AMD Radeon RX 6800XT passthrough hints

zeus83

9 hours ago, trig229 said:

Hi @lnxd, sorry my bad!  I hadn't initiated the issue when i took that diagnostic dump so it wouldn't shown anything! 

Haha no worries, as far as it looks, the card is resetting correctly. Did you notice if one core get stuck at 100% when this happens? Easiest way to see this is probably from Unraid dash, but you can see it via Task Manager or by running top as well. That'd be a sure sign the vBIOS you're using is causing problems, and you'd want to dump it yourself. 

I hate to be the link guy but I'm a little stumped, but I think you're on the right track already with the changes you made to your XML. I came across this comment for someone having the same issue with a 6800XT on Reddit that says:

I think you need to do the "code 43" fix for nvidia, it also seems to have driver install issues with newer amd cards.

OP said they resolved it:

TL;DR: Needed the vendor_id and hidden kvm options to fix the Windows guest

I'm guessing you've tried this from your XML. Does setting a vendor ID with a valid format like 0x0438 make a difference?:

<hyperv>
      <relaxed state='on'/>
      <vapic state='on'/>
      <spinlocks state='on' retries='8191'/>
      <vendor_id state='on' value='0x0438'/>
    </hyperv>
    <kvm>
      <hidden state='on'/>
    </kvm>

Also this slightly less relevant but potentially very useful post on Level1techs could provide some possible solutions, ranging from confirming that your GPU is configured correctly in your BIOS to some potential XML tweaks.

9 hours ago, trig229 said:

Not even tried passing through WIFI yet,  that's for another time :P 

😅 it'll work out-of-the-box in Windows, when I was trying to get it working in linux there were no compatible drivers. 

Edited by lnxd
  • Thanks 1

@lnxd & @trig229

Hey guys!!

I'm a little confused right now as I went through this recent posts... Sry had a tough week working, so answering took a while now..

Everyones rx 6800xt is working now, right?! :D:D 

AX200 passthrough is fine in my windows and macos vm, but I never added it to my ubuntu vm.. Do you have an issue with linux? What is it?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, giganode said:

Everyones rx 6800xt is working now, right?! :D:D 

Haha no worries! Just @trig229 is having trouble now.

4 hours ago, giganode said:

AX200 passthrough is fine in my windows and macos vm, but I never added it to my ubuntu vm.. Do you have an issue with linux? What is it?

Sadly the drivers don't work, but I don't want to hijack this post 😅 I think this answer looks promising for my problem, I'll give it a shot when I get some time.

1 hour ago, lnxd said:

Haha no worries! Just @trig229 is having trouble now.

Sadly the drivers don't work, but I don't want to hijack this post 😅 I think this answer looks promising for my problem, I'll give it a shot when I get some time.

Still 43?

sudo apt install backport-iwlwifi-dkms

Did you try this one?

• Thanks 1

You guys, this is the weirdest thing. My UnRaid server has a 6800 and a 6800XT. Both have been working perfectly since February.

Yesterday, I installed water blocks on both cards. Since I did that, now, reset doesn't work anymore. If I reboot the VM, the display doesn't come back, and one CPU thread assigned to the VM gets stuck at around 87%.

Changing the cooler on these cards couldn't possibly cause this, right? The only other thing I did was install an NVME SSD in the M.2 slot. Do you think that could cause reset to fail for both cards?

Edit: False alarm. It was because the new SSD changed the IOMMU groups and for some reason, UnRaid stopped stubbing the serial bus controller for each card. This was causing reset to not work.

Just in case anyone needs to know, or in case I forget this again (lol), these are the devices that need to be passed through for an AMD reference card. Obviously, your PCIe IDs will be different.

AMD Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT (0a:00.0)

AMD Device (0a:00.1) <--- sound card

AMD Device | USB controller (0a:00.2)

AMD Device | Serial bus controller (0a:00.3)

Edited by cyberspectre
  • Like 1

Hi @lnxd, thanks for checking, it at least confirms in not doing anything obvious and it should "just work".  FYI no CPU maxing out, just for the first few seconds during bios start and then it all levels out.  

