Jellyfin stuttering due to inadequate CPU/GPU?

Go to solution Solved by Michael_P,

Hi,

I have Jellyfin installed and it works very well except for playing video files. I have some video files that are 1080p HD and some that are 4K taken with a video camera - mostly holiday videos and such. 

After a few minutes the video stops and then continues after a few seconds. 

• CPU is an INTEL G1260 with an integrated GPU
  • connection to the server is through a PowerLine with bandwidth of around 400Mbps

Would I need to have a better hardward GPU solution because it appears Jellyfin is transcoding the video as it is playing. I have set the settings for playback to be at "Auto" and using 1080p and 4K for the type of video I'm playing but I still get the same issue.

I have a spare PCIEx1 slot free, I could get a cheap GPU for that slot and see if it improves the performance.

Has anyone has experience with this issue?

You have confused me now. You mentioned your network which made me assume that you were talking about watching media over a network?

I wasn't aware that Jellyfin was also a player (I've never used it). In that case your network has got nothing to do with it, and there definitely shouldn't be any transcoding happening. What makes you think that there is transcoding happening? 

Edited by NeoDude
23 hours ago, Michael_P said:

What's the CPU utilization when you're trying to play the video

CPU is usually at max, so 100%. It's an old CPU but it is still dual core.

10 hours ago, NeoDude said:

What makes you think that there is transcoding happening? 

For low res videos, some holiday vids I took some years back, it plays really well, but for higher res it plays for a few minutes and then stops for a few seconds and then continues to play. Sometimes I mess around with the playback settings, to change it to 720p @ 20Mpbs or another resolution and it sometimes works, it mostly fails in the end though. This is what is leading me to think it is a transcoding issue but I am not sure.

The machine is in another room and I am connecting to it via the home lan to play video files through jellyfin.

• 2 years later...