2 drives drives disabled

Hey guys,

So I built a new unRAID box (coming from TrueNAS) and its been running for a few days.

I ran a preclear on ALL drives and it passed. 

I restarted and its now showing 2 drives disabled. I tried restarting again and same thing.

Right now there is no data on these drives so its not the end of the world, but I just wanted to check if these drives are actually dead or not.

They may be I wont deny that, but like I say, just want to double check before I just chuck them.

image.png.b0ca7887239c8cd3d4cf4c52ac444f8b.png

If they really are dead, can I just remove them from the pool? 

Would I need to do a new config, and just take out these 2 drives? They arent in use so I dont need to replace them just yet.

Diagnostics attached.

odin-diagnostics-20210204-2041.zip

Edited by SavellM

Thanks @JorgeB

So they disabled at different times, and only after a reboot. 

So after the server was started it was only then showing as disabled.

All drives including SSD's are on a backplane SM bpn-846-sas3-el1

The first one disabled a few days ago, and then I restarted yesterday, and then this second one was disabled.

I also cannot really see any fault with them, is there any way to re-enable and re-add them to the pool?

Awesome thanks.

I ended up removing them from the array.

I am now doing another full preclear with erase and clear.

So hopefully it will stress it enough to show any further issues.

If it passes I'll re-add them back.

I also ended up getting my SAS3 HBA this morning, so replaced the SAS2 one. So backplane has new cables and new HBA and its now SAS3 to SAS3 instead of SAS2 HBA.

When you say that suggests it is getting disabled on shutdown is there any significance to that? @JorgeB

Edited by SavellM
2 minutes ago, SavellM said:

When you say that suggests it is getting disabled on shutdown is there any significance to that?

No really, but Unraid only disables a disk when a write fails, one thing you can do is instead of clicking shutdown/reboot on the GUI, first stop the array, disks can't get disable after array is stopped, so if it happens after array stop grab diags then, if not you can reboot or shutdown safely.

7 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

No really, but Unraid only disables a disk when a write fails, one thing you can do is instead of clicking shutdown/reboot on the GUI, first stop the array, disks can't get disable after array is stopped, so if it happens after array stop grab diags then, if not you can reboot or shutdown safely.

Cool will do that going forward if I remember.

Its so infrequent that I reboot it.

Thanks for your help.

Do you know of any way to properly stress a drive to properly ascertain if it is dead or dying?

10 minutes ago, SavellM said:

I wonder if its because the drive is sleeping, and doesn't wake up quick enough for the stop command?

I would say it's a strong possibility, assuming the disk was spun down:

Feb  9 09:19:37 Odin emhttpd: shcmd (11123): umount /mnt/disk11
Feb  9 09:19:37 Odin kernel: XFS (dm-8): Unmounting Filesystem
Feb  9 09:19:37 Odin kernel: md: disk11 read error, sector=8589967488
Feb  9 09:19:37 Odin kernel: sd 1:0:17:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Feb  9 09:19:37 Odin kernel: md: disk11 write error, sector=8589967488
Feb  9 09:19:37 Odin kernel: md: disk11 read error, sector=32768
Feb  9 09:19:37 Odin kernel: md: disk11 write error, sector=32768
Feb  9 09:19:37 Odin emhttpd: shcmd (11124): rmdir /mnt/disk11

Error happened during unmount, although the error was immediate, i.e., it's not like the disk took long to respond, so it could be a compatibility issue, try spinning those disks up before shutdown, or if it's a possibility connected them to a different controller, like the onboard SATA ports.

I'm sure that others must be running something similar, no?

Those Supermicro backplanes are pretty common, as is my HBA.

I posted in prerelease channel too, so lets see. 

Thank you so much for your help. 

After my next parity finishes I'll try spin up all and then stopping array to check if that works.