unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta4 Available

limetech

What is the "SLOT" concept thing?

Explained earlier in the thread.

Also I remember now the original reason why unRAID started out with "slots".  Circa 2005, "sweet spot" of drive capacity was around 250GB, and in addition, so-called "white label" hard drives were readily available for a substantial discount.  Buying white label drives was something like buying "generic" wine at Trader Joe's.  Most times you got something really good, occasionally you'd get vinegar :)  But in all cases, white label drives had no serial number, typically set to all-zeros.  Hence unRAID could not identify drives unless either I write some kind of info somewhere on the drive, or relied on "slots" to detect drive removal/upgrade/etc.  I chose the latter.

BTW, 5.0-beta5 should be posted later today  ;)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's roughly around the time I picked up 8 250GB PATA drives ultra cheap and threw them into a RAID5 array. Some drives failed early on, while others are still functioning today. It was definitely a different time then, definitely a roll the dice and see what you get. The RMA process was more troublesome as well, typically having to get on the phone and be walked through the tech-support troubleshooting script before being granted an RMA.

8)

What is the "SLOT" concept thing?

Explained earlier in the thread.

Also I remember now the original reason why unRAID started out with "slots".  Circa 2005, "sweet spot" of drive capacity was around 250GB, and in addition, so-called "white label" hard drives were readily available for a substantial discount.  Buying white label drives was something like buying "generic" wine at Trader Joe's.  Most times you got something really good, occasionally you'd get vinegar :)  But in all cases, white label drives had no serial number, typically set to all-zeros.  Hence unRAID could not identify drives unless either I write some kind of info somewhere on the drive, or relied on "slots" to detect drive removal/upgrade/etc.  I chose the latter.

Thanks Tom, I look forward to no more SLOTS

Come on Beta 5!!!!  :)

Tom, do you think this will be the last beta before RC?

If the next release is stable enough, I just might risk my server and use it. As long as Airvideo and subsonic continues to work properly with the new release, then I am set.

Some advice on when to start using betas and new releases

Thanks for the great guide bjp999. Added it to my favorites. That thread should stickied and on the WIKI.