[SOLVED] Networking: Static Route on Unraid for HomeAssistant & WireGuard

I have Home Assistant Core running as a VM (192.168.0.37) and i also have WireGuard VPN running on the Unraid server. I can't get the HomeAssistant app that runs on my mobile to connect to my Home Assistant Core VM when away from home while im running WireGuard VPN on the phone.

I presume this is a static route issue since WireGuard is running on 10.253.0.0 and my Home Network & HomeAssistant is on 192.168.0.0. My crappy home router doesn't have any option to set up static routes or vlans or anything advanced.

Is there a way within Unraid to get these two networks talking to each other or is my only option a router upgrade or some kind of Frankenstein Pfsense Unraid VM setup.

Bare with me, i am not a a network guy so some terminology may be incorrect. 

Edited by CatMilk
Marking topic as solved
13 hours ago, rachid596 said:

Very strange. Try to delete cache and restart everything.

Envoyé de mon HD1913 en utilisant Tapatalk

No. That doesn't fix it.

I can reach my Docker containers just fine. Sonarr, Lidarr, Radarr, Emby etc no problem on either VPN type below

• remote tunneled access
  • remote access to lan 

But i can't ping my Home Assistant Core VM server from my mobile over either of the above VPN types. 

On wireguard on the right side my screen is the below message:

Remark: docker containers on custom networks need static routing 10.253.0.0/24 to 192.168.0.214

So my Dockers are getting around this with the Unraid Docker "macvlan" network but is there a work around or a "macvlan" style of config for a VM?

• AceRimmer changed the title to [SOLVED] Networking: Static Route on Unraid for HomeAssistant & WireGuard
  • 3 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 8:39 AM, CatMilk said:

I can access the HA server with the DuckDNS url on the mobile app and it signs in over SSL.

Sorry to drag this up after so long, I'm just now trying to do the same thing.

The way I read this, you're just opening access from the outside? Or are you still connected to wireguard and accessing the HA VM via hostname?

2 hours ago, northirid said:

Sorry to drag this up after so long, I'm just now trying to do the same thing.

The way I read this, you're just opening access from the outside? Or are you still connected to wireguard and accessing the HA VM via hostname?

I am not using wireguard to connect to the virtual machine. I am only using DuckDNS.

My virtual machine is forwarding to an outside port which points to my DuckDNS URL and this is how I login to home assistant outside of my LAN. It works perfectly. 

If you search on YouTube for "DuckDNS Letsencrypt Home Assistant" you can see how it is done.  

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2022 at 8:09 AM, PlanetDyna said:

Wireguard VPN tells me:
Remark: configure your router with a static route of 10.8.0.0/24 to 192.168.12.151

What is wrong?

In my router (Ubiquiti USG), the static route configuration looks like this with WireGuard network as Destination Network and unRAID IP address as Next Hop:

image.thumb.png.f8f873a4c24a6b7f72160a055a7d1b4b.png

In fact, I have three different instances of WireGuard on my LAN each with a static route.

image.thumb.png.8f99d179bf193a4945d79afcf6333651.png

Is the configuration screenshot from your router a static route or is it some other kind of routing rule?