[Support] ich777 - Jellyfin AMD/Intel/Nvidia [DEPRECATED]

Hello, I recently have been transcoding my media to hevc and some of the higher bitrate files when they are playing during playback are extremely pixelated. I can play the files no problem the direct file and they play well on the tv and the computer only if I use the jellyfin app where it doesnt require transcoding. But the webpage chrome if I use it most of my video is globs of pixelated goo blobbing across the screen and the transcode folder in unraid where it keeps the files has pixelated videos in it. Why is this happening and should I convert the files back to h264? why are only some of them pixelated and others play fine, I noticed that the ones that have imbedded subtitles are worse and I am trying to get to the bottom of why I am having this issue, I was watcing the shows perfectly fine a month ago and it was in the webbrowser without pixellation. but now there is a pixel mess for a video and I cant get rid of the pixels. I have been transcoding into H.265 weekly with my 1050Ti and I haven't had these issues untill now and I haven't changed any settings, just some, probably half of the files I converted from H.264 to H.265 are pixelated while being transcoded. But I say again they playback fine while using direct play in the jellyfin mediaplayer. It would be nice to be a ble to transcode in the web browser as well I don't have any idea why it is not transcoding properly anymore. Jellyfin updated and thats the only thing that I can see that has changed. After the update it won't transcode properly anymore.

<<<<<<<<SOLVED!!!>>>>>>>>

Here is a sample video clip of what my blob goo transcode problem looks like 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T8boUi6QUw6hSCEEDheNI8ZLnvb7ZO5g/view?usp=sharing

HERE IS THE SOLUTION: NOTE CPU USAGE IS ONLY HIGH BECAUSE I AM SIMULTANIOUSLY SCANNING MY JELLYFIN LIBRARY AFTER A FRESH INSTALL AND USING TDAR TO REMOVE IMBEDDED SUBS PROCESSES GOING ON.

The solution is to increase the muxing que to 4000 and to increase transcode speed from medium to fast, slower speed brings better quality but is known to cause pixellation and distortion in playback of H264 and H265 HEVC. Set to fast transcoding speed in playback settings on jellyfin dashboard. If fast does not stop the pixellation then set to faster. The faster you set it to will reduce the quality of video playback so somewhere in the middle is ideal. I use fast for a 1050Ti because medium is a disaster and there is blobs of goo and pixellation come all over my screen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RgOm5t9jJHWWBRSij9T9bq-8upWBke8_/view?usp=sharing

Edited by RYZEN5000
4 hours ago, RYZEN5000 said:

But I say again they playback fine while using direct play in the jellyfin mediaplayer

Yes, that is something I would hope... :)

But the webpage chrome if I use it most of my video is globs of pixelated goo blobbing across the screen and the transcode folder in unraid where it keeps the files has pixelated videos in it. Why is this happening and should I convert the files back to h264?

This is a good question, it could also be that (I think you are running a Ryzen APU...) your CPU doesn't like the input format, have you yet tried a differnt browser if the same happens there too?

Also maybe try to change the transcoding quality to a different setting and see if this makes any difference...

Jellyfin updated and thats the only thing that I can see that has changed. After the update it won't transcode properly anymore.

The last update to the container was pushed about two weeks ago...

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

This is a good question, it could also be that (I think you are running a Ryzen APU...) your CPU doesn't like the input format, have you yet tried a differnt browser if the same happens there too?

Also maybe try to change the transcoding quality to a different setting and see if this makes any difference...

Yes I have tried alot of other browsers and its particular videos that wont transcode, I say about 50 percent of my library either does or doesnt, and its consistently that way that that particular video wont transcode properly. I have recently upgraded my CPU from ryzen 5 5600G and it had played well with that cpu and I upgraded to the Ryzen 7 5800X and I don't know if thats a coincidence but yes the transcode issue has started after that cpu was changed, normally I don't notice because I'm always using jellyfin media player which doesn't require transcoding from H.265 but now the blob https://cloud.serverteck.xyz/s/eRtSHTEW7oCrDjA sample

is happening on certain but not all transcodes and I took this clip from the transcode folder in appdata. I am so confused why some titles will play perfectly and others won't.

