Missing Folders/Shares.... But not all? Version: 6.9.0-rc2

pm1961

Hi, a bit of a strange one...........  I have two unraid servers, this one is mainly a NAS.

After a long period of stability, I've suddenly had problems with both.

With regard to this NAS, I've not done any arranging/meddling/editing recently but whole folders have gone missing. It's all media, films, photos, music etc... Most of it has gone missing, but not all of it. 

That to me is the strange bit.... e.g. If I'd "accidently" deleted the "FLAC"  folder, it would have all gone... but it hasn't... I have remnants of it. It's exactly the same with the other folders.

Any thoughts please? 

The other server is mainly a docker/VM machine which had completely different symptoms which I'll detail if thought necessary/relevant.

I did wonder whether I'd been subject to some kind of "attack", but both do sit behind what I considered to be a tight pfsense firewall...

TIA

Paul

tower-diagnostics-20210222-1427.zip

Except for disk10 your disks are mostly empty, is that expected?

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md1        3.7T   26G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disk1
/dev/md2        3.7T  4.3G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disk2
/dev/md3        3.7T   40G  3.6T   2% /mnt/disk3
/dev/md4        3.7T   26G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disk4
/dev/md5        3.7T  5.8G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disk5
/dev/md6        3.7T   26G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disk6
/dev/md7        3.7T  3.8G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disk7
/dev/md8        3.7T   26G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disk8
/dev/md9        3.7T  7.0G  3.7T   1% /mnt/disk9
/dev/md10       3.7T  610G  3.1T  17% /mnt/disk10
/dev/md11       1.9T  1.9G  1.9T   1% /mnt/disk11
/dev/md12       7.3T  172G  7.2T   3% /mnt/disk12

Could there be any clues in my Appdata Backups?

If so, what should I be looking for?

The only other unusual thing that comes to mind recently is that my Docker/VM  machine hosts Plex and MyMediaforAlexa and they've both been playing up. They both have paths back to the media server with the problems..

Edited by pm1961
11 minutes ago, pm1961 said:

Can you think of any mechanism within Plex or MyMedia (or any other program) that would lead to mass deletion of files

Sorry, no since I've never used them, but it would mean something misconfigured, you can ask to confirm your config in the existing support threads for those dockers

19 hours ago, itimpi said:

The one that CAN result in deletions is to misconfigure appdata backup to point to an existing location rather than a new dedicated share.  That can cause deletions at the location it is pointed to.

Wow... I still don't know what I did, but this was the very thing I was trying to sort the night before.... Ironically, because I thought I'd been a little lax in keeping on top of it..

It does seem to be something a hidden hazard for the unwary and nowhere near as overt as positively selecting stuff and hitting a big fat delete button!

I've done a little reading on XFS file recovery and it seems to be an order of magnitude more difficult and less certain than other file systems... I'm sticking with restore from my tape backup for now.....

The cache is full, so just the odd 30TB @40Mb/s to go.......

For my understanding, and I'm sure others, is there any chance of expanding on the subject please?

Edited by pm1961

Yep, I'd seen that and have one called "appdatabackup", so I still don't know what I did wrong....

I was meaning more into the mechanism of how it happens and why?

It's one thing to read a dire warning.... it's another to understand how that happens, that's all I'm trying  to do. Now that I'm fully conversant with the consequences!