[Support] ich777 - Jellyfin AMD/Intel/Nvidia [DEPRECATED]

31 minutes ago, ultimz said:

switch from the linuxserver version of Jellyfin to your version?

I've only tried this once with the official container from Jellyfon, simply change the Repository in the template and you can move back and forth between the images, I think this should be the same for the linuxserver container.

I would recommend creating a backup with CA Backup or simply create a copy from your jellyfin folder that is located in your appdata directory.

35 minutes ago, ultimz said:

I am using an Nvidia 1050 TI.

I'm not too sure of this will fox your issue, have you yet tried the official container with HEVC?

6 minutes ago, mathomas3 said:

I recently installed your container and while it's not working correctly yet... I will poke around before asking assistance...

I think you are talking about HDR or am I wrong?

HW transcoding, except for HDR, should work fine on AMD/Intel/Nvidia.

What hardware are you using, can you maybe post your Diagnostics?

On 1/11/2022 at 9:44 PM, Rattus said:

Hi Guys, I was hoping that someone could help me, my JellyFin instance recently decided it needed an update so I did and now it refuses to start. All of my other containers start no issue.

The error it gives is:

I have checked the logs and there is nothing there at all so there is no other indication as to why the failure. 

I was looking for others with the same issue and there seems to be some. I found this thread with the exact same issue but there doesn't seem to be an answer that works here. Can someone please assist in sorting this issue?

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/117030-jellyfin-execution-error-server-error/

Thats awesome!! This just solved nearly all of my issues! :)

On 1/17/2022 at 10:23 AM, ich777 said:

Not really but a few things that are most likely to be different are the base image and the installed packages but that makes no difference running Jellyfin.

Thanks - I tried migrating to this container but it didn't work (from the Linuxserver version). When I changed the repo and started it... it showed me the initial setup for the container ... like it couldn't find the old data.

14 minutes ago, ultimz said:

When I changed the repo and started it... it showed me the initial setup for the container ... like it couldn't find the old data.

It is maybe possible that the Linuxserver container have different paths than mine, I can only tell for sure that the official Jellyfin is compatible with my container if you change the repo.

13 minutes ago, ich777 said:

It is maybe possible that the Linuxserver container have different paths than mine, I can only tell for sure that the official Jellyfin is compatible with my container if you change the repo.

Thanks - I'll try reinstalling your container later instead of just changing the repo

• Like 1

Hi everyone. I have a very strange problem transcoding HEVC videos for a while now. The video is full of artifacts. All started when i tried to install second gpu with the idea to pass it through a vm. When i saw the problem with transcoding i removed the second gpu and left only my quadro p400. I removed the container, deleted appdata folder, reinstall everything but nothing work so far. I tried the jellyfin container from Linuxserver but it is the same. In the end I installed emby, bought emby premier to make a test and with emby transcoding is OK. I notice that with emby while transcoding the gpu load is 20% higher that with jellyfin.  What may cause all of this?

tower-diagnostics-20220123-2122.zip

5 hours ago, Anadoliev said:

I have a very strange problem transcoding HEVC videos for a while now.

Can you check for uphrades or force update the container, I've pushed a fix that should hopefully resolve this a few days ago.

What settings have you made in Jellyfin itself?

Is this HEVC SDR or HEVC HDR?

Can you post informations about the media file or does this happen to all of your HEVC media files?

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you check for uphrades or force update the container, I've pushed a fix that should hopefully resolve this a few days ago.

What settings have you made in Jellyfin itself?

Is this HEVC SDR or HEVC HDR?

Can you post informations about the media file or does this happen to all of your HEVC media files?

Thanks for the fast answer. i forced updates but it did not download anything, so still the same.

JF_playback_info.png

JF_serttings.png

13 hours ago, ich777 said:

I will look into this further, please give me a few days.

Thanks again, take your time. Just adding a screenshot from emby.

This is from jellyfin log if it is helpful.