3 hours ago, ich777 said:

in the web browser, on jellyfin, select but not all videos will play like this sample https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T8boUi6QUw6hSCEEDheNI8ZLnvb7ZO5g/view?usp=sharing How do I change the transcoding quality? I have no idea where those settings are. All know is that if I turn off HVEC encoding then it transcodes on CPU perfectly but it ramps up my cpu percentages and I want it to use the GPU for transcoding, but the GPU wont transcode some videos. what a mystery.

Edited by RYZEN5000
43 minutes ago, RYZEN5000 said:

in the web browser, on jellyfin, select but not all videos will play like this sample https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T8boUi6QUw6hSCEEDheNI8ZLnvb7ZO5g/view?usp=sharing How do I change the transcoding quality? I have no idea where those settings are. All know is that if I turn off HVEC encoding then it transcodes on CPU perfectly but it ramps up my cpu percentages and I want it to use the GPU for transcoding, but the GPU wont transcode some videos. what a mystery.

SOLVED! Thank you, you helped me, I read what you wrote about changing the transcode quality and it made me look at this particular setting, I took a guess and changed it from 2048 deffault to 4000 and the server is not pixelling anymore and the videos that were blobs of goo and pixels are now playing properly. What I changed was this setting here.

SOLUTION.....SOLVED:

Max muxing queue size:

Maximum number of packets that can be buffered while waiting for all streams to initialize. Try to increase it if you still encounter "Too many packets buffered for output stream" error in ffmpeg logs. The recommended value is 2048.

Plays perfectly now after I changed it to 4000.

Edited by RYZEN5000
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, RYZEN5000 said:

Plays perfectly now after I changed it to 4000.

Can you tell me a little more please? I've meant that you've should change the quality by clicking the little gear icon on the right hand bottom corner while playing a file.

Where did you change the buffer size or did you talk about the Muxing size? Maybe this will help others.

2 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you tell me a little more please? I've meant that you've should change the quality by clicking the little gear icon on the right hand bottom corner while playing a file.

Where did you change the buffer size or did you talk about the Muxing size? Maybe this will help others.

I just changed the Muxing size and that setting is found in the playback section. thats all I did was increase the size and it was really amazing how it fixed the problem, I can play all my shows and movies now after increasing the size. It was a guess and it payed off. I can watch perfectly three streams of transcode now. I didn't change the quality but I see now what you meant when you directled me to that area. The pixellation was soo bad I am amazed that that one MUXING setting was responsible for it. Also the graphics card seems to be running at a lower cpu percentage drawn with the larger size and temperature of the card went down 2 degrees I dont know if thats related or not but it does look like the load on the 1050Ti is less with a higher Muxing setting.

Anyone that is having big problems with pixelated playback should try to fix it by increasing their Muxing above 2048. Thats the default so you might need more size for smooth playback of files that are a higher bitrate. It worked for me and my server is transcoding like a million bucks now.

Edited by RYZEN5000
  • Thanks 1

I had a server crash and in the process of fixing all of it. Before the crash Jellyfin and video transcode through my nvidia 1080i was working perfectly. Now when i have transcoding turned on, by video is distorted. Everything i have tested so far is h264, which is checked marked in my jellyfin settings. I have tripple checked all of my settings, and everything seems to be correct. If i turn off transcoding, the videos play without any distorting. I am not having the same issues with plex. Any thoughts or ideas?

1 hour ago, Macleod76 said:

If i turn off transcoding, the videos play without any distorting

This is expected behavior...

47 minutes ago, Macleod76 said:

I just found a HEVC that is doing the same thing. im pretty sure this is h265?

You can find out what kind of media it is by starting the playback, click on the little gear icon on the bottom right hand corner and clicking on "Playback Data", this will bring up something like:

image.png.72836f3fc94bb0cc169dd3b969b18661.png

Is your media HDR too?

