Recommended controllers for Unraid

1 hour ago, Ethnod said:

Would someone be able to please confirm for me if this card will work to expand my storage?

I am not an expert on HBA cards, but here is what I can tell you about the card you linked:

• It uses the ASMedia 1061 chipset which supports 2 SATA ports.
  • Although the ASM1061 supports port multipliers (bad for use with Unraid) this card does not appear to utilize port multipliers.
  • The card specs state is uses 4 host controllers (ASM1061 chips) onboard which would support 8 SATA drives without multipliers.
  • image.png.8b6f3440c16ec20f9042a7c653aa5f9b.png
  • The card is PCIe 2.0 which means after subtracting 20% for overhead (typical), This PCIe x4 card would have 1600 MB/s available bandwidth for 8 SATA drives or ~200 MB/s per drive when all drives are in use simultaneously (parity checks and disk rebuilds). This is sufficient for most HDDs.
  • You may wish to avoid connecting SDDs to this card although it says it does support TRIM operations (many HBAs do not support TRIM).  Bandwidth for a SATA SDD would be limited.

Many ASMedia cards are known to work well with Unraid as long as you avoid the ones with port multipliers.

Edited by Hoopster

Hi,

Hope my question is okay in this thread.

I am building a new compact Unraid box, as a much needed upgrade to my old one. Will be use an Intel i3-12100 with an ASUS PRIME H610I-PLUS D4 mother board. This board only has 4 SATA ports, so was planning to expand this to a total of 8 using a 4 port pcie - Asmedia ASM1064 - this one specifically if important: https://www.delock.com/produkt/90010/merkmale.html

Everything is on the way to me, but suddenly I am in doubt if when using this pcie card, the sata ports on the motherboard will be disabled - leaving me with just the 4 sata ports on the expansion card now?

If that is the case - would using a sata expansion card in the m2 slot be the way to go instead?

Edited by Underberg
Silly spelling..
12 hours ago, Underberg said:

was planning to expand this to a total of 8

May I ask which compact case you're planning to use?

8 HDDs in a min-ITX case sounds like a very difficult task to make it work.

Or is it 6 HDDs + 2 SSDs?

Edited by Lolight
8 hours ago, JorgeB said:

They won't be disabled.

Amazing - thanks!

6 hours ago, Lolight said:

May I ask which compact case you're planning to use?

8 HDDs in a min-ITX case sounds like a very difficult task to make it work.

Or is it 6 HDDs + 2 SSDs?

A Silverstone DS380

• Thanks 1

Hello JorgeB,

I bought this card : https://www.amazon.fr/BEYIMEI-contrôleur-dextension-Adaptateur-Ordinateur/dp/B07PRRQ41J/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It is a ASM1061, which is supposed to work with Unraid.

After plug-in it (with one SSD attached), four drives (connected to the motherboard) went in error state, and one of these (non-pool drives) were "disabled" (following your advice, i ran a filesystem check and it is now rebuilding).

I don't undertand why.

I have 2 CGs (PCIe 3.0 x8 and x4) and one HBA LSI 9200-8i (PCIe 3.0 x2, if i understand well my ASRock X570S PG Riptide motherboard), and two PCIe 1x port are masked (because of CG), so only have one PCI 1x availaible. I thought it was a good option.

Do you think i can try your "4 ports: Asmedia ASM1064 (PCIe 3.0 x1)" (like this one : https://www.amazon.fr/IO-Crest-ASMedia-Non-Raid-Support/dp/B08J2PK1HF), or i will have the same issue ?

Thanks for your time,

K.

IMG_4045.jpeg

IMG_4048.jpeg

IMG_4049.jpeg

Capture d’écran 2023-06-02 à 22.31.02.png

Hi, I need an advice.

I bought 16 wd red plus HDDs, 4 SSDs and a meshify 2 xl case which has space for all my drives in storage layout. I wanted to make a fast and very big HDD storage for my PC, using windows Storage Spaces in RAID10 mode with ReFS file system, but I soon found out that my 2 Adaptec 7805 raid controllers are HOT. Like, 115 C° in HBA mode. I can return it to Amazon because they also didn't had cables listed in their description, but now I need to pick another 2 8i raid or HBA/IT controllers. Ones that aren't super hot.

Could you please recommend me a RAID/IT/HBA controller with 2 internal SAS ports (usually marked as 8i) which has a reasonable price and can work in a normal PC case with 6 fans on like 1000-1200 RPM staying at least under 100 C°?

7 hours ago, Thatstoohot said:

Could you please recommend me a RAID/IT/HBA controller with 2 internal SAS ports (usually marked as 8i) which has a reasonable price and can work in a normal PC case with 6 fans on like 1000-1200 RPM staying at least under 100 C°?

Unless one of those fans is blowing air directly on the HBAs, like a side case fan, it likely won't be enough, these are server controllers that require a decent amount of airflow around them.

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Unless one of those fans is blowing air directly on the HBAs, like a side case fan, it likely won't be enough, these are server controllers that require a decent amount of airflow around them.

I would give it a try. I will just add some active cooling if the controller you would recommend will overheat too.