[00:37:08] [INF] [26] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.TranscodingJobHelper: Transcoding kill timer stopped for JobId 85ce08e5e6e34351866b9f0e366c3f26 PlaySessionId 888bc4f8510446e2b38f6e951845af42. Killing transcoding
[00:37:08] [INF] [26] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.TranscodingJobHelper: Deleting partial stream file(s) /config/transcodes/134e83d9abf504ad33880dc6ff541dfa.m3u8
[00:37:13] [INF] [24] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.TranscodingJobHelper: Stopping ffmpeg process with q command for /config/transcodes/134e83d9abf504ad33880dc6ff541dfa.m3u8
[00:37:13] [INF] [24] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.TranscodingJobHelper: FFmpeg exited with code 0
[00:37:13] [INF] [24] Jellyfin.Api.Controllers.DynamicHlsController: Current HLS implementation doesn't support non-keyframe breaks but one is requested, ignoring that request
[00:37:13] [INF] [24] Jellyfin.Api.Helpers.TranscodingJobHelper: /usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/ffmpeg -ss 00:41:51.000 -hwaccel cuda -noaccurate_seek -hwaccel_output_format cuda -extra_hw_frames 3 -autorotate 0 -i file:"/movies/Star Wars Collection/Return of the Jedi (1983)/Return of the Jedi (1983) Bluray-1080p.mkv" -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 -threads 0 -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -map -0:s -codec:v:0 h264_nvenc -preset default -b:v 9616000 -maxrate 9616000 -bufsize 19232000 -profile:v:0 high -g:v:0 72 -keyint_min:v:0 72 -sc_threshold:v:0 0 -vf "scale_cuda=format=nv12" -start_at_zero -vsync -1 -codec:a:0 aac -ac 2 -ab 384000 -copyts -avoid_negative_ts disabled -max_muxing_queue_size 2048 -f hls -max_delay 5000000 -hls_time 3 -hls_segment_type mpegts -start_number 837 -hls_segment_filename "/config/transcodes/134e83d9abf504ad33880dc6ff541dfa%d.ts" -hls_playlist_type vod -hls_list_size 0 -y "/config/transcodes/134e83d9abf504ad33880dc6ff541dfa.m3u8"
[00:37:15] [WRN] [24] Jellyfin.Server.Middleware.ResponseTimeMiddleware: Slow HTTP Response from http://192.168.10.250:8096/videos/040be175-0d93-e7f1-4be1-204f0173a9c7/hls1/main/837.ts?DeviceId=TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKFdpbmRvd3MgTlQgMTAuMDsgV2luNjQ7IHg2NDsgcnY6OTUuMCkgR2Vja28vMjAxMDAxMDEgRmlyZWZveC85NS4wfDE2NDE4NTI5MjYxMTc1&MediaSourceId=040be1750d93e7f14be1204f0173a9c7&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=aac,mp3&AudioStreamIndex=2&VideoBitrate=9616000&AudioBitrate=384000&PlaySessionId=888bc4f8510446e2b38f6e951845af42&api_key=8be9cd6491924c9a820be969b96f122f&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=6&RequireAvc=false&Tag=3cd071446cc100fdc25823201a2068c4&SegmentContainer=ts&MinSegments=1&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&h264-profile=high,main,baseline,constrainedbaseline&h264-level=51&h264-deinterlace=true&TranscodeReasons=VideoCodecNotSupported,AudioCodecNotSupported,ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit to 192.168.10.17 in 0:00:02.4921479 with Status Code 200

emby_1.png

Edited by Anadoliev

Using a 4750(laptop).

Success with HEVC decoding.

But hardware encoding won't work if the option is ticked.

"This client is not compatible with the media and the server is not sending a compatible format."

And even with it unticked, the playback is constantly stopped every 10-15s.
Probably caused by the lack of encoding, since when playing back from another laptop (macbook M1), streaming through SMB, I get no issues at all.

Finally, here's a link with 4K H265 and HECV to easily test performance between files codec :

https://jell.yfish.us/

Edited by dboris
1 minute ago, dboris said:

Success with HEVC decoding.

But hardware encoding won't work :

"This client is not compatible with the media and the server is not sending a compatible format."

What have you done exactly, is the iGPU enabled on the host and have you passed through the device /dev/dri?

What have you set on the Transcoding section on the Jellyfin admin page?

Can you do a "ls -la /dev/dri" on the host console and post the output here?

1 minute ago, dboris said:

The playback is constantly stopped every 10-15s.

Look in your unRAID Dashboard and see if you got high CPU usage.

Wow, thanks for your fast answer. Glad to provide information.

Sorry for the delay.

I passed through using /dev/dri in the docker options.
I also ran the command :

"mkdir /boot/config/modprobe.d

touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf"

And rebooted.

On the playback page, everything is ticked outside "10bits HEVC decoding".

I tried ticking one by one, checking if playback worked each time.

Ticking this one gives me the message :

I get around 60-70% CPU usage without the "activating HEVC 10 bits decoding", when playing back a HEVC 10bits file.

While getting around 35% with it ticked.

I joined :

- A capture during HEVC playback.

- The output of "lsmod".

- Output of "ls -la /dev/dri".

Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 12.04.18.png

Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 12.53.34.png

lsmod.rtf

Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 13.22.18.png

Edited by dboris
6 minutes ago, dboris said:

- Output of "ls -la /dev/dri".

What path is set in the Transcoding section from Jellyfin, sadly enough the screenshot doesn't show it.

7 minutes ago, dboris said:

I get around 60-70% CPU usage without the "activating HEVC 10 bits decoding", when playing back a HEVC 10bits file.

Can you try a file that is not HDR?

7 minutes ago, dboris said:

This means usually that the CPU or iGPU is not supported.

8 minutes ago, dboris said:

While getting around 35% with it ticked.

So is it then working I think?