Also please try to set the "Max muxing queue size" in the Jellyfin admin settings at "Playback" to 4096 and try if the same is happening again.

Transcoding is working fine with my Nvidia T400 an the container.

47 minutes ago, Macleod76 said:

These videos were playing just fine a couple days ago. My granddaughter watched them every day lol.

This is really strange... have to look into this if I actually can reproduce this behavior on my server.

I think you already tried to restart the server?

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

This is really strange... have to look into this if I actually can reproduce this behavior on my server.

I think you already tried to restart the server?

I have restarted it a couple times. Restarted the dockers as well. I was wondering if it could be a nvidia issue, but Plex is working fine. I know i can just watch them in plex, but i have issues with plex and live tv lol.

1 hour ago, Macleod76 said:

I know i can just watch them in plex, but i have issues with plex and live tv lol.

I've now tried it with h264, h265 & h265 HDR -> see screenshots below.

I really can't tell why it's not working on your machine, are you on unRAID 6.9.2 and what driver version have you selected?

I'm on 6.10.0-rc2, the latest production branch v510.47.03 from the Nvidia Driver and I started the playback on Firefox.

I also can't think of a driver issue since it works in Plex, have you also yet tried another browser or if the same happens on the mobile apps if you change the quality?

Also maybe try to wipe the complete cache folder for Jellyfin.

h264:

h264.thumb.png.880b4fae7a625d7f11c78dbdd041ba2b.png

h265:

h265.thumb.png.c13a469f9786d9ee0ec5a67ba51c39ba.png

h265 HDR:

40484236_h265HDR.thumb.png.c7546e7711897f88fbc5ead049639ed7.png

48 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I've now tried it with h264, h265 & h265 HDR -> see screenshots below.

I really can't tell why it's not working on your machine, are you on unRAID 6.9.2 and what driver version have you selected?

I'm on 6.10.0-rc2, the latest production branch v510.47.03 from the Nvidia Driver and I started the playback on Firefox.

I also can't think of a driver issue since it works in Plex, have you also yet tried another browser or if the same happens on the mobile apps if you change the quality?

Also maybe try to wipe the complete cache folder for Jellyfin.

h264:

h264.thumb.png.880b4fae7a625d7f11c78dbdd041ba2b.png

h265:

h265.thumb.png.c13a469f9786d9ee0ec5a67ba51c39ba.png

h265 HDR:

40484236_h265HDR.thumb.png.c7546e7711897f88fbc5ead049639ed7.png

I have tried all those options including the mobile app. I was thinking the same thing about the cache. Should i delete everything out of the jellyfin cache folder?

12 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Yep, should be safe if you do so.

I just renamed my old cache folder so that jellyfin would create a new cache folder, restarted the docker and that didnt work either. Im thinking about just deleting the docker and starting over. Do you know if there is a way i can save my users  and passwords?

7 minutes ago, Macleod76 said:

Do you know if there is a way i can save my users  and passwords?

You can also try to do a force update from the Docker page.

Would be really interesting if you can creat a second instance and see if it works there without redoing everything from scratch.

14 minutes ago, ich777 said:

You can also try to do a force update from the Docker page.

Would be really interesting if you can creat a second instance and see if it works there without redoing everything from scratch.

I can do a 2nd instance, ive done that in the past. Im not for how to do a force update.

4 minutes ago, Macleod76 said:

Im not for how to do a force update.

Enable the Advanced View on the Docker page on the top right corner and klick "force update" at the container (don't forget to turn of the Advanced View on the Docker page because it produces a little load on the server).

45 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Enable the Advanced View on the Docker page on the top right corner and klick "force update" at the container (don't forget to turn of the Advanced View on the Docker page because it produces a little load on the server).

Updating did not help, and rebuilding a new instance did not help. Only other thing i can think of is the driver, but thats weird because plex works. I guess i will uninstall the driver and reinstall.

• ich777 changed the title to [Support] ich777 - Jellyfin AMD/Intel/Nvidia [DEPRECATED]
  • ich777 locked this topic