Lowering system powerdraw by CPU sidegrade? Ryzen

Hey community,

I'm in the process of upgrading/sidegrading my server. First off, I wanna get the powerdraw significantly lower.

My current setup consists of:

• Ryzen 1700 @ 3000MHz
  • Asus B450 ROG Strix F Gaming
  • 32GB RAM @ 2400MHz
  • 10x HDDs helium/Non-helium
  • 4x SSDs
  • 1x Dell H310 SAS controller
  • 1x Intel Gigabit NIC
  • 5x Noctua Fans
  • 1x Nvidia GTX1070 for transcoding
  • 34 Dockers and 2 Debian VMs running.

The system draws around 100W in idle state.

I've got several thoughts about getting the powerdraw lower:

1. I've set the CPU clockspeed that low because under unraid the powerstates weren't managed right like 2 years ago and setting it lower was the only option to keep the CPU under control. Same with the RAM. I don't neet the speed of the RAM but from 3200MHz to 2400MHz were a decrease in powerdraw of 6W.
  2. Second I'm considering changing the CPU to a Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G. These CPUs should have a severly lower powerdraw.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for suggestions in advance!

cheers!

Edited by pappaq
2 hours ago, pappaq said:
  1. Second I'm considering changing the CPU to a Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G. These CPUs should have a severly lower powerdraw.

Depends on the setting, the core no. reduce in half, if also limit at low clock speed, does still have enough power to drive 34 docker and 2 VM ? If enable turbo/xfr, then it actually use same/more power then before. I suggest you disable half core to evaluate first.

Edited by Vr2Io
2 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

Depends on the setting, the core no. reduce in half, if also limit at low clock speed, does still have enough power to drive 34 docker and 2 VM ? If enable turbo/xfr, then it actually use same/more power then before. I suggest you disable half core to evaluate first.

Very good idea! Thanks. Gonna try that out. I've ordered the CPU nevertheless. In case the sidegrade doesn't turn out as I hope it will, the CPU will propably sell for the very same price I've ordered it today. They are sold as salvaged parts from OEM systems.

Does anyone have information about newer Ryzen generations and the powerstate handling under Unraid?