Time to check for plugin updates

Maddeen

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if you also need at least 60-120 seconds for the obligatory update check for plugins?

Everything in the web GUI is super snappy - except the plugins section.

Sometimes it needs 3 minutes and above to show all plugins and the current status (update available)

Is this a normal behavior?

Thanks for any reply. 

That section automatically checks for updates whenever you enter the page, unless if you have under notification settings Check for plugin updates disabled, in which case you manually check on that page.

Personally, I can't be bothered to check on the updates, and just have updates automatically install via the autoupdate plugin

• Like 1

That it checks automatically is ok - I also run the autoupdate. Everything fine - it's just more a question of interests. 🤓

I just wondering about the time it takes.

When I run a update check on my linux vm - or on my windows vm - or on my native Mac or iPad, iPhone or nearly any other "thing" that runs apps and need to check for updates, it just last for a couple of seconds. 

I mean - it's just a simple transport of bytes checking whether or not a new version is online. 

Why this last for minutes? Even 20 seconds (1 sec per installed plugin - in my case) is "a long time" when comparing to the others mentioned above.

As I said - just a question of interest - because maybe I have some fails in my config and other users are much faster 🙈 

It has to download the entire .plg file again from GitHub to check everything.  Depending upon how the plugin is created, this file can be relatively small (3K would be about the smallest, or the .plg could include the entire plugin's code (a couple of them out there -> dynamix stop shell @ 74K), or it could have a massive changelog (ie: CA - 68K).  It also reads the flash drive to see what's actually installed.

• Like 1

@ChatNoirmmhhh as I feared :)  Any ideas what can cause that?

It's definitely not a bandwidth thing.

I got 100Mbit/s - fixed line - from the #1 provider in my country which never delivers less than that. 

But I changed my whole network to UniFi a couple of months ago. Maybe there's the problem.

But - imo - a firewall can't be the issue either, or? I mean - firewall problems are "always" or "never"

There is no "sometimes" in a firewall problem - as far as I think :)

3 hours ago, Maddeen said:

any special settings that you've done for unRAID?

10 seconds is that what I expected that it has to be :)

Not really anything special I can think of.  Certainly, I have not done anything specific to unRAID on the UniFi side and my network settings are fairly standard in unRAID (no bonding, bridge enabled, static IP, A VLAN for Docker containers, etc.)