Backblaze and unraid?

Maverick52

Is there a way to use Backblaze's "personal backup" plan with an unraid server?

I know Crashplan can, but I don't feel very confident in their service after speaking with their customer support. They basically told me I should go elsewhere.

edit: I think I should clarify the purpose of my unraid server and my needs. I'm a photographer so I have a decently large amount of data (and it's always growing) that is simply being stored and not changed frequently. My current workflow is to ingest my photos onto my workstations SSD, over the course of the next few days to weeks I'll perform the work I do to the photos, and then once I'm finished with the photos they'll stay on the SSD for awhile until I transfer them to my storage (which was a Synology NAS but is now a unraid server). All I'm looking for is a backup solution in case of failed drives or a natural disaster or something. 

If I can't use backblaze personal directly from the unraid server, I think I could still run it from my workstation and have it backup everything, but I thought it would be nice to just have it all done on the server side.

Edited by Maverick52
20 minutes ago, Maverick52 said:

Is there a way to use Backblaze's "personal backup" plan with an unraid server?

No, they specifically say they will not backup NAS devices or any network attached storage under the personal plan, although they will backup attached external USB drives. 

The only way to backup unRAID shares with BackBlaze is with the much more expensive B2 service.

https://www.backblaze.com/business-nas-backup.html

I realize there is no official method and that they want you to use B2, I was just thinking there might be a work around. I know their Windows program wont pick up mapped network drives, but I wasn't sure if anyone else had tried other solutions.

I know Crashplan has a docker to use and doesn't cost much more, but their customer support really made it sound like their service wouldn't be very good for large amounts of data (I was specifically inquiring about over 10 TB of data).

12 minutes ago, Maverick52 said:

I realize there is no official method and that they want you to use B2, I was just thinking there might be a work around. I know their Windows program wont pick up mapped network drives, but I wasn't sure if anyone else had tried other solutions.

I know Crashplan has a docker to use and doesn't cost much more, but their customer support really made it sound like their service wouldn't be very good for large amounts of data (I was specifically inquiring about over 10 TB of data).

CrashPlan Pro is $10 a month for unlimited data backup.  I currently have 12TB backed up with CrashPlan.  I imagine that if I ever had to restore a good chunk of that, it could take many months to get it restored.  That's why CrashPlan is the backup of last resort.  I also backup to another unRAID server/array and I backup the most important data to external USB drives.

My initial backup of 5TB about 5 years ago took around 3-4 months. Since then it has grown to 12TB.

19 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

CrashPlan Pro is $10 a month for unlimited data backup.  I currently have 12TB backed up with CrashPlan.  I imagine that if I ever had to restore a good chunk of that, it could take many months to get it restored.  That's why CrashPlan is the backup of last resort.  I also backup to another unRAID server/array and I backup the most important data to external USB drives.

My initial backup of 5TB about 5 years ago took around 3-4 months. Since then it has grown to 12TB.

Good to hear you're doing ok with 12TB on their service. This is from the email they sent me, which is what kind of makes me nervous of their service.

"10TB in isolation shouldn't be unfeasible, so long as you adjust your configuration to be very different from the defaults, but it's also really quite a substantial quantity of data, and you'll be pushing the program.

The other factor to consider is backup and restore times. We set a guideline of expecting 10GB to 30GB of uploads per day, after the first week or so. New archives can oftentimes get a good half terabyte or so into the cloud at a breakneck pace, but once a large amount of data has been uploaded, the overhead catches up with the upload process, and it settles into more normal rates. What this means is that it could take years to upload 10TB of data, and if you're using it specifically for an emergency in which your local storage is lost, destroyed, or damaged, that means that it could take a very, very long time to recover that 10TB.

It's important to consider your backup strategy carefully. For such a large quantity of data, and the desire to use it only for emergencies, you'd likely have a better experience using a service designed for long-term archival storage of massive quantities of data, such as Amazon Glacier, or Google's Cloud Storage options."

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've been on BackBlaze's Personal backup plan for a long long time and I'm hopeful I can stay on it as I migrate from an unvirtualized Windows 10 PC into a Windows 10 VM running on Unraid.

Currently all the data I'm interested in protecting is on a USB attached drive array.  I'll migrate my BackBlaze license into a Windows 10 VM and just resume backing up that same USB attached disk array on day 1.

I've created a new, large ZFS pool and from day 2 forward, I will migrate big chunks of data into the ZFS pool and then serialize (zfs send) backups of the datasets back onto the attached USB.  Once it's all backed up and tested, i can delete the original source directory on the USB attached disk array.  By doing this one directory at a time (there are about 6-8 or so major directories), i wont need to 2x the data stored on the attached USB device.

It's going to take a long time but when I'm done, the attached USB device will just be backups and snapshots.

If anyone sees big holes in this, please let me know as I haven't started yet.

Edited by chronocide
  • 5 months later...

Have you tried the Backblaze_Personal_Backup container available on CA? Looks like it runs Backblaze Personal on WINE and you can give it access to upload your whole array. haven't tried it yet, but I will once I finish setting up my server (just started with Unraid two days ago).

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

On 4/27/2022 at 2:30 PM, VKapadia said:

Have you tried the Backblaze_Personal_Backup container available on CA? Looks like it runs Backblaze Personal on WINE and you can give it access to upload your whole array. haven't tried it yet, but I will once I finish setting up my server (just started with Unraid two days ago).

