User password in WebGUI

tschinz

Hello,

I can't change the password for any user than the root user in the webGUI. It returns always to the root users password. I've fixed it while open the terminal and sudo passwd username and change it via the terminal.

The login with the change password works but even now, in the webgui the password is still shown as the root users password.

Im on 6.9.0 rc2

thanks

I think  there is a misunderstanding. I logged into the Webui as root and wanted to change a non root users login.  therefore I type the new password twice into the password fields. I verified with the eye symbol. After clickung change the password has changed back to the old users password.

Changing a password just doens't work apparently.

image.thumb.png.e397642cb641b55d2b4ec2d83a5ea48f.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have the  "can not change the password"  problem also !!!!   

I added a new user and a password for the new user and clicked to complete the action..

The unraid server replaced my chosen password for the new user with the password for the ROOT user..

I tried to change the password for the new user many times,  and the process fails to change the password,  replacing the desired password for the new user with the ROOT user password. ...... 

All my user accounts have had their password changed to the root user password

I tried to correct the other user passwords, but the system will not change the data, replacing the entered information with the password from the root user account

I am also not able to change the ROOT password ! ....... 

I have updated to  Unraid 69.0.0 and still have the same problem........

Edited by Anne
clarity
On 3/5/2021 at 8:08 PM, Anne said:

Changing browser did not make a difference and  I do not use chrome. Thanks for the suggestions.

Is it possible you are pressing the RESET button instead of the CHANGE button on this screen? I have done that ;) 

If not, the problem is likely to be your browser or an extension "helpfully" filling in the password for you. People are suggesting that you use Private or Incognito mode because that disables most extensions and password managers. A different browser can help, but only if it does not have extensions or password managers or saved passwords, etc.

14 minutes ago, Annie said:

As I said, changing browsers did not help,  and yes I also clicked reset in an attempt to reset things to make it work,

but when attempting to change the pwd I did use the change button.

Thanks for the input.   Anne

Please try this again once you've upgraded to 6.9.1. We included a change that should help.

• 1 month later...

Hello again, sorry for the late reply but family emergency took me away till now.

I got home yesterday and fired up the server and then today I attempted to sign into the server.

I say attempted because  ALL of my logins no longer work.  My test logins and all family logins do not work

I get the invalid user name or password message to all.   Any suggestions??

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Hello again, sorry for the late reply but family emergency took me away till now.

I got home yesterday and fired up the server and then today I attempted to sign into the server.

I say attempted because  ALL of my logins no longer work.  My test logins and all family logins do not work

I get the invalid user name or password message to all.   Any suggestions??

Are you trying to login to the webgui? Only the root user has access to do that. The other users are for access networking shares.

Remember this password stuff  started with my trying to change a user password and that password got applied to all users as well as the root, but using that password let me log in as root using the user password... now none of the passwords work

If you are unable to login to the webgui as root, your best bet would be to wipe your passwords: See https://wiki.unraid.net/Articles/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_do_I_do_if_I_have_forgotten_my_root_password.3F 

I'm not sure what version of Unraid you are on, but I recommend updating to the latest before setting your passwords. It should resolve the issue you were having with the browser setting everyone to the root password.

• Thanks 1

SQUID and ljm42

I started out with the login as "root" with a password as "asdf" and was able to log into unraid through the IP or the name TOWER

I added 4 family users with their own passwords. Everything seemed to be fine.

Then  I added a new user , lets say user "X",  to unraid through the USERS setting.. entered a password for user "X", as "xyz"

When I did that it changed all  user passwords , root and family users, to the password "xyz" that I had entered for the new user "X"

As a test I changed user "Y" password to "abc"  and all passwords were changed to the "abc"  "Y" password, including the root password

At this point I could still login with  "root" and whatever password was used last to change a  password.

I shut down the server to attend to a family emergency and when I returned and turned on the server, NONE of the passwords work with  "root" to login with the IP or Tower

I erased the two files in password recovery and was able to login. I UPDATED to newest OS version 6.9.2 and updated all apps and dockers. THEN  logged off and did a reboot and am now back to not being able to login..... the new password does not work.

Hope that helps.....

1 hour ago, Anne said:

Then  I added a new user , lets say user "X",  to unraid through the USERS setting.. entered a password for user "X", as "xyz"

When I did that it changed all  user passwords , root and family users, to the password "xyz" that I had entered for the new user "X"

The known issue which was resolved in 6.9.2 is this: you hit save once and your browser remembers the password, then when you move to the next user your browser "helpfully" overwrites the password box with the password you input for the first user. If you then hit save, it would effectively give the second user the first user's password. This behavior only affected certain people on certain browsers, but we did put in a fix for it in 6.9.2

I have never heard of anyone hitting save once and having it automatically update the password for all existing users. Perhaps your flash drive is failing and not storing the passwd file correctly?

1 hour ago, Anne said:

I erased the two files in password recovery and was able to login. I UPDATED to newest OS version 6.9.2 and updated all apps and dockers. THEN  logged off and did a reboot and am now back to not being able to login..... the new password does not work.

My best guess is that your flash drive is failing

Anyone else have any ideas?