(SOLVED) SMART errors on two new 10TB WD101EMAZ drives shucked from WD Easystores

Hi there, as a new Unraider I'm paying attention to HDD drive health for the first time ever, and am a bit concerned to see two new 10TB WD drives throwing up SMART errors.

My Parity drive is reporting a UDMA CRC error count = 19

and

one of my Storage drives is reporting a Reallocated sector count = 12

Both are only a month old, bought from a big box store here in Australia, and carefully shucked so that they could easily be reassembled and returned should the need arise.

Should I be concerned by either of these errors? Googling doesn't really get me any info that makes me fully understand the implications either way, so I thought I would see what the experts here think.

As an aside, is returning a new drive with SMART errors even really a thing that can be done? I won't need an RMA with WD because here in Australia consumer law makes the retailer as equally responsible as the OEM...so as I'm within warranty period an exchange or return should be straight forward enough if folks think that's the best way to go. Thanks for any help!

Edited by nametaken_thisonetoo
4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

CRC errors are a connection problem, usually the SATA cable, reallocated sectors no so good, especially on a new disk, but can be OK if it's a low number and remains stable.

Thanks for this - I assume the current reallocated sector count of 12 isn't considered high? If so, happy enough to monitor that count to make sure it doesn't increase significantly over the warranty period.

Edited by nametaken_thisonetoo
Clarity
  • nametaken_thisonetoo changed the title to (SOLVED) SMART errors on two new 10TB WD101EMAZ drives shucked from WD Easystores