What's the deal with cron on Unraid???

NAStyBox

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

I tried crontab -e, and the next day my entry was gone, and never executed. 

I read something on reddit about creating a name.cron file on the boot drive in the plugins folder, and that worked as well as my first try. 

Where should I be adding cron jobs in Unraid?

1 hour ago, NAStyBox said:

tried crontab -e, and the next day my entry was gone, and never executed

That would be expected if you reboot the server as you are editing a location that only in RAM.

for plugins, create a .cron file in the folder specific to that plugin.

For other cases easiest way to do it is install the User Scripts plugin.

there are other possibilities but the two mentioned above are the easiest.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

That would be expected if you reboot the server as you are editing a location that only in RAM.

for plugins, create a .cron file in the folder specific to that plugin.

For other cases easiest way to do it is install the User Scripts plugin.

there are other possibilities but the two mentioned above are the easiest.

Ahh, thank you. So the Reddit doc was wrong, and you all have broken the crontab functionality. Because on every other flavor of Linux I've used crontab -e writes to files, not memory. 

Things like that should become a feature of the Unraid GUI, and running crontab at the CLI should direct folks to that method. Just sayin. 

2 minutes ago, NAStyBox said:

Ahh, thank you. So the Reddit doc was wrong, and you all have broken the crontab functionality. Because on every other flavor of Linux I've used crontab -e writes to files, not memory. 

Things like that should become a feature of the Unraid GUI, and running crontab at the CLI should direct folks to that method. Just sayin. 

Then by that argument, all of Unraid is "broken" since it's not a traditional Linux distro.

How Unraid does cron with user submitted .cron files is rather ingenious since if a particular app / plugin is not installed or running, then it's cron entries are not added, and in safe mode none of the cron's are parsed, as they could have adverse affects upon the system.

• Haha 3
24 minutes ago, NAStyBox said:

Not quite true :) 

Unraid still writes to files but the root file system is in RAM so unless action is taken to persist the change to permanent storage it gets lost on reboot.

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

Then by that argument, all of Unraid is "broken" since it's not a traditional Linux distro.

How Unraid does cron with user submitted .cron files is rather ingenious since if a particular app / plugin is not installed or running, then it's cron entries are not added, and in safe mode none of the cron's are parsed, as they could have adverse affects upon the system.

Broken, poorly thought out alpha-ware, call it what you will. But when basic functionality has been removed from something like the OS this claims to run on that functionality should be available elsewhere in a prominent location. Not a "user scripts" plugin. 

...and FYI, this is the kind of thing that makes people ABSOLUTELY DESPISE Linux. To watch people eff things up seemingly for the sake of creating a fruitless learning curve and then call it "ingenious" is infuriating. "Adverse effects on the system". LOL... Please, let's not get into why if anyone ever tried to use this product in an enterprise environment the number of hours before their termination could be tallied with fingers. 

As Unraid is targeted at home users, the level of frustration required to use it should decrease with every release, not increase.  It does work well for home use. The problem is there are design flaws like this that make it as annoying as some enterprise products without any of the benefits such as viable security and stability. 

2 hours ago, NAStyBox said:

Broken, poorly thought out alpha-ware, call it what you will. But when basic functionality has been removed from something like the OS this claims to run on that functionality should be available elsewhere in a prominent location. Not a "user scripts" plugin. 

The problem with your assertion is that you're equating using Unraid to using Linux.  Just because Unraid uses linux as it's base OS does not mean you are running a linux OS and you shouldn't expect it to be the same with the same features and functions. 

Windows 10 S is different from Windows 10 Home/Pro/Education/Enterprise but you wouldn't expect Windows 10 S to have the same features as the Enterprise version, right? Just because Windows 10 S is built on the same platform as the other editions features are removed/limited.  While this isn't an exact comparison to Unraid it's the same basic principal.. don't use Unraid for the features it has and then bitch about the features it never advertised to have in the first place -- you want to alter the use case so that's not Unraid's fault.

There is a painfully easy way of implementing custom cron jobs with the User Scripts plugin but "you" don't think that's good enough?  You talk of ease of use and levels of frustration but you think that cron from a command line is easier to use and implement than using a GUI website for creating the script and scheduling? I think you're a little bit backwards there.  You despise linux but you want to use it's command line for functions rather than the website... you make no sense in your argument.

Further, as part of your argument to try and prove to yourself that you are even more right you mention using Unraid in an enterprise environment.  That point has nothing to do with anything, actually it was kind of weak.  If someone in a legitimate enterprise environment were to use Unraid for something that it wasn't designed for then that's on them.  Unraid does not claim anywhere to be for use in an enterprise environment.  Try again.

So the last thing I'll say is that you spent some time in this thread trying to down talk Unraid, why are you using it then?  Nobody is forcing you to use it.  You have other options.  If it doesn't suit your needs then unplug your flash drive and go somewhere else.  You offer no suggestions on what should be looked at to fix or improve (there's actually a forum for that if you could construct a well thought out suggestion with actual details other than "unraid cron sucks").

Have a nice day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I just use User.Scripts. Everything is in one place and its super easy to plugin cron jobs. 

I've been playing with one flavor or another of Linux since 1999 or a bit earlier. I have forgotten more than I'd like to admit, but lets face it unraid is super easy to use and its very attractive to those with very limited Linux experience. We are using it for mass storage and it does it very well. 