I have previously done the vendor ID, but i will re-do again as well as the other options as that was when i first started troubleshooting so i may have missed something out, i will let you know how i get on.  

The disablement of the SR-IOV in the BIOS was a line of thought i had been down in before, but made no difference 

@giganode Unfortunately yes, using the tech power up (or completely removing the vbios) had no change on the issue.  First VM start no issues, all subsequent reboots/starts gives me a code43 until host restart.  

• Like 1
On 4/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, trig229 said:

@giganode Unfortunately yes, using the tech power up (or completely removing the vbios) had no change on the issue.  First VM start no issues, all subsequent reboots/starts gives me a code43 until host restart.  

S**t... which vendor is it? which model?

On 4/15/2021 at 4:07 AM, giganode said:

S**t... which vendor is it? which model?

I think @trig229 is having trouble with a Sapphire RX 6800 XT 16 GB Nitro+ from their logs. 

On 4/11/2021 at 9:25 AM, giganode said:

sudo apt install backport-iwlwifi-dkms

Did you try this one?

Yes I did! And I tried to get it working again today, but still no luck. But it's okay, I don't need to use it with linux anymore.

I got it to use with tuya-convert, but I ended up using an Arduino Uno to flash the chips directly anyway. At least it works with my Windows VM so it's not a complete waste 🤷‍♂️

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar setup with ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, Ryzen 9 5950x, and AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (reference), running Unraid 6.9.2 with a Windows 10 VM. I found that adding "video=efifb:off" was required in the Syslinux configurations:

append initrd=/bzroot video=efifb:off

Binding the 4 IOMMU groups to VFIO at boot wasn't enough apparently. I'm using Q35-5.1 and also have Smart Access Memory enabled in the BIOS, although it's set to AUTO (there is only DISABLED and AUTO). I found I had to reinstall the Radeon driver after getting it to boot. I also found that it failed to work with the GPU as the secondary graphics, with VNC graphics as primary. I had to remove the VNC graphics.

Edited by Ancalagon

Received a 6900xt on friday.

Works ootb in legacy (csm) with windows, but doesnt work if I boot unraid in uefi mode atm. 

Generally, getting a video output when starting win10-vm takes quite a while... my 5700xt was way quicker.

My Ubuntu vm just stays black... but I guess it is a driver issue.

Need to update BigSur for testing the gpu within macOS, but I don't actually want to switch to the beta builds... Hopefully they release 11.4 quickly...

Edited by giganode
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, just wanted to provide an update. 

After trying all the things on various sites my 6800 xt still did not want to display after a reboot. 

However! Installed the latest AMD driver 21.6.1 today and viola, it's now working sweet. Reboots. Shutdowns the lot, no problems at all

So looks like in the end there was a driver issue, can't see what exactly in the release notes that fixed it, but finally all is good! 

A thanks to @lnxd in helping out and throwing some ideas about

Edited by trig229
Thanks
  • 5 months later...
On 5/9/2021 at 3:24 AM, Ancalagon said:

I have a similar setup with ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, Ryzen 9 5950x, and AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (reference), running Unraid 6.9.2 with a Windows 10 VM. I found that adding "video=efifb:off" was required in the Syslinux configurations:

append initrd=/bzroot video=efifb:off

Binding the 4 IOMMU groups to VFIO at boot wasn't enough apparently. I'm using Q35-5.1 and also have Smart Access Memory enabled in the BIOS, although it's set to AUTO (there is only DISABLED and AUTO). I found I had to reinstall the Radeon driver after getting it to boot. I also found that it failed to work with the GPU as the secondary graphics, with VNC graphics as primary. I had to remove the VNC graphics.

Hi, 

I wanted to ask if it is still working. I tried to enable SAM on my motherboard today but the VM would not start correctly. It would start (I could hear the logon sounds) but the screen would stay black. After a few minutes, the whole Unraid server crashed. How did you get it to work?

Should I remove the driver, then enable SAM, then start the VM with the GPU passed through and just install the driver again with something like Teamviewer?