I am testing this however, i must have a permission issue.  When I go to test a backup of my file, I get an errorimage.png.58ce3876566e6f2be35d26e410b14877.png  Not sure how to remedy

• 1 month later...

@Hawkins12

You have to execute this in the unraid Terminal 

docker exec --user app Backblaze_Personal_Backup ln -s /drive_d/ /config/wine/dosdevices/d:

But i tested this yesterday and everything that i backup also writes to my SSD Drive (the Docker is there) for a short time.

So this Solution will wear down the SSD..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my idea. I'm looking at Backblaze Personal vs B2, and Duplicati + OneDrive (for limited cloud backups up to the 6TB I get with Microsoft O365).  I'm also looking at SyncThing, where a remote endpoint at a friends house (who is also obsessed like me with building out technology with large amounts of storage for no reason at all). If we're following a 3-2-1 backup strategy, and we're open to having double the online storage that we need at home, we could split that storage into to local arrays. One is a NAS available to equipment and users on the premises, another is effectively a Windows or Mac box in the same environment with direct-attached storage. This machine is configured as backup target on the local network (with whatever software makes sense for that given the clients on the local network), and has the Backblaze personal client running on it. It syncs the backups that are deposited onto it up to the cloud.

• 6 months later...
On 5/12/2022 at 6:26 PM, Hawkins12 said:

I am testing this however, i must have a permission issue.  When I go to test a backup of my file, I get an errorimage.png.58ce3876566e6f2be35d26e410b14877.png  Not sure how to remedy

Given 7 months or so of hindsight, what's your opinion of this idea?  I built a second UnRaid just to put a Windows VM on it, using large virtual disk files on each physical disk so I could use the UnRaid parity and just keep extending the virtual Windows drive forever, and it's working but performance is horrible.  For scale, I currently have about 30tb on it across maybe 5 disks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 7:03 PM, 172pilot said:

Given 7 months or so of hindsight, what's your opinion of this idea?  I built a second UnRaid just to put a Windows VM on it, using large virtual disk files on each physical disk so I could use the UnRaid parity and just keep extending the virtual Windows drive forever, and it's working but performance is horrible.  For scale, I currently have about 30tb on it across maybe 5 disks.

Sorry for my delayed response.

Because I only had a small bit of files, I downloaded the backups on my PC and transferred them back to Unraid.  Not the most ideal but I am not a big tech/code guy to understand all the behind-the-scenes permission issues.  And calling support I didn't feel viable as the person would not understand Unraid or how it all works. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2022 at 7:30 PM, VKapadia said:

Hey, I was wondering if you eventually got around to using Backblaze for your backups.

I also have a ~60TB array and want to back it up, but B2 gets expensive real fast especially since my array is constantly growing.

I wanna know if it is viable or even possible with large data

• 7 months later...

Reviving an old post i know. any luck with this? I would prefer Backblaze over Crashplan if I can, but it seems Crashplan via a VM seems to be the only way im getting anything to move on.

The Wine Docker doesn't work very well at all. either failing to create a .bzvol file or it fails to correctly scan and begin. That's if the beginning part works very well. 

On 1/29/2024 at 2:56 PM, Stan464 said:

Reviving an old post i know. any luck with this? I would prefer Backblaze over Crashplan if I can, but it seems Crashplan via a VM seems to be the only way im getting anything to move on.

The Wine Docker doesn't work very well at all. either failing to create a .bzvol file or it fails to correctly scan and begin. That's if the beginning part works very well. 

I use rsync to backup to backblaze, works perfect.

Disclaimer: I didn't read the entire thread so not sure I missed anything regarding a rsync solution.

7 hours ago, SnowyCollection said:

Yeah, B2 Cloud is easy mostly people here are interested in getting Computer Backup up and running with Unraid. Because otherwise B2 Cloud costs so much especially for someone like me that wants to backup 90TB

The reason Backblaze Computer backup is difficult or not possible to do on linux is specifically because they dont want people backing up a 90TB NAS to their "Unlimited" Computer Backup service. The fact of the matter is the $9/month that their Computer Backup service costs is just not a reasonable price to expect for 90TB or online data storage.

I would easily pay more than 9$ per month on that. Cloud Backups services are expensive to run. But i sure as hell can't afford to pay more than 200$ a month on it. I will at some point probably just built a second server and leave it at a friends place or sth like that. But currently that is not feasible. None of them have anything near gigabit speeds.

Edited by Assaro
5 hours ago, primeval_god said:

The reason Backblaze Computer backup is difficult or not possible to do on linux is specifically because they dont want people backing up a 90TB NAS to their "Unlimited" Computer Backup service. The fact of the matter is the $9/month that their Computer Backup service costs is just not a reasonable price to expect for 90TB or online data storage.

Well the reason it is difficult or impossible is because Backblaze doesn't have a Linux client, if it did there wouldn't be any difficulty.

Also I realise it is not feasible for them but also I don't feel like on the scale they work it would cost them more than that, definitely not any profit for them tho

3 hours ago, SnowyCollection said:

Well the reason it is difficult or impossible is because Backblaze doesn't have a Linux client, if it did there wouldn't be any difficulty.

Yeah the general consensus for the reason they dont have a linux client is because of the number of people who use linux desktops is low compared to the number of linux based NAS and fileserver devices that people would try and backup.