Redo Array.. New Drive (Parity), Remove 4TB drives....Question

sminker

Been using Unraid for a while. Pretty dang familiar with it. Ive replaced parity before and added old disk to the array but this is the first time for this procedure. I bought a new 14Tb easy store (currently pre-clearing). Heres what I want to do.

Current array.

1x 10TB Parity

2x 10TB Array

3x 4TB Array

Replace 10TB Parity with new 14TB drive.

Remove (3) 4TB Drives

Put previous 10TB parity into the array

Can I do all this at once since Parity has to rebuild anyway?

I would stop the array, shut down the system, remove and add drives as outlined. Start unraid and setup as new config. I would of course use unbalance to remove all the data to the drives that are staying in the array and make sure to set the shares appropriately with the proper "Include" settings.

Was planning on just putting the 14Tb in my win10 machine for Blue Iris, but thought, what the heck. I should just throw it into the server and use the (3) 4TB drives in a windows data pool for Blue Iris.

Sounds reasonable. On first glance I thought you were expecting the data from the removed drives to magically appear on the other drives, but on a second reading I see you know to copy the data to the drives you are keeping in the array.

2 hours ago, sminker said:

Can I do all this at once since Parity has to rebuild anyway?

I'm assuming you are confident in the health of all drives, and your backup strategy (not listed here) is tested to your satisfaction.

If so, yes, your method will definitely save a bunch of time over doing each operation individually.

Just now, jonathanm said:

Sounds reasonable. On first glance I thought you were expecting the data from the removed drives to magically appear on the other drives, but on a second reading I see you know to copy the data to the drives you are keeping in the array.

I'm assuming you are confident in the health of all drives, and your backup strategy (not listed here) is tested to your satisfaction.

If so, yes, your method will definitely save a bunch of time over doing each operation individually.

Thanks. Yeah Im pretty confident with parity being down while it rebuilds. The drives are solid. I have never had a sudden shutdown (UPS backup since day one), no Smart errors on any drive, all were pre-cleared before use and my once every 3 months parity check has never shown an error.

I plan on turning off all VMs (except Home Assistant) which is on an unassigned SSD drive and only keeping dockers running that pertain to Home Assistant. Array will be seeing very little use while its rebuilding.

Backup strategy: slightly panic, download logs and post here, use google And DONT shut down unraid or touch anything until I get confirmation of next step.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

LOL!

Not what I was hoping to see, but if you are comfortable with that, it's your data!

Just kidding on that one. Between all the crap Ive messed with on Unraid and having a pretty hefty/robust Home Assistant setup (lots of yaml and code work) I feel pretty confident I can handle just about anything that pops up. This is just the first time doing this many drives at once. User guide wasnt specific in what you can do at once. Had the feeling, just needing confirmation. The user guide has a lot of good info for issues and these forums can pretty much answer most questions with searching. And I wont forget the Logs just in case. Seen too many threads on here about people forgetting or not knowing to grab those. 

Happy to report this is going very smooth.

Moved all data from the 4TB drives, turned auto-start off all non-essential dockers and VMs, shut down unraid, removed drives, added new drive. Turned server back on, clicked on new config. Assigned drives to appropriate slots and formatted the old parity. Parity rebuild is currently underway on the new drive. Shares, Home Assistant and essential dockers are currently running with no issues.

I did leave 1 of the 4TB drives in. The blue iris i9-9900k system only has room for two HDDs (dang gaming cases). 8TB should be enough for 6 cameras.

Edited by sminker
Typo