Updating Windows 10 VM to 20H2(FIXED)

My parents own a small business so I am the one in charge of maintaining the computers. In the office I setup a 2TB file server with a windows VM for a workstation that my mom can use to pay bills, read emails, etc... For whatever reason the last update for windows isn't installing properly. The only error I get when reviewing the update history within windows is "Failed to install on ‎2/‎13/‎2021 - 0xc1900101". I have since increased the size of the VDisk to allow for more space for it to install, currently have 67GB free. I also cleared out C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution thinking that maybe that could help fix the error. I have also tried to install the update while running only on core zero.

What usually happens is the computer will take 1-2 hours to download and install the update, then will post a notification that a restart is needed to finish installing the update. Because this VM is required to stay on to keep the Point of Sale running we cannot stop it during business hours. This results in us usually telling it to restart when we leave at night and returning the next day to see the errors. Last week I stayed late to try and fix the error and used the techniques I described in the first paragraph. What seems to happen every time is that windows will successfully install the update, but then when the power cycles on the VM it won't restart correctly. Usually my mom has to force stop the VM in the morning and restart it and it works fine, but the update hasn't been processed. While restarting it doesn't appear to boot into windows, only displaying the startup icon, and has one core constantly at %100.

This issue isn't too serious; we can still run and operate normally but I would like to update so windows will take the threat of just restarting our computer on a whim to install the update away. Thanks for any help!

russellspets-diagnostics-20210217-1136.zip

Edited by Minimushroomman
Fixed problem
  • 1 month later...

Do you have a third party antivirus?

Do you have some yellow exclamation mark in system devices?

Disable or better uninstall the av, if the update installs fine then you can reinstall the av, disconnect all devices except the main ones (monitor, keyboard, mouse).

Do a reset of your windows update: you can use the attachment (rename from txt to bat and run as administrator), I used it successfully in the past to reset windows update.

Good luck

wu.txt

Edited by ghost82
  • 2 months later...

Finally fixed!!! I was using Q35 because in earlier testing it had better results for some USB compatibility for some point of sale features like barcode scanners and printers. I switched to i440fx after noticing in the event viewer that there were errors in the update connecting to the internet upon restart to download updates. Was thinking of maybe switching BIOS but switched to the different machine, and it worked.

On 3/28/2021 at 6:32 AM, ghost82 said:

Do you have a third party antivirus?

Do you have some yellow exclamation mark in system devices?

Disable or better uninstall the av, if the update installs fine then you can reinstall the av, disconnect all devices except the main ones (monitor, keyboard, mouse).

Do a reset of your windows update: you can use the attachment (rename from txt to bat and run as administrator), I used it successfully in the past to reset windows update.

Good luck

wu.txt 1.67 kB · 5 downloads

Not sure if using this in combo with the new machine helped, but previous attempts using this with Q35 resulted in the same failure to update upon restart. Thanks for the help  with troubleshooting though!

• Minimushroomman changed the title to Updating Windows 10 VM to 20H2(FIXED)