[Solved] New Server not Posting

Swampy

I just recently built a new server but it will not post. Only the fans turn. It does not show error codes so I cant diagnose the problem. Could it be the CPU or the Mother Board be the issue?

CPU : I9 Unlocked

MB : GIGABYTE W480 VISION W LGA 1200 Intel W480 SATA 6Gb/s ATX

Thanks in advance

Edited by Swampy
SOLVED
16 minutes ago, Swampy said:

I just recently built a new server but it will not post. Only the fans turn. It does not show error codes so I cant diagnose the problem. Could it be the CPU or the Mother Board be the issue?

It could be either of those, or perhaps the RAM.  Check you have all the required power connector to the motherboard - sometimes the extra one gets omitted by accident..

Go back to basics and only plug in the minimum possible. NOTHING connected to the motherboard except power, power button, CPU and heatsink, and speaker if it's got a header for error code beeps. If possible, remove the motherboard from the chassis and set it on a piece of insulating material, the motherboard box is ideal for that.

At that point you should get an error for no memory. Add RAM, try again. Keep adding things one at a time until you hit the issue.

Thanks for you help. I have tried all that has been suggested and still no life. I have a power light on board and the fan on cpu is running. Nothing fron the hdmi port for monitor and still no error code.

I am running out of time for an RMA. Any experience on bad MB vs CPU?

33 minutes ago, SirReal63 said:

Which I9 processor?  Not all of them have graphics onboard.

Very valid point, but I was trying to establish that the motherboard could communicate with error codes, primarily the lack of RAM. I explicitly stated NOT to have anything hooked up to the board except power, CPU, power button and speaker if the motherboard didn't have one on board. Hooking up a monitor and looking for graphics is the next step AFTER establishing a pattern where adding RAM back to the motherboard causes a different error code. If the board won't notify about missing RAM, there's little point in proceeding to graphics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Swampy said:

Looking at the box there is no way of knowing...

Except by looking up the model number of the processor, which is why this was asked.

39 minutes ago, SirReal63 said:

Which I9 processor?

Your OP says

22 hours ago, Swampy said:

CPU : I9 Unlocked

Which isn't a valid intel model number.

9 minutes ago, Swampy said:

I purchased the CPU knowing it has graphics on board from Newegg. Looking at the box there is no way of knowing...

I looked at the pins on MB and it appears to have 5 missing pins. I see holes with no pins in it....

What is the SKU?  if it has an "F"  at the end it will not have graphics, as in i9-10900KF will not have graphics.

12 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Very valid point, but I was trying to establish that the motherboard could communicate with error codes, primarily the lack of RAM. I explicitly stated NOT to have anything hooked up to the board except power, CPU, power button and speaker if the motherboard didn't have one on board. Hooking up a monitor and looking for graphics is the next step AFTER establishing a pattern where adding RAM back to the motherboard causes a different error code. If the board won't notify about missing RAM, there's little point in proceeding to graphics.

I do not disagree, but I also don't like to make assumptions, so checking what the CPU is seemed important.  Knowing if it had a graphics processor would make any other testing moot if there was none.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, SirReal63 said:

I do not disagree, but I also don't like to make assumptions, so checking what the CPU is seemed important.  Knowing if it had a graphics processor would make any other testing moot if there was none.

Yep. I was just trying to distill the problem down to the very basics, as in, was the motherboard or CPU faulty?

Looking at the manual, the motherboard does NOT have an onboard speaker, so you must have one connected to the 4 pin header by the power button connector to get beep codes.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_w480-vision-w_1001_e.pdf#page=20

@Swampy, do you have a speaker connected there as I asked?

• Like 1

No speaker connected. I will add when I get a replacement MB. The CPU is 10900K so according to Sireal63 it does have Graphics Processor on it. Based on the missing pins on CPU socket I have gotten a RMA from Newegg.

TY for all of the suggestions guys. I would never of looked at the CPU socket and found the missing pins.

Edited by Swampy
  • Like 1
  • Swampy changed the title to [Solved] New Server not Posting