Help me design my array layout

Here is the current list of drives that I have:

1x Hitachi Deskstar 3.5-Inch 2TB 7200RPM SATA II 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0S02861

8x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y250M0 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s

1x WD Caviar Green WD20EADS - Hard drive - 2 TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - buffer: 32 MB

1x WD Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

I bought the Hitachi specifically to be the Parity drive and that will be connected directly to a SATAII port on the MB.

The two WD drives and the eight Maxtor drives are all allocated to data and will be connected to 2 SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards.

I plan on phasing the Maxtors out since they are small and produce a LOT of heat!  (I will say this though about the Maxtors...I have had all 8 of them for 5 years running 24/7 and have never had a single issue!).

Is there any rhyme or reason to the ordering of the data drives (the WD's and the maxtors) based on speed, capacity and/or future replacement?

TIA for the help!!!

John

Sorry...one more question.

Are these cables OK to use with the AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250615109601

The part # looks right but the word "Discrete" threw me.  I haven't seen it used on any other product pages.

J

These cables are 1M long, which should be fine.  But normally the 0.5M are long enough.  SATA cables can be sensitive to long runs, and if you don't need the extra length I'd recommend the shorter ones.

I agree. Dump the 250's while prices are really cheap for a newer drive. Of course its going to cost you a bit more up front for the drive, but in the long run you will of only used up 4 ports opposed to 11 in your machine. I basically did the same thing. I had (4) 500's and I just bought (1) 2 TB opposed to being forced to buy a card. I later did when I found it on sale.

Save up for a later purchase of your expansion card and cables and you will be way ahead.

I agree. Dump the 250's while prices are really cheap for a newer drive. Of course its going to cost you a bit more up front for the drive, but in the long run you will of only used up 4 ports opposed to 11 in your machine. I basically did the same thing. I had (4) 500's and I just bought (1) 2 TB opposed to being forced to buy a card. I later did when I found it on sale.

Save up for a later purchase of your expansion card and cables and you will be way ahead.

It won't cost him more upfront because he also saves upfront:

1. $200 - 2x supermicro sata boards.

2. $60 - 4x SATA breakout cables

3. $50 - unRAID plus vs. pro license

and he only need to by $80 1x 2TB drive.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Honestly, since I already have the drives I am going to use them.  I don't have a lot of $$$ right now to invest in new drives.  I'd just rather deal with teh electric bill for the time being.  The wife (as far as she knows) can't directly blame me for that!  :)   Hard drive purchases she can!

Thanks again,

John

Thanks for the replies guys.

Honestly, since I already have the drives I am going to use them.  I don't have a lot of $$$ right now to invest in new drives.  I'd just rather deal with teh electric bill for the time being.  The wife (as far as she knows) can't directly blame me for that!  :)   Hard drive purchases she can!

Thanks again,

John

So you already have the 2x AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards? That was my first question.