(SOLVED) new mobo/chassis, 15+ minutes to boot

Simmer

Hello! Yesterday I migrated my Unraid instance over to a new motherboard and chassis, same CPUs, RAM, and of course drives. Upon booting, Unraid will get to a screen (connected vga to box) with lots of error logs and hang there for over 15 minutes it seems - haven't actually timed it. It will eventually successfully boot, and runs fine once there. BIOS on new board is up to date. IPMI doesn't show any issues. Below are hardware specs, and attached is my diagnostic pull. Thank you!!  - EDIT: Forgot to mention, Unraid 6.8.3

Hardware specs - old, working:

• Supermicro X9DRL-IF rev 1.01 mobo
  • Dual Xeon 2667 v2 CPUs
  • 8x8 DDR3 ECC (I think 1600?)
  • Super Flower Leadex III 850w Gold
  • Cheapo Sata expander cards (all drives were connected individual sata cables
  • Fractal Design Define 7 tower chassis

Hardware specs - new, working but with prolonged boot time

• SuperMicro 6047R-E1R36N is the overall server model - same board, backplanes, chassis, etc.
  • Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ motherboard
  • Dual Xeon 2667 v2 CPUs (same as before)
  • 8x8 DDR3 ECC (I think 1600?) - (same as before) - placed into correct spots per Supermicro manual
  • Supermicro 1200 sq platinum PSU
  • SAS2 backplanes front and rear
  • Dual LSI 9211-8i IT mode HBAs

So, same CPU, RAM, HDDs, SSDs, but new everything else. Unraid boots just fine eventually after this weird delay, runs normal no issues (so far). I ran "fix common problems" plugin, but no errors, just a couple of minor recommendations. In old setup it booted very quick so this is definitely abnormal.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. Cheers

tower-diagnostics-20210214-0855.zip

Edited by Simmer
Solved
5 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Problem appears to be the 2nd LSI, it's timing out waiting for the devices, try swapping them around or using different slots if available.

Interesting, thank you! Does it say which one is timing out, perhaps based on which disks are connected? Or if you could point me in the direction of where you found that info I'd appreciate it.

I wonder why it's having those time out issues, all of the disks work (disks split between the two HBAs).

19 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

No sorry, don't remember ever seeing anything like this before, If you swap HBAs does the problem follow the HBA or stay with the same disks?

When going to swap HBAs I noticed mis-matched cables. So what I had done is connect one HBA to both front and rear backplanes, then connected the front backplane again to a second HBA. So the timeout was the second HBA wanting to connect the disks, but the disks were already on the first HBA.

Silly mistake, I removed the unnecessary HBA and cable, and it works great now :)

Cheers, thank you very much for your help. You pointed me in the exact right direction!

• Like 1
  • Simmer changed the title to (SOLVED) new mobo/chassis, 15+ minutes to boot