Replace Parity with Larger - Simple swap

rtinker

Hello. Getting errors on my parity disk, so I want to replace it. I will get a larger disk (6GB --> 8GB) but I do not have any additional disk interface connections, so it has to be a swap. Is it just stop the array, swap it, and restart the array?  Also, and this is terrible - but I am not sure I know which drive (physically) is the parity - I saw a disk identify somewhere but is there one for the Parity too?  Thanks.

I always keep a print out (or a saved PDF) of the web UI Main page with all drives listed as a handy reference.  

I also recommend the "disklocation" plugin.  It takes a few minutes to assign the drives to specific locations, but once done it's a great help when it comes to future maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unraid identifies each disk by the last four digits of its serial number, for example JA1Z.  The serial number s/n is written on the label of every disk.  When i add a disk to my array, i write the four letter "name" on a small piece of tape and tape that to the rear of the drive, so i can identify them easily.  

I have a 4U rackmount case, with 3 5-drive cages.  on the frame containing each bay, i put labels in order from top to bottom in the cage with each drive's name.  That way, it is easy for me to find the right cage and the right drive just by looking at my array in the web interface.  

If you put a couple of minutes into labelling the drives physically when you install them, it is a lot easier.

• Thanks 1