How do you deal with PiHole going down during Backup/Restore?

adminmat

I've been trying to find a solution for this all day. I'm not sure if this belongs in the Pihole or Backup/Restore thread. Every night when backup/restore begins all my clients taking advantage of pihole lose internet.(DNS resolution) Yes I use my internet at 3:45am when this happens. Then in the morning you have to manually reset the network settings on some clients to reach pihole.

Specifically with Android and Edgerouter this is a huge pain. As you can't set a failover DNS server. Not sure on Apple ios. Actuall you can set a failover DNS on android but when Pihole comes back online you have to basically delete your DNS settings in Android and reenter. Huge pain in the rear. I guess the only solution is to take PiHole off of unRAID and run it on a dedicated Raspberry Pi? 

Edited by adminmat
30 minutes ago, adminmat said:

Not sure on Apple ios

On iOS devices it picks up the DNS servers configured in my router (a Ubiquiti USG).  PiHole IP is listed first with the configured backups (Cloudflare and Google) also listed.  It seems to failover fine.  When PiHole is back up perhaps disconnecting from WiFi and reconnecting will cause it to return to PiHole if it does not do so automatically?  I have never looked into what happens as I have not been online when if/when PiHole is down.

34 minutes ago, adminmat said:

I guess the only solution is to take PiHole off of unRAID and run it on a dedicated Raspberry Pi?

This is what I do.

Yep, this is what I'm doing. I have a couple Pis laying around. 

With my google Pixel 5 it doesn't automatically choose the other DNS even if it's set in my Edgerouter. You have to set a fixed ip in Android settings. Then it won't revert back to the Pihole's dns after it comes back online. I'm really curious what everyone does who uses pihole on unRAID. Maybe most people won't run Backup/restore as frequent as I do? 

Doesn't seem like a good fit to run on unRAID.