unraid minimal setup for macinabox test

KBHB

Hi there,

I stumbled over unraid during research on hackinstosh. Ssomewhere macinabox was mentioned.

I have lot of experiance with other NAS-Systems, So I don't need any tipps how this works with unraid. That is not the problem at this point.

My goal is to sell my late 2012 Mabook Pro 13" and use a PC with Logic Pro X (Hackinstosh or unraid).

To get an impression if Audio works without problems, I installed unraid on another Macbook Pro (same type).

I got everything running, but the Macbook has only 1 internal SSD.

I am getting a few errors (e.g. Docker cannot be started)

pre-clear was suggested, but the unraid OS is on that drive, so this is not a good idea ;-)

Is it possible to run unraid with only one SSD just for testing a Mac-VM via macinabox?

I am getting the impression, that there must be 1 Disk for OS and min another 1 disk for Data. Correct?

Maybe I could install unraid on an USB-Stick instead of the internal SATA-SSD? So I would be able to use the internal SSD for data.

Or connect an external HD at the USB-port as a data disk. For testing I do not want RAIDs, parities etc. because I am using an QNAP NAS at the moment. Maybe I sell the QNAP later and move Data to unraid. But all that makes only sense for me, if macOS Catalina will run Logic and an external Audio Interface without Problems. 

Later I would use a IBM Thinkcentre (4 cores). with unraid I could start Win10 for Gaming, JDownloader, Docker, Logitech Media Server etc. when I am not using the Mac-VM heavily or not at all.

I use a PCI Firewire Audio-Interface and have a Firewire PCI-Card here. This must be integrated in the mac-VM. Is this a problem?

Thanx for any advices!

KBHB

1 minute ago, KBHB said:

I have lot of experiance with other NAS-Systems, So I don't need any tipps how this works with unraid.

Seems you do need some tips about Unraid.

4 minutes ago, KBHB said:

the unraid OS is on that drive, so this is not a good idea ;-)

Is it possible to run unraid with only one SSD ...

I am getting the impression, that there must be 1 Disk for OS and min another 1 disk for Data. Correct?

Maybe I could install unraid on an USB-Stick instead of the internal SATA-SSD?

The Unraid OS is in RAM. The archives of the OS are on the flash drive you booted from initially. The OS is unpacked fresh from these archives into RAM at each boot, and the OS runs completely in RAM. Think of it as firmware except easier to work with and no bricking.

There must be at least one data disk in the array before you can start it and the services for VMs and dockers.

Hi Constructor,

thanx for the fast answer!

Because my test-system is the Macbook, is there any chance to instal unraid on an USB-Driv or Stick so I could use the internal SSD for data, VMs etc.? 

It would be used at the start and works im RAM then. So performance might be o.k. If possible: how much space does it need?

If not possible:

what about vice versa: install internaly the OS an use a USB Drive with 500 GB for Data?

Greetings

KBHB

5 hours ago, KBHB said:

Hi Constructor,

Hi Newbie,

Seems you didn't understand what I already said.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

The archives of the OS are on the flash drive you booted from initially. The OS is unpacked fresh from these archives into RAM at each boot, and the OS runs completely in RAM.

It installs fresh at each boot into RAM from whatever flash drive you used initially. That same flash drive also saves configuration changes you make in the webUI so they can be reapplied at boot to that fresh install. That same flash drive also contains the license .key file, which is associated with the GUID of that same flash drive.

There is no installing it to any other device. It is a fresh install into RAM at each boot.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

Think of it as firmware except easier to work with and no bricking.