8 minutes ago, dboris said:

"mkdir /boot/config/modprobe.d

touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf"

Please try to install Radeon-TOP from the CA App and remove the file that you've made with:

rm /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

and then reboot, Radeon-TOP will handle the activation from your iGPU and you also can install the GPU-Statistics plugin to see the utilization from your iGPU (first configure it in the settings).

• Like 1

TLDR :

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin/issues/4338
It seems that stutters are normal for 4K HEVC files.

_______

Path is : "/dev/dri/renderD128"
Originally I stupidly edited it on jellyfin for "/dev/dri/", but rapidly noticed decoding wasn't working.

I set it back as "/dev/dri/renderD128". I only got "results" once edited back.
On the docker settings it's still "/dev/dri/" indeed.

_______

I applied what you recommended at the end of your post.
I still get playback stutter.

20% GPU load and 40% CPU load when displaying a HEVC HDR movie

As a reference, 0 % GPU load and 20% CPU load with no playback.

So it seems to work, no change compared to previous configuration.
I still get the same error message when enabling HW encoding.

HW decoding works however.

I still have playback stutter.

_______

Previously it took me time to answer because I had an issue :

Jellyfish container was responding H264 was playing back, but no H265.

Couldn't restart the container.
It was always displayed as turned on, on unraid GUI.
The log was showing that the contained was killed (capture included).

Previously I thought it was a random issue.

But I encoutered that bug again.

It seems the GPU crashed.

The GPU info, when crashed, displayed nothing, and sometimes "100%" usage (capture included).

I tried disabling docker instead of restarting. But was stuck with "Please wait... starting up containers".
So I restarted the unraid server.

Both time it triggered a rebuild of the array so it doesn't look like a clean shutdown.

If you think it's valuable to try to identify what causes it, I can try tinkering further.

_______

For the non-HDR content, see the included screenshot using the jellyfish samples listed above 

I get 20% GPU and 25% CPU with non-HDR HEVC.

Same results than with HDR.

_______

Overall, I get it working, but playback isn't smooth ; 

No hardware encoding. 
I still stutter at least every minute or more.

Even when playing locally and from a NVME.

Without HW acceleration I still get occasionally stutters. 

I see no CPU/GPU/drive overload when stutters happens.
As you can see there's still the "codec exceed limit" and "codec not supported" messages.

I shared a screenshot of the log.

When launching a video with HW decoding enabled, I see a spike of usage of the GPU before getting the error message. 

Probably it's trying to playback before crashing, driver issue? Making wild guesses.

_______

I tried hosting a jellyfin server on my macbook M1 and playback a movie from my server's NVME, HLS :

Still get stutters. 

Very strange.

Once again ; I can play the same file from VLC without any issue.

Skipping through the file (from SMB accessed via wifi) is nearly instant.
Takes 10s to load for each clic through jellyfin.

I tried hosting the movies from a hard drive connected directly to my macbook M1.
Still get stutters...
What the.

I feel I lost a considerable amount of time trying to fix something that is originally broken.

_______

Tried jellyfin on a intel 8700K with 1080Ti.
No issues, playback works much better, even when streaming content over wifi with a bad wifi card.
It seems that CPU-only decoding is a very bad idea.

I also took the time to test the performance when disabling the "GPU encoding" option.

Well, disabling it gives noticably less playback performance, and increase considerably the lag/delay when moving in the video files.
Considering that this option doesn't work with my 4750U - I can't playback files with it enabled -, it can possibly explain all the issues I'm facing !

Maybe later drivers updates will make it work for me?
It looks like other users don't have such issues with desktop amd CPU.

Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 14.08.29.png

Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 14.11.36.png

Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 14.26.12.png

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 00.54.08.png

Edited by dboris
24 minutes ago, laomeng1886 said:

你好,我安装了 AMD IGPU之后, 系统就会强制重启,只能在BOOT/CONFIG 删除modprobe.d 才能正常进入系统。

处理器是 Athlon 3000G

寻求帮助

@JavyLiu and @lyqalex can you help me here a little bit, my translator did not do a great job I think because I don't understand the question.

Hello,

I have installed Jellyfin on my second server with an i5-4670K and a GTX 970. The GPU hardware transcoding works sometimes. MPEG-2 Codec files are showing a process in GPUStat but H.264 do not. Generally the video is a bit laggy, but worst when GPUStat is not showing a running process (because it is done by the CPU?). And all my files are '.mkv'.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT:
The lagging is only in the browser. On Android and Android TV Apps it is running smoothly. The GPUStat Plugin is sometimes showing a process when I switch between the movies and different resolutions, but looks smooth when using the Apps.

And while writing this edit, I just dubble checked, now it is also smooth on the web browser. I guess that is fine, as long as the user experience is working out. Thanks anyway!

Edited by aronmal
  • ich777 changed the title to [Support] ich777 - Jellyfin AMD/Intel/Nvidia [DEPRECATED]
  • ich777 locked this topic