1 Parity and 1 Disc drive both have errors

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Are your disabled disks on the Marvell controller? Marvell is not recommended.

Since you aren't using VMs you might have better luck with that controller if you disable VT-d in the BIOS.

I'm assuming Marvel controller is the Sata expansion card I'm using? Is there an expansion card that's generally recommended by the community? I'll shut down the server and go into BIOS right now.

6 hours ago, itimpi said:

When you later restart the array in normal mode does the ‘emulated’ drive mount OK, and if you click on the folder icon against that drive does it show the folders/files you expect to see?

Yes, although I also see a "lost+found" folder.

At this point I'm assuming the course of action I should take is to preclear my spare parity drive, remove my messed up data drive from the array, add the precleared parity drive back as a data drive, and then add the parity drive back in? Should I change anything else before I do that?

4 minutes ago, thejellydude said:

I also see a "lost+found" folder.

This gets created if there are flies/folders found where the directory entry giving the name is not found.  Unfortunately when this happens identifying the original name is a manual process by examining the contents although the 'file' command can at least help with identifying the file type.

11 minutes ago, thejellydude said:

preclear my spare

Unnecessary unless you just want to test it since rebuild will completely overwrite it anyway.

Unraid only requires a clear disk when ADDING to a NEW data slot in an array that already has valid parity. A clear disk is all zeros and so has no effect on parity. That is the only scenario where a clear disk is needed, and Unraid will clear the disk itself if it isn't already clear.

Rebuilding to the spare will give you exactly what the repaired emulated disk contains. This is a good approach because it will let you compare the original disk to the rebuilt disk to see what was lost+found.

You can rebuild that disabled parity disk at the same time as rebuilding that data disk, and no reason not to.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Unnecessary unless you just want to test it since rebuild will completely overwrite it anyway.

Unraid only requires a clear disk when ADDING to a NEW data slot in an array that already has valid parity. A clear disk is all zeros and so has no effect on parity. That is the only scenario where a clear disk is needed, and Unraid will clear the disk itself if it isn't already clear.

Rebuilding to the spare will give you exactly what the repaired emulated disk contains. This is a good approach because it will let you compare the original disk to the rebuilt disk to see what was lost+found.

You can rebuild that disabled parity disk at the same time as rebuilding that data disk, and no reason not to.

The problem is I don't have a spare disk laying around. I have the two disks on hand that I already have, and I don't currently have the funds to purchase another 12tb drive.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

If you have a spare rebuild to the spare then check the data on the old disk, you can do that with UD but need to change the UUID to be possibly to mount with the array started, then you can compared data from both disks to see if anything is missing.

What's best practice if I don't have a spare?

2 hours ago, thejellydude said:

I don't have a spare

4 hours ago, thejellydude said:

preclear my spare parity drive

That is the spare I assumed you were going to use for the rebuild of the data disk. Since we don't believe there is anything wrong with any of the disks, you could just rebuild both disabled disks to the original disks, but using a spare for the disabled data disk rebuild will let you compare the results to the original disk. There is nothing to be gained by using that spare disk to rebuild parity since parity contains no data.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

That is the spare I assumed you were going to use for the rebuild of the data disk. Since we don't believe there is anything wrong with any of the disks, you could just rebuild both disabled disks to the original disks, but using a spare for the disabled data disk rebuild will let you compare the results to the original disk. There is nothing to be gained by using that spare disk to rebuild parity since parity contains no data.

Sorry, I was just clarifying because you suggested rebuilding both at the same time. My plan is to do the following:

Plug in Parity Disk 1, let it be rebuilt as Data Disk 1. After it's done rebuilding, compare it to the original Data Disk 1, and if it looks good, use my original Data Disk 1 as Parity Disk 1. This makes more sense than rebuilding both at the same time, correct?

4 hours ago, thejellydude said:

Plug in Parity Disk 1, let it be rebuilt as Data Disk 1. After it's done rebuilding, compare it to the original Data Disk 1, and if it looks good, use my original Data Disk 1 as Parity Disk 1. This makes more sense than rebuilding both at the same time, correct?

You can do that, still need to change the UUID of the old disk to be able to have both mounted simultaneously after.

Also note that if you haven't yet you'll need to start Unraid with both parity and disk1 unassigned to make Unraid "forget" them and be able to re-assign them.