Folder permissions change out of nowhere

Hi all,

Since 2 weeks I have 2 new NVME drives for cache (all system is BTRFS). I reinstalled my Docker machines like Plex and Sabnzbd. 

Also since a while I have issues that I am not able to access my folders on my Unraid anymore (from Windows 10). When I check my folder permissions in the CLI on Unraid, I notice it has changed the permission. I need to chmod 777 the folders again to gain access.

What could cause this strange behavior of folder getting inaccessible out of nowhere?

Thanks.

unraid-syslog-20210217-1046.zip

Edited by TallMan206
added zip with syslog

Hi,

/mnt/user/NAS/

under NAS I have the following folders: 

Backups

Data

Downloads

Media

Rips

Most of the time is was Media and Downloads changing (that is where SAB and Plex are working/looking in) but I also noticed Data changing. 

Actually I think it has to do with the Sandisk Pro 500GB NVME drives getting too warm. I have cooling on them now and now I can work on my system without issues, while otherwise the folder permissions were changed by now.

I'll keep you posted. Maybe i'm just lucky now and the issues comes back.

Regards

Ok,

This happened while copying files:

drwxrwx---+ 1 nobody users  84 Feb 19 10:55 Audio-DVD's/
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 nobody users 100 Feb 18 14:09 Films/
drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users  18 Jan 26  2020 Foto's/
drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users 110 Dec  8 15:35 Muziek/
drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users 392 Feb 10 14:56 TV-Series/

As seen above, Audio-DVD's changed while copying files. I cannot access the folder anymore. 

It changed from 777 to drwxrwx---+

Thanks

I thought maybe Teracopy on WIndows is causing the issue. It seems my Sandisk 500GB Pro NVME drive causing permission issues. I removed the NVME drives as cache for my Unraid, and now it doesn't have those issues anymore.

What could cause the NVME drives to act this strange? It are 2 drives, BTRFS filesystem.

Edited by TallMan206

I agree with itimpi, there is something changing the permission. Maybe even something outside of the server.

Your first goal shall be to find what is doing this.

Since your first attempts were not successful, in your situation, I would deactivate every plugin, script, docker and VM and let the system it run for a time as a basic NAS.

If the issue persists, either something is misconfigured on the base of Unraid or something outside of the server is accessing files and changing their permission.

If the issue is not present then, add one element at a time, let it run, check for changes and continue until you find the element that causes the issue.

• Like 1