data centers.

What non-Asrocck board would you buy now if you had to?

30 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

What non-Asrocck board would you buy now if you had to?

Probably the SuperMicro X12SCA (No IPMI) or the X12SCA-F (with IPMI). 

Two things I do not like about these boards compared to ASRock:

• They have a worthless PCI slot (who has PCI cards anymore?)
  • They have only 4 SATA ports compared to 8 on the ASRock boards

As I said, Asus is getting more into server/workstation and not just consumer boards.  They also have a decent W480 offering without IPMI that might be worth looking into.

I have gone ASRock on my last few builds because they tend to offer the features I am looking for with a solid reputation and are usually less expensive than SuperMicro.

I have had good luck in the past with Asus consumer boards but I don't have any experience with their server/workstation boards.

8 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Probably the SuperMicro X12SCA (No IPMI) or the X12SCA-F (with IPMI). 

Two things I do not like about these boards compared to ASRock:

• They have a worthless PCI slot (who has PCI cards anymore?)
  • They have only 4 SATA ports compared to 8 on the ASRock boards

As I said, Asus is getting more into server/workstation and not just consumer boards.  They also have a decent W480 offering without IPMI that might be worth looking into.

I have gone ASRock on my last few builds because they tend to offer the features I am looking for with a solid reputation and are usually less expensive than SuperMicro.

I have had good luck in the past with Asus consumer boards but I don't have any experience with their server/workstation boards.

What are the major differences between the Xeon 1200 series and the i9 series?

I'm really struggling to source parts! :(

25 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

What are the major differences between the Xeon 1200 series and the i9 series?

ECC RAM support (and sometime more RAM overall and that is about it.  Sometimes there are some differences in clock speed as well with the core i7/i9s having higher clocks speed.

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Or do I go down the AMD route? emoji848.pngemoji2369.png

And if so, what setup?

X570 motherboard.  ASRock even has this x570 board for Ryzen that supports IPMI.  That is a one-of-a-kind board.  Of course there are lots of X570 boards that do not have IPMI.  Many Ryzen/X570 boards also support ECC RAM if that matters at all.  It is really not an absolute necessity.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:00 AM, Hoopster said:

ECC RAM support (and sometime more RAM overall and that is about it.  Sometimes there are some differences in clock speed as well with the core i7/i9s having higher clocks speed.

X570 motherboard.  ASRock even has this x570 board for Ryzen that supports IPMI.  That is a one-of-a-kind board.  Of course there are lots of X570 boards that do not have IPMI.  Many Ryzen/X570 boards also support ECC RAM if that matters at all.  It is really not an absolute necessity.

UPDATED - 11/02/2021:

So, I have refocused my requirements to:

I need:
- DDR4, 
- PCIE 4.0 for my graphics card 
- A .M2 slot for my unused 1TB M2 drive - If I can use my M2 drive as a cache drive?

My case is currently setup for 10x 3.5" Drives, but if I add more, it will be a maximum of two, using single drive 5.52 to 3.5 bay conversations. 

I have 2x Blue-Ray Drives installed at the moment, but, it will end up as one.

Would this fit my requirements?

Intel Xeon W-1270P
Gigabyte W480m Vision W OR A suggested board?
Samsung 32GB ECC Registered DDR4 2666 MHz

Would this setup have iGPU? Is iGPU built into the CPU and if yes, would any eight port SATA with DD4 memory + M2 slot do for my user case?

From what I have read, the iGPU on its own can trancode up to four seperate individual 4K streams in Plex, without using the PCI graphics card?

If that is true, would this free up my graphics card completely for my two VM's?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Rick Sanchez
12 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

- PCIE 4.0 for my graphics card 

The W480/Z490 chipsets supports PCIe 3.0; no 4.0 support yet.  You would have to wait for the new Z590/W580 boards supposedly coming out later this year with PCIe 4.0 support.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201910/intel-w480-chipset.html

If you need PCIe 4.0 now, X570/Ryzen is your only option.