Baremetal nvme to unRaid VM

Kurkoko

Hello,

I have recicled all my PC as new unRaid, all is working but now I need to know how to (without loosing data) use my nvme with a baremetal windows 10 install to work directly on the VM.

I think just passtrough the nvme controller to the VM

Select the nvme disk as main VM disk

Then start the VM?

Seems i found the way, just need to test more.

-Bind controller so can passtrough directly to the VM

-delete any virtual harddisk on vm config

-check the nvme controller on the VM

-When VM boots F2 to access bios and check nvme as primary boot device

-After 2 reboots got able to install unraid drivers and guest agent

Once get new hdmi cable and new usb extension will pass gpu, monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Hi Kurkoko,

I'm also trying to achieve the same thing (I think). Or I might accidentally just hijack your topic. I just installed unRAID on my regular machine (Win 10). Windows 10 is installed on my m.2 nvme drive, and I'd like to keep it that way. In the event of something going wrong I can still go back to running Win 10 baremetal

I started with a VM and using the regular Unassigned devices to map the device raw using the SATA (and after installing drivers, VirtIO) and mapping it. However it is my assumption that passthrough of the controller makes much faster speeds possible. 

However, when I removed all current drives and added the NVME controller Windows simply wouldn't boot. Even when forcing the bootorder it gave me a bootloop with error. Automatic repair would fail. Manual repair of the bootloader would fail also.

Could you share your xml file perhaps?

NB: I'm using VFIO-PCI perhaps I made a mistake there..?

• 2 weeks later...

ya im having this same issue.. I know I'm close..  have everything set properly passing the nvme through the vm.. but now when I boot I get a constant boot look.. looks like windows is going to load then it just either blue screens or goes into the windows repair utility.. for the life of me I dont know how to fix this.

anyone able to help.. with this.. would really like to get bare metal performance out of this nvme