Linux users - How do you handle Sonos with Unraid?

touz

Hello guys, I'm a new Unraid and Linux Mint user. I've been managing my Sonos library on my Windows 10 machine for a few years now. Since Microsoft disabled SMBv1 on Windows 10, Sonos switched to an HTTP server to host your local library. This was working fine.

Now that my music library is on my Unraid server, I host a Windows 10 VM on Unraid which point to an SMBv1 share on Unraid with my music collection on it. Because of the security risks of using SMBv1, I'm trying to find an alternative which doesn't involve SMBv1. I'm curious as to what other Sonos+Unraid+Linux users use to manage their local content.

I'm not confortable using Plex to stream to my speakers because of the privacy nightmare it is.

I tried setting up both unofficial Sonos controllers for Linux without success. Maybe there's an issue with my current setup which prevent them to work. I wouldn't mind hosting my library on my PC which is always on 24/7 anyway, but it just doesn't seems to work.

I saw somewhere on the Sonos forums that some people "sacrifice" a raspberry 4 to act as a bridge to serve to Sonos an Unraid SMBv3 share as SMBv1 share. This requires additional hardware and still doesn't remove SMBv1 from the network, so it's not an ideal solution either.

So, what do you guys do? :)

• 2 months later...

Hello touz,

I faced the same problem recently. I store my music on a Synology NAS. Latest DSM 7 beta removed SMB v1, so I did use the Raspberry option. It works well with the Pi 0W I got for free with subscription to a magazine. 
I set it up with an « admin » on the Pi which access only as read only rights to music folder on the Syno NAS, and no access to other shares. This is the only option I found, except selling my Sonos stuff. I am interested if you find a better option.

Since I use it in wifi, It only needs to be connected to the charger. With this very small Pi0W it can play three different flows in three areas in the house without any problem.

I am new to the unRad forum and on trial version with unRaid because I find my Ds918+ slow and also the new version of PhotoStation called Synology Photo, still under beta does not look at all to be a positive evolution of the former app. Some features have even been removed, and nobody from Synology in their forum look to be present to give any help or information of their ongoing work.  Since december that I test the beta, we are still with the very same build and no information on the future. You will understand why I am now looking at unRaid and it looks more flexible than classic RAID options. Nevertheless it’s a new world for me and I still have a lot to learn on this new system for me. 

I am not a Sonos user, but I thought their system would also play from DLNA server software.  If so then there's a Docker for minidlna that could be tried.  It seems complete overkill to have to add an external processor to server a share to the Sonos system.  I run both AssetUPnP and Twonky Media Server, to share my audio library to a range of other DLNA clients, although I have these set up to run directly from the config/go file on the flash drive (the apps are on my cache drive).