Gigabyte B460M DS3H Missing fan info and control ITE IT8688E not detected

I am on version 6.9.0 RC2

I have been trying to find a way to get control of my fans through unraid.

So far I have found one method which I do not particulary like found here

I have also found a discussion regarding this issue here it seems like the better solution than changing the above mentioned parameter.

This is the potential risk with using "acpi_enforce_resources=lax"

With previous kernels hwmon drivers used to drive IO ranges which were potentially used by the ACPI code in your BIOS (which is active not only during but also after boot), we now explicitly check for this and if the ACPI code claims the IO-ports used by the hwmon chip, we no longer allow the hwmon driver to load.

Banging IO-ports of a chip from 2 different drivers, the Linux hwmon driver and the ACPI code is a really bad idea and can cause all sort of issues (including things like changing CPU / RAM voltage or clock speed). So the old behaviour was a really bad idea.

So even though this change in behaviour makes some people unhappy as to old behaviour happened to work without problems in their case (by sheer luck really), this change is really for the best!

If you have an Asus motherboard, chances are good there is an ACPI interface to read your sensors, which is safe, and no more sensors.conf tweaking needed for conversion formulas! Make sure you have the asus_atk0110 driver enabled in your kernel configuration to use this. You will also need lm-sensors version 3.1.0 or later.

If you want to restore the old behaviour (which might be dangerous) add: "acpi_enforce_resources=lax" to the kernel cmdline when booting

I have been trying to follow the install instructions for the driver but I run into this error when running make command.

make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'modules'.  Stop.
make: *** [Makefile:73: modules] Error 2

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Edited by LushFire
  • LushFire changed the title to Gigabyte B460M DS3H Missing fan info and control ITE IT8688E not detected
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 12:47 AM, LushFire said:

I have also found a discussion regarding this issue here it seems like the better solution than changing the above mentioned parameter.

I have been trying to follow the install instructions for the driver but I run into this error when running make command.

Any luck with getting it to work? I'm thinking of getting the Gigabyte Aorus Master z490 which has the 8688e sensor.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2021 at 2:47 AM, LushFire said:

Have you tried this?

https://github.com/t-8ch/linux-gigabyte-wmi-driver

I have the same model, considering whether to give it a try.

• 2 years later...