Recommended controllers for Unraid

Hello guys ! I built my setup recently on a ASRock H310CM-DVS with an i5 8400T.

The MB doesn't have any NVME support and i wanted to add a cache drive to my setup so i bought this while following the recommended controller: https://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/composants-informatiques/carte-d-extension-pcie3-0-x4-a-2-ports-m-2-b-key-c/f-1071311-sod4714229560738.html (Asmedia 1164).

Problem is it's compatible with NVME B_key and not regular M. I got a Crucial P3 plus for cache and i also need at least 2 additional SATA ports for my drives. Do you have a recommendation, i'll return the card i bought.

Thanks !

1 hour ago, Taleoo said:

Problem is it's compatible with NVME B_key and not regular

Yep, ASM1164 is a SATA controller, I think it will be difficult to get 2 SATA ports + NVMe in the same card, don't remember ever seeing anything like that.

26 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Yep, ASM1164 is a SATA controller, I think it will be difficult to get 2 SATA ports + NVMe in the same card, don't remember ever seeing anything like that.

Okay so it's better to get a SATA card with one of the recommended controllers on my PCIEx4 slot and a PCIEx16 card for an NVME slot?

Thanks

EDIT : Maybe something like that PCIe-NVME paired with a JMB585 card like this : JMB585 card NVME ?

Edited by Taleoo
On 11/16/2022 at 2:18 PM, cpu said:

I bought "Die-Wu ASM1166 6 port SATA PCIEx2 adapter from aliexpress" it has red heatsink and red SATA ports on back of card.

PXL_20221116_181127872.thumb.jpg.39c7cb042ee0881e56027428e155d5e4.jpg

In mean time ordered ECS06 just in case and to be honest it's not always an easy task to upgrade this ASM1166.

Even with SilverStone I had couple failes when software didn't recognize my card properly, found out that I already had latest firmware on ECS06 but flashed in anyway - if there are any problems just start flashing software once again until it'll say "It can take some time to detect devices - please be patient".

So let's dive into Die-Wu -> it was not recognized (used same software that came with ECS06) - and firmware was outdated from 2019, but I managed to flash it without any major issues - now it has same firmware (you can check this on POST screen).

where did you get the firmware and flasher to update the ASM1166 - I have this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005225401697.html but it doesnt like me using Powertop --autotune so maybe new firmware will help??

On 3/31/2024 at 2:44 PM, eicar said:

I have a question about the ASMedia chipset ASM1061 for PCIe 2.0 x1 to dual SATA at 500 MB/s each, which is perfect for SATA SSDs at (almost) full speed:

https://www.asmedia.com.tw/product/77BYq58SX3HyepH7/58dYQ8bxZ4UR9wG5

No... it is not.. PCIE 2.0 x1 means a total of 500MB/s bandwidth split over 2 ports.. so fine for HDDs but will bottleneck SSDs. 

PCIE 1.0 250MB/s/lane

PCIE 2.0 500MB/s/lane

PCIE 3.0 1000MB/s/lane (appx)

• Like 1