This is a key feature of Unraid, if you muck about on the command line and make a mistake, all you have to do to get back to a working system is reboot (within reason of course, if you rm -rf your drives then a reboot won't fix that :) ) This because the root filesystem is created in RAM so any changes will be lost when you reboot.

The corollary to this is if you do something on the command line and you *want* it to persist across reboots, then you need to take some extra steps.

The config/go script on your flash drive is one way to accomplish this. Just add any commands you want to that file and they will be executed when the system boots.

The User Scripts plugin provides a nice GUI alternative for this sort thing. You can create a script and schedule it to run at boot or on a cron, etc.

2 hours ago, NAStyBox said:

Oh my god just stop. You people are hopeless. 

Sorry you are here since 2017 and don't know that Unraid is executed from RAM...?

7 hours ago, NAStyBox said:

As Unraid is targeted at home users

That's because Plugins exist to make it user friendly with a GUI.

Most users here doesn't use linux or are familar with the CLI.

Y'know, I'd really like to engage you folks on this, but I won't. All I'm going to do is point out what's obvious to anyone that has ever marketed software professionally. 

1. NO ONE has asked me why I was annoyed at the difficulty of determining a way to schedule a simple task in the product. 
2. NO ONE has asked me for specific feedback regarding the "user scripts" plugin as a solution. 
3. NO ONE has asked me what could have made the experience a better one. 

Instead I get an empty-handed defense of the morbidly ineffective that for some odd reason at least one of you believes adds value here. 

...and with that I'll leave you with my response to people when I see someone ask about Unraid. "It's a great core product for home use that I trust my data with. However it's cumbersome to use beyond the simple act of building it and creating shares, with limited focus on polishing the product to overcome those issues by its development team. But in the end because my data is safe, not completely secure but safe, I tolerate it. If I need something that does more than provide a stable array I've found running a second product to accomplish those tasks is probably the better way to go." WOW, I've hoped for a long time that I could say something better. But instead I find myself testing Xpenology and taking a 5th look at Freenas, or whatever they're calling it this week. Sadly, for my purposes nothing has changed yet. 

1 hour ago, NAStyBox said:

Instead I get an empty-handed defense of the morbidly ineffective that for some odd reason at least one of you believes adds value here. 

This is the community forums, you have always the opinion to get in touch with the developers of Unraid itself or make a post on the Feature Request sub forums, I think you got answers that are mostly defensive because people here love using Unraid and fit's their needs with all the Plugins, Apps and storage solutions are available for it. ;)

16 hours ago, NAStyBox said:

Oh my god just stop. You people are hopeless. 

This comment, and others a little before this post, was a little offensive from my perspective and maybe that is the reason why most people would take a defensive stance... :/

• Like 3
5 hours ago, NAStyBox said:

Y'know, I'd really like to engage you folks on this, but I won't. 

Followed by an entire paragraph of whining? Come on guy..  your position hasn't gotten any better.  You sound like a whiny little... Karen. 

5 hours ago, NAStyBox said:

1. NO ONE has asked me why I was annoyed at the difficulty of determining a way to schedule a simple task in the product. 
2. NO ONE has asked me for specific feedback regarding the "user scripts" plugin as a solution. 

Instead I get an empty-handed defense

1. YOU 

2. YOU

3. YOU

Have not offered any thoughts, solutions, ideas, hypotheses, feedback, constructive criticism, or suggestions on any of the crap you are crying about.  

Instead the only thing you did was give an empty-handed cry fest about why you hate linux and instantly start bashing Unraid as a whole.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you're not going to get any sympathy, from anyone..  you responded like a baby snowflake.  When presented with why cron does not work like traditional linux your very first response was "you all have broken the crontab functionality".  Instantly argumentative and assigning blame, when clearly YOU did not know how things operate.  That's not an open door to "oh well then NAStyBox why do you feel like that, poor fella?  What can we do to make you feel better?"  After that you went down hill fast head first into a brick wall into hate-Unraid-ranting.

I find it funny that you link to Community Applications in your signature telling everyone to get it when Unraid is "Broken, poorly thought out alpha-ware", yet you use a plugin to install your apps.  Clearly you would rather have to compose all your dockers by the command line, right?  You want cron and "Not a "user scripts" plugin" so why do you use the Community Apps plugin to install things?  

Again you make no sense...  

6 hours ago, NAStyBox said:

Y'know, I'd really like to engage you folks on this, but I won't. All I'm going to do is point out what's obvious to anyone that has ever marketed software professionally. 

...and with that I'll leave you with my response to people when I see someone ask about Unraid. "It's a great core product for home use that I trust my data with. However it's cumbersome to use beyond the simple act of building it and creating shares, with limited focus on polishing the product to overcome those issues by its development team. But in the end because my data is safe, not completely secure but safe, I tolerate it. If I need something that does more than provide a stable array I've found running a second product to accomplish those tasks is probably the better way to go." WOW, I've hoped for a long time that I could say something better. But instead I find myself testing Xpenology and taking a 5th look at Freenas, or whatever they're calling it this week. Sadly, for my purposes nothing has changed yet. 

Thanks for the feedback. Please feel free to suggest product improvements here in Feature Requests  or you can always reach out to us at support@lime-technology.com. As things have gotten a little snarky, I am locking this thread now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1