(SOLVED) UNRAID NOT DISCOVERABLE AFTER CLEAN SHUTDOWN

Hello everyone,

After making my first install, everything went smootly and i shut down the system from the webgui (i didn't make any settings). I have set the flash drive as the default booting device. After making sure everything is ok, i removed the graphics card, as i don't need it for now. After moving the server to my server room, the webgui is not discoverable anymore. Also, it has no ip adress assigned . I can see that the port is used in the unifi network (i have a unifi router and switch), but there's no ip adress asigned and it won't show up in the client list. I have come to the conclusion that maybe it has something to do with removing the graphics card? I tried changing the usb port, the network port on the switch and nothing changed. I'm running out of ideas. Thank you!

Edited by Johnster

I can't believe this. I've put the card back in and everything works now. I have a MSI B450-A PRO MAX. Does anyone know how to get around this?

EDIT: What i don't understand  is why does it act like this. It's not like the system won't start. It starts, but i just can't access it.

Edited by Johnster
19 minutes ago, Johnster said:

I can't believe this. I've put the card back in and everything works now. I have a MSI B450-A PRO MAX. Does anyone know how to get around this?

Perhaps an HDMI dummy plug attached to the HDMI output of your motherboard? Fools the system into thinking you have an attached monitor thus allowing it to boot.  Does not work 100% of the time and does depend on the motherboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-Generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+dummy+plug&qid=1612536881&sr=8-4

And this may not work for you without a graphics card unless your Ryzen CPU has built in graphics.  The plug emulates an attached monitor not a graphics card.

Edited by Hoopster
14 minutes ago, Johnster said:

What i don't understand  is why does it act like this. It's not like the system won't start. It starts, but i just can't access it.

It's not completing the boot, look for BIOS options like "halt on errors" or something similar.

Some boards just don't have the capability to run without graphics.

I really don't know what happened, but everything works normal now. It may have been a networking issue, as i have first connected on a subnet. I can firmly confirm that MSI b450 can run unraid without a graphics card (you just need one for the initial setup), just in case someone else is interested. I just had to rewrite my network config file. Thanks all of you for the answers.

• Johnster changed the title to (SOLVED) UNRAID NOT DISCOVERABLE AFTER CLEAN SHUTDOWN