{SOLVED} First ever failed disk in unRAID...now what?

rmp5s

On 2/8/2021 at 2:31 AM, JorgeB said:

Your are using the P420i HP raid controller, that's not recommended, but to get SMART reports you need to change the default SMART controller type to "HP cciss", IIRC.

Nope.  I disabled the RAID controller.  Unfortunately, it's built into the motherboard on this server...killing it was quite the ordeal when I first set this thing up.  It'll always be there, but it's not in use.

I documented my steps to do so in this thread should anyone need the info in the future.

6 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

No, they are connected to the HP P420i RAID controller, or you posted the wrong diags.

Again, the raid controller is built into the motherboard. EVERYTHING is "plugged into the RAID controller"...it's just not doing anything, as illustrated in that other thread. 

When I got my first server, I actually got an external RAID card and battery and stuff for it...then I found out that unRAID doesn't play nice with RAID. WHO KNEW!? lol

Well, when I got my second server...this one...I didn't bother with a RAID card but it was still giving me issues. After a bunch of research, I found out that that motherboard has the RAID card built in. That's what that other thread was all about...disabling it. 

Once that was done, it's worked perfectly ever since. Until this drive died, anyway. lol

Edited by rmp5s
1 hour ago, rmp5s said:

Is the SMART info really that important?

That is what Unraid monitors to let you know when you have a disk that is beginning to have a problem.

You must setup Notifications to alert you immediately by email or other agent as soon as a problem is detected. Don't let one problem go until it becomes multiple problems and data loss.

But you must do what has already been explained or Unraid can't tell if you have disk problems.

Also, do you have backups of everything important and irreplaceable? Parity is not a backup.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

That is what Unraid monitors to let you know when you have a disk that is beginning to have a problem.

You must setup Notifications to alert you immediately by email or other agent as soon as a problem is detected. Don't let one problem go until it becomes multiple problems and data loss.

But you must do what has already been explained or Unraid can't tell if you have disk problems.

Also, do you have backups of everything important and irreplaceable? Parity is not a backup.

I'll look into it. 

Yea, I have duplicates of most stuff.

1 hour ago, rmp5s said:

Don't think I'm going to mess with it, man.

It's very simple. In the webUI, click on each disk on that controller to get to its page, then under SMART Settings, change SMART controller type.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:31 AM, JorgeB said:

Your are using the P420i HP raid controller, that's not recommended, but to get SMART reports you need to change the default SMART controller type to "HP cciss", IIRC.

12 hours ago, trurl said:

It's very simple. In the webUI, click on each disk on that controller to get to its page, then under SMART Settings, change SMART controller type.

...oh...I thought it was something that needed to be done in the BIOS or something that was involved like the last thing I had to do or something.  

Done!!  The parity finished rebuilding and everything is back to normal, too.

Thank you, everyone!  

• rmp5s changed the title to {SOLVED} First ever failed disk in unRAID...now what?