Another SMB nightmare

Heya!

Had a working SMB set-up up until I've re-installed Windows on my main PC.

Now I'm unable to connect to my unraid server via the (windows discovered) network location listed under Network (in explorer). I'm getting the dreaded Error code: 0x80070035. The network path was not found.

Been bashing my head against it, checked and tried most of the posts revolving this (enable SMB 1.0, lanmanworkstation enable insecure guest logons)

Funny thing is that I'm able to access it like so: \\<unraid_server_ip>\

Not sure how SMB resolves host names but I'm pretty sure DHCP ain't it.

OK, first read the first page of this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid

Make sure your Unraid server is setup to be the Local Master.  Install the 'Dynamix Local Master' plugin and verify that your server is the Local Master.

Run Scotties LANscanner on your PC to see what it thinks is the local master: 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/?tab=comments#comment-536447

Make sure that you have make the changes to the Control Panel described here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-947157

Tell us what favor and version of WIN10 you have installed---  Example:     Win10 PRO  ver 2004          You can find this by typing   winver    in the search window on the Task Bar.  Note that security is different depending on the favor of windows-- Home, PRO, Enterprise, Education, etc.   SMB access is definitely one area where the 'favor' makes a difference in how things are setup...

12 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Make sure your Unraid server is setup to be the Local Master.  Install the 'Dynamix Local Master' plugin and verify that your server is the Local Master.

image.thumb.png.03abec9713793391e28d4b134404eaa4.png

Check.

14 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Run Scotties LANscanner on your PC to see what it thinks is the local master: 

image.png.f98830371fa490ac945b29ecde178db9.png

Check.

16 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Make sure that you have make the changes to the Control Panel described here:

Tried this as well. No changes though.

image.png.b17200501fb1debd70cb7df7580f89b4.png

Since I can't find any other culprit I'm blaming this new Windows build. This Pro N variant should only lack some media player stuff (googled).

Getting late on my end but I'm going to go back to that 'mega-thread' tomorrow and try each one of those items from the list.

Since you are running WIN10 PRO, be sure that you apply the  'Edit Group Policy' change that you will find in the mega-thread.  (don't have time to look for it at this time...)

EDIT:  There seems to be a lot of folks who have had issues with ver. 20H2.  Some folks have not been able to resolve the problem yet...   No sure what happened with this release... Did MS make some change that the 'herd' hasn't figured out yet???  Yet others don't have a problem.  The old witchcraft thing!

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1
On 2/17/2021 at 5:38 AM, Frank1940 said:

Since you are running WIN10 PRO, be sure that you apply the  'Edit Group Policy' change that you will find in the mega-thread.  (don't have time to look for it at this time...)

I think that's the insecure guest logons which I've enabled.

Had to get down and dirty with this so I've installed Wireshark to check SMB over TCP 445. Oddities ensue.

Looks like when I try to access with hostname ("Overlord") SYN packets are sent and retransmitted towards the pfSense router. These are ignored as it does not run SMB service.

Now I just have to figure out why this hostname points to the wrong IP address.

LE: Seems there was a stale DNS entry in my Windows PC. This was obvious after I pinged by hostname and returned the router gateway IP. This is from some old host override that I've added and since then removed from DNS Resolver.

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

Checked with ping. Checked with explorer access. Back on track. Can bust open a beer now.

LLE: @Frank1940 This begs the question: Why did a DNS Host override end up affecting SMB/NetBIOS?

Don't know about you but this grinds my gears. Maybe you know something that I don't.

Edited by costianuv