Use a QNAP TL-D1600S Expansion DAS to expand existing Setup

Hi,

I have pretty much reached the limits of my current build in terms of the number of drives it can hold within the case, and have now got several connect via USB (eek!) and so I want to expand my setup further. I'm quite limited due to my MB, but I have found the QNAP TL-D1600S Expansion DAS online and it looks like this would suit my needs perfectly and allow me to expand with room to spare.

It looks like a great enclosure and connects simply to a RAID Card, which they provide along with Cables (SFF-8088). As far as I can tell it looks like it supports JBOD out the box as well.

So I am wondering if this would work with unRAID, if I were to add the Card it comes with (its looks like a regular 8 Port SAS Card) to my existing setup, and the attach the DAS with the SFF-8088 and add a few drives, it should then work? I dont have any other QNAP products so am hoping it does not have to be linked with one.

Has anyone got any experience with this, or done something similar? Likewise, does anyone have any thoughts on a setup like this?

Link to the Product;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QNAP-TL-D1600S-Desktop-Storage-Enclosure/dp/B084Q3DGTD

Thanks

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

doing my best try this same thing. the system only supports windows, ubuntu, and the right versions of qnap. unraid does see the chipset for the card QXP-1600eS, it will read as a Marvell 1475 but no drives will appear. next i will try running unraid as a vm on windows and pass through the drives.

• 4 months later...

Have you worked this out?

I am looking to expand my HP MicroServer Gen 8 with the QNAP TL-D800S
(8bay expansion via SAS Card (QXP-800eS-A1164 Asmedia ASM1164)

But I am still in doubt, because the software is for Ubuntu, so I might not be able to connect it?

The TL-D1600S does indeed seems to be supplied with a QXP-1600eS which has a Marvell 88SE1475.

Marvell chipsets are not recommended, they don't play nice with unraid (or does this work for jou?)

Edited by PaulV86
1 hour ago, PaulV86 said:

I am looking to expand my HP MicroServer Gen 8 with the QNAP TL-D800S
(8bay expansion via SAS Card (QXP-800eS-A1164 Asmedia ASM1164)

But I am still in doubt, because the software is for Ubuntu, so I might not be able to connect it?

Looks like just a controller with two Asmedia 1164 chips, it *should* work fine.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Might be an issue with my motherboard, that's been on my mind for ages, but since the HW where I'm running my system fell into my lap...have to get most of it, even if it means having the same issue as you (no array, no services)

To expand a bit, my server is a Dell Precision Tower T7910, in the MB there are several PCIe slots, flagged with different wattage, I have the GPU using one of them flagged as 225w, the controllers are in the ones flagged as 75W.

SO MY PROBLEM IS MOST LIKELY THERE 

I have also pending to test a "temporary solution" which would be see how it reacts if I turn it off and turn it on again (the D800S) using a smartplug once the server is up, but tbh this option scares me a bit.

My plan in the future is replace my desktop Ryzen 3700 with a 5900x and move my unraid setup into it, so that's why I didn't give it much thought to the disks issue.

Worst case scenario I'm out of Plex until I'm back, but I understand that there's people running more critical stuff than me.

Anyway, the main thing is that Unraid supports and detects the expansion unit without issues :)

Edited by Pipepito
  • Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm thinking of taking the same route.  Couple of questions:

1 - How noisy is it?

2 - Anyone try an LSI HBA (LSI 9200-8E, LSI 9207-8E) instead?  I'm a bit of an LSI snob having worked with them for many years.

3 - Is it easy to service?  Swap fans?  Replace power supply?

Thanks.

• 11 months later...
18 minutes ago, FreakyBigFoot said:

I’ve been using an lsi card for awhile now. My only advice is to have great airflow or put a little noctua fan on it. They get hot. 

I’m debating the 800S or 1600 for my new ms-01 miniforum pc I just got. Did anyone ever get one working?

I have 2 800S running, one of them full, the other with 7 drives atm.

No issues other than what I commented on my previous post about the drives not turning on correctly after a reboot/turn on on my server, since I didn't had the chance to upgrade my HW yet... I've gone with... the smart plug solution! :D 

So right now, no apparent issues, if my server gets shut down or rebooted I just turn off the 2 plugs, wait until Unraid is up, and once its up I just turn on both cases (1 at a time), then start the array.

I have a Rpi4 set to automate all this process in case I want it automated, but too lazy to fully set it up lately xD

Edited by Pipepito