Is the Eaton Ellipse ECO 650 USB DIN UPS compatible with unraid?

Pixel5

26 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

well seems like nobody knows that UPS, is there any special standard how a UPS communicated with unraid that i should look for?

Stock unraid uses apcupsd http://www.apcupsd.org/

which supports a large number of models, not just apc.

If your model isn't supported by that, there is a plugin to use NUT

https://networkupstools.org/

If neither of those work with it, then you are probably out of luck.

• Thanks 1
  • 11 months later...

@Ford Prefect thanks for the info and sorry for grabbing that old thread.

I'am using Eaton Ellipse PRO 1200 DIN along with NUT but for me it seems like the readed consume Watt is not calculated in the right way for the Display Page Footer.

I've set it to Manual (because Auto were more terrible values) with this settings:

UPS Output Volt Amp Capacity (VA): 1200

UPS Output Watt Capacity (Watts): 750

Showing at the bottom a consumption of: 135W

This value is not the value what the UPS is showing on Screen (95W) and double checked with power plug confirms the assumption.

Have I set up something wrong or is that a bug within NUT?

1 hour ago, Skylinar said:

I'am using Eaton Ellipse PRO 1200 DIN along with NUT but for me it seems like the readed consume Watt is not calculated in the right way for the Display Page Footer.

This is the same for mine, although I only have the ECO model, without LCD.

What NUT reports is not the real Power but rather the Apparent Power....this is DC with a Power-Factor unequal to 1, after all.

I do have a smart plug between wall outlet and UPS (so I can easily measure consumption and also take a quick function test of the UPS/batteries).

This is what my measurements are atm:

image.png.e3f285acc2283035d682c3d00d383475.png

...while the NUT plugin reports 172W.

Since I do have real values from the plug, I actually never cared.

As it seems, in your case the LCD shows the real power...

...does that makes sense?

Edit: the real power (over time = energy) is what will be added to your electricity bill. 

Edited by Ford Prefect

...actually that is unheard of....do you have an example?

For a standard consumer, real power is what your are able to consume, hence this is what gets measured and put on a bill.

There are certain businesses that actually can tune their equipment to a variable power factior, hence creating or reducing reactive power and they can actively been asked to do so by their DSO  and recive commercial compensation for that. Of course in these cases the meters will measure reactive power as well.

An electricity meter that actually only measures combined power for billing is absolutely awkward.

Again, I am very much interested to get more information on that, honestly.

21 minutes ago, Ford Prefect said:

Again, I am very much interested to get more information on that, honestly.

Previously only big industrial sites would have the metering in place for apparent power, but now that smart meters with completely solid state measuring are becoming common, some utility companies are starting to use kvah instead of kwh for billing.

Not on the continent I live on, but elsewhere in the world. Some regions of India have apparently been doing it for a while, and power companies in other areas are threatening to start.

Google kvah billing for more.

I think there was some miscommunication. I was simply saying that there are places in the world that are starting to bill consumers for apparent power, using the technology available in newer smart meters, as opposed to the older mechanical meters that didn't measure anything except kwh, where newer smart meters can measure kvah, and it's up to the utility whether or not to bill for it. The changeover to smart meters is hardly universal, even the USA still has about 1/4 of their customer base on old meters.

Expanding my original response...

So, if you have a newer smart meter, there is a small possibility you will be penalized for lousy power factor depending on where you live. If you have an older meter, the chances of getting dinged for a bad power factor are pretty much nonexistent.

Does that rephrasing of my response clear things up?