Toshiba n300 8tb drives

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 2 toshiba x300 for my array.  one failed within 6 mo, and both ran a few degrees hotter than my Deskstars.  It turned me off to toshibas, i am sticking with WD red plus and pro, and seagate exos and my least fav the ironwolf nas (bec its 7200 rpm and i only like those speeds for parity).

My Unraid build is solitarily based on Toshiba N300 drives in regard to HDD's. (4/8 TB)

Also had one X300 running until I swapped it out for a bigger one. N300 of course.

Due to my experience does the X300 run a little more warm than the N300. Then again is X300 a cheaper drive.

Once a new N300 drive failed during zeroing at first time use and got a RMA disk without any problem.

No other drive N300 died on me yet. Admit to be very pleased with the N300 series.

Edited by SME Storage
typo
  • 10 months later...

Yeah, I've just done a preclear over that drive and it appears to be okay. Passes SMART tests now but still has a mark saying it failed previously:

7 Seek_Error_Rate         PO-R--   100   037   050    Past 0

Unsure what to do, RMA or just keep it?

Edited by dacunno
  • 1 year later...
On 1/20/2022 at 4:09 AM, JorgeB said:

I'd keep it, like mentioned it's common with those drives, possibly a firmware issue. 

Where can firmware updates for Toshiba hard drives be downloaded? I've been searching for a few days and can not find anything.

Toshiba.JPG

Edited by Vetteman