CPU recommentation needed, Server + VM + X

Hi guys,

after putting it off for quite some time I'm ready to upgrade my entire home pc setup. I want to consolidate my server and gaming pc with some room to spare for other projects. My requirements are these:

• docker containers: proxy, nextcloud, plex, bitwarden, ... list will grow
  • virtualized gaming VM with 6 cores, 16GB ram, dedicated m2 disk maybe? Want the VM to pack a punch...
  • enough to spare for another Win10 VM for some light gaming / other projects
  • about 5 additional HDDs for data storage

I will build it up from scrath, no hardware re-usage whatsoever.

I've looked into the Unraid topic some time in 2019 and as far as I remember the relevant limitations come in form of limited PCI-e lanes. Now when I look at what CPUs are currently being sold for a reasonable price it comes down to these:

• Intel Core i9-7960X (24 lanes)
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (64 lanes)
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X (44 lanes)

I'm no fanboy of either, just to lay down what CPU price category is in play. I assume the other hardware components won't fluctuate much in price regardless of the CPU choice.

What I can't really tell is my lane requirements are. I assume 16 for GPU but how is it with the other stuff?

What would you recommend as the basis for the system? Is there maybe a current build from someone that fits my needs?
Or would you even go as far and say that I drop the requirement for the second VM? It is a possibility although I'd really like to limit the number of systems to one...

Anyway, thanks for helping out!

Edited by gsell
17 hours ago, gsell said:
  • Intel Core i9-7960X (24 lanes)
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (64 lanes)
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X (44 lanes)

i9-7960X should be 44 not include I/O chipset

Ryzen 9 3950X should be 24 not include I/O chipset

Ryzen Threadripper 1950X should be 64 not include I/O chipset

What I can't really tell is my lane requirements are. I assume 16 for GPU but how is it with the other stuff?

Usually are 10GB NIC, HBA, NVMe(s) etc

I assume the other hardware components won't fluctuate much in price regardless of the CPU choice.

I don't think so, mainboard price could be in large different range and even CPU have rich PCIe but mainboard could design provide x16x16x8 slot or x8x8x8x8x8 slot or 2/3 NVMe ( example ), so you need evaluate which you need. Mainboard also a key factor. I have Threadripper 1920x and i7-9800x platform, finally Intel serve me with Unraid.

I don't think you must provide 16x lane for GPU (plex) to got same performance. I have 2xHBA (x8x4), 10G NIC (x4), 1xGPU (x1 chipset) also without bottleneck with mainstream ( 16 lane ) platform previously.

Just HEDT have more flexibility and future expansion.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • Like 1