UPS Recommendation

stingray060

• 3 months later...
35 minutes ago, shazza6887 said:

should i be looking at UPS's that are greater then 450w or 750w?

Wrong metric IMHO. Find the actual draw of your setup during a parity check, then time how long shutdown takes. Multiply the time by at least 2, so you will be shutdown hopefully before the UPS drops much below 50%.

Take your two numbers and look up the runtime charts of various UPS models and find the best fit. You should be able to find the charts with minutes of runtime at different power draws. Be careful to not mix up watts vs volt/amps.

43 minutes ago, shazza6887 said:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but i am looking at various ups options, my array is calculated to draw approx 450w at full spin up, i have a 750w psu installed, should i be looking at UPS's that are greater then 450w or 750w?

In simple answer, 450w.

But you also need look VA, UPS have both figure and usually VA importance then W, for example, if  we say power factor was 0.8, a 80w draw means 100VA.

1 hour ago, Vr2Io said:

In simple answer, 450w.

But you also need look VA, UPS have both figure and usually VA importance then W, for example, if  we say power factor was 0.8, a 80w draw means 100VA.

When i am looking for one that will work well with Unraid software IE ATC ups, am i looking for one that says 'Line Interactive'?

or is that not important?

2 potential models,

https://www.centrecom.com.au/apc-650w12kva-back-ups

https://www.centrecom.com.au/apc-easy-750va-ups-line-interactive

2 hours ago, shazza6887 said:

When i am looking for one that will work well with Unraid software IE ATC ups, am i looking for one that says 'Line Interactive'?

or is that not important?

Most of reasonably priced UPSs are of the Line Interactive kind.

The referenced units differ in the output waveform type (stepped vs sine) and communication interface specs (the first one seems to have none).

The cheaper stepped waveform spec is good enough and should be OK with modern PSUs.

But you must make sure that the unit has a built-in USB communication interface - the only way for your Unraid server to communicate with the UPS.

6 hours ago, shazza6887 said:

Is it the case that cyberpower UPS is also plug and play with the default plugin?

Yes, it is.

But IMO Eaton still delivers better value (quality for the cost).

Eaton > APC > Cyberpower

P.S.  did a quick search on consumer models by Eaton.

It's returned a surprising number of quality related issues.

Edited by Lolight
3 hours ago, Lolight said:

Yes, it is.

But IMO Eaton still delivers better value (quality for the cost).

Eaton > APC > Cyberpower

P.S.  did a quick search on consumer models by Eaton.

It's returned a surprising number of quality related issues.

Well that sucks haha! i still think though its good value for money and the replacement batteries are also reasonably priced. Hopefully the newer models dont have as many issues?

Its either the 510 Watt or the 750w, they both use the same battery. The second is 100 AUD more expensive, i only want it to perform a safe shutdown with a power outage so i am probably ok with the 510w?

1 minute ago, shazza6887 said:

Well that sucks haha! i still think though its good value for money and the replacement batteries are also reasonably priced. Hopefully the newer models dont have as many issues?

Can't make any recommendations at this point.

It could be that their lowest priced consumer grade models are/were particularly problematic e.g. Eaton 5E.

The referenced 5S might be the opposite as far as I know. I haven't looked closely in those.

14 minutes ago, shazza6887 said:

Its either the 510 Watt or the 750w, they both use the same battery. The second is 100 AUD more expensive, i only want it to perform a safe shutdown with a power outage so i am probably ok with the 510w?

I'd say get a cheap watt meter and take the actual wattage readout at the plug (full spin up).

You haven't mentioned your system but 450W sounds like an awfully huge number.

1 minute ago, Lolight said:

I'd say get a cheap watt meter and take the actual wattage readout at the plug (full spin up).

You haven't mentioned your system but 450W sounds like an awfully huge number.

Mini ITX, Pentium g4650, 4gb DDR, 8 x Ironwolf Drives, Corsair 750w PSU. I would estimate the system to be around 400w max at full spin up. Once spin up probably a lot lower then that.

Set the 'time on battery' to a small number. Reasoning for this goes as follows:  Think about the power outage in your area.  How long do the short outages last as compared to the really long ones?  (In my area , it is ten seconds.  If the outage lasts longer than that it will be out longer than any home-type UPS battery will ever last.)  Second reason, it takes many hours to recharge a UPS battery that has been discharged in a few minutes.  You always want enough charge in the UPS battery to be able to perform a second safe shutdown for those times when you restart the server only to have the power go out a second time.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, shazza6887 said:

Maybe going from the 450w to the 750w was a bit overkill but went from a Bronze to a Platinum PSU haha!

Ok so should be good with the lower watt UPS for safe shutdown only?

I bet your Platinum-rated PSU is of much better build and overall quality.

PSU's are considered to be the most quality-wise overlooked component when shopping decisions are made based on wattage/price without taking into account the most important metric - quality.

You won't need a big capacity UPS if you set it up as described by @Frank1940.

Edited by Lolight
On 5/31/2023 at 6:18 AM, shazza6887 said:

Its either the 510 Watt or the 750w, they both use the same battery.

By the way, this is quite common.  If the buyer does not do the research on the details of the UPS's he is considering.  If you have the same battery in the larger unit as the smaller one, the running time (at the same load point) will be virtually identical!   It is also necessary to be sure that you are not comparing VAs to watts.  They are not the same!!!  (I suspect that VA is used in the spec'ing of UPS because it is always the larger number and a 'larger number' is-- at first glance --something the average consumer will select.)   One more thing, watts is the important number here as it a measure of actual work being done.  A portion of the VA is 'imaginary' work--- think of it as the guy on the job site, leaning on a shovel handle watching others work, while still getting paid. 

• Like 1