Which X570 AM4 Board for 2x GPUs and 1x Asus Hyper M2 - Video Editing Setup

Hey Guys,

i´ve set up my first two Unraid Servers, super happy with it. Now i need to build a new Workhorse-Machine. 

Requirements:

2x Video editing VMs (Premiere Pro  & After Effects)

2x Office VMs

NAS

Whats already there:

Ryzen 7 3700X

1x 1660 Ti

1x 1650

3x NVMe 1TB (2 for Cache, 1 for VM Storage)

1x HDD WD 12 TB for Parity

1x HDD WD 10 TB for Storage

1x HDD WD 8 TB for Storage

My problem is to find a 570x Mainboard which features enough lanes for two GPUs + the Hyper Card. There some special interesst boards like the ASRock X570 Creator.  x8 is enough for both GPUs, but the Hyper Card needs Bifurcation x4x4x4x4. I am aware that the Ryzen 7 does not provide enough cpu lanes. But since the cost of the project is secondary, I would also use a threadripper if necessary.

Thanks!

Edited by maltman
  • maltman changed the title to Which X570 AM4 Board for 2x GPUs and 1x Asus Hyper M2 - Video Editing Setup

with these requirements you basically have to go for a threadripper CPU or something similar from Intel.

for threadripper there are even boards that have support for four NVME SSD´s and also offer 4 PCI-E slots at the same time something like the Gigabyte TRX40 DESIGNARE

be aware that most of this is only needed because you want 3x NVME SSD´s if you would be fine with 2x NVME and would use some SATA SSD´s on top of that you would easily continue to use the 3700X with basically any X570 board out there.

The question is mostly how much is that extra NVME worth to you and do you need the extra performance you could get from a threadripper setup

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

with these requirements you basically have to go for a threadripper CPU or something similar from Intel.

for threadripper there are even boards that have support for four NVME SSD´s and also offer 4 PCI-E slots at the same time something like the Gigabyte TRX40 DESIGNARE

be aware that most of this is only needed because you want 3x NVME SSD´s if you would be fine with 2x NVME and would use some SATA SSD´s on top of that you would easily continue to use the 3700X with basically any X570 board out there.

The question is mostly how much is that extra NVME worth to you and do you need the extra performance you could get from a threadripper setup

The third NVME isnt mandatory, its just already here. The X570 setup would be x8x8x8? Any specific recommendation? I dont need wifi, usb-c, 10gb lan etc. Just lanes :) 

if two NVME SSD´s are fine and you dont need 10G LAN you wont even need a 8x/8x/8x configuration because you can install the NVME SSD´s directly on the motherboard so they dont take up any extra PCI-E slot.

since you dont need anything special you can literally take the cheapest board that offers two 16x slots in 8x/8x configuration which is almost every single board in existence.

you can also take older chipsets if you are using PCI-E 3.0 SSD´s you wont even need to make sure your board supports 4.0 as none of your components will benefit from it.

beside this just make sure you got enough SATA ports but thats also rather easy as there are many boards with 8 SATA ports.