Growing out of my array, how to expand parity most safely?

je82

I'm growing out of my 24bay array, i only have 24tb left (!!) and no more slots for harddrives.

I am now looking to start replacing drives to gain more storage, because i don't have any more space in my rack.

Currently i have 2x12tb as parity, what is the most safe way to install bigger parity drives into this array? Do i have to change both of them at the same time then hope that array doesn't crash while the parity rebuilds or is there a better way?

image.thumb.png.d71b40456c42d59cda5c86cc4f9129f8.png

Edited by je82
  • je82 changed the title to Growing out of my array, how to expand parity most safely?
2 hours ago, je82 said:

But will that work? Won't it be capped at 12tb if i already have one parity running at 12tb?

Unclear what you are getting at. No data drive can be larger than either parity drive, but there are no restrictions on the sizes of the parity drives as long as the data drives are equal or smaller than either parity drive.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Unclear what you are getting at. No data drive can be larger than either parity drive, but there are no restrictions on the sizes of the parity drives as long as the data drives are equal or smaller than either parity drive.

Ah yes, i understand, thank you!