10GbE Array OR cache pool?

Hey!

Im new to UnRAID but have tried to find information to help me choose the right way forward.

Today i have 4 spinners, and som SSDs not even plugged in yet.

I plan to run 10GbE within a year or two so this is for planning ahead.

To my understanding if i run all spinners in an array (lets skip the SSDs for now), im limited to the read/write speed of one drive.

But if I add the SSDs to a cache pool I do get the better speeds...fine and all BUT if someone during a LANparty want to grab a bunch of movies and at the same time someone access the LANcache (steamcache) that will be bottlenecked right?

My questions is essentially this

1. Can I have all spinners in one cache pool, skipping the Array all together? pros/cons?

2. If I have 4 spinners in an Array and 2x 500GB SSDs in raid1 wont the SSD be bottlenecked by trtying to access data on the single spinner holding the data in question?

thank you in advance! :)

1 hour ago, brittgoran said:

But if i have 10GbE, the thing is i want to achive ~900MB/s to the array. i do notice that i can select the share to be entierly on the cache pool so I can use all drives at once but even tho i have a raid5 cache pool it say the share is unprotected. 

Setting a share to cache only has no effect on files already on the array, and Mover ignores cache no and cache only shares. You will have to set the share to cache prefer to get Mover to move to cache. Also note Mover can't move open files 

@BRiT I agree but this is only for fetching files. Example:

Movies: stored in the Array

LanCache: Stored on Cache only

That way if during a LAN party someone needs to grab a large game (if they have a 10GbE card) that data reaches ~850MB/s

If grabbing a movie they get ~250MB/s.

@trurl I understand that :)

It is a newly created share created on the Cache pool as "Only" in the "use cache" option. What i plan to do is to only have the share in the Cache pool and not in the array at all.

20 minutes ago, brittgoran said:

It is a newly created share created on the Cache pool as "Only" in the "use cache" option. What i plan to do is to only have the share in the Cache pool and not in the array at all.

If you have btrfs raid5 pool and the share is showing unprotected it must have some files on the array.

You can see how much of each disk each user share is using by clicking Compute... for the share on the User Shares page.