[Support] binhex - Syncthing

20 hours ago, binhex said:

im not saying it def is NOT this docker image but i would be surprised it brings down your entire system, especially since you are the first person to record this issue and ive had a fair few downloads of this image (100,000+), i would suspect hardware related issues first, probably syncthing pushing memory usage and thus triggering the issue, you have run a memtest right?.

having said all that feel free to attach the log file and i will take a quick look over it, but i doubt it will reveal much, log file is located at /config/supervisord.log

Yesterday I created the container again. I did not change any install paths. In the container itself, I only set the GUI login credentials, changed the default folder from /home/nobody to /media/backups, added my phone as a device and synchronised the images folder. Then I took a few pictures to test if it all worked. 

Last night the server stopped again. However this time it was different and I have the feeling that it had nothing to do with the container. Normally the hardware is still running but this morning, I found that the server was off. When I booted it, the Windows 11 VM prompted me for the updates after a reboot with updates. I get the feeling that his incident was caused by the Windows 11 VM updating. 

Here are all the logfiles I could find:

syslog tower-diagnostics-20210907-0851.zip supervisord.log

Edited by workermaster

I have tested my system over the last few days and have only gotten 1 crash. And that happened yesterday. It looks like the crashing might not be related to the Syncthing container after all and that is was just a huge coincidence that it crashed verytime before. 

I have ran a memtest during the night and got 53 errors. I will be changing my memory and see if that was the cause. 

• 4 months later...

When Syncthing attempts to update, I'm getting this error:

2022-01-14 09:16:21: upgrading: open /usr/bin/syncthing3556983610: permission denied

I will say, it appears that "syncthing3556983610" doesn't exist in that directory.

Any ideas how this can be solved?

37 minutes ago, Niop said:

2022-01-14 09:16:21: upgrading: open /usr/bin/syncthing3556983610: permission denied

I will say, it appears that "syncthing3556983610" doesn't exist in that directory.

Everytime I get an permission error, I run the "Docker new safe params" command. You can run that here:

image.png.d86294a5f8c430cc5bd2aa236368e854.png

I don't know why that fixed it for me and have no idea why the permission keep going wonky. 

1 hour ago, Niop said:

are you doing in app upgrades as in via the Syncthing UI?, if so dont do this!, it will break the container, instead wait for me to push out an updated version, you then 'check for updates' via unraid web ui, and if there is one available then upgrade, simply ignore any in app upgrade prompts.

3 hours ago, binhex said:

are you doing in app upgrades as in via the Syncthing UI?, if so dont do this!, it will break the container, instead wait for me to push out an updated version, you then 'check for updates' via unraid web ui, and if there is one available then upgrade, simply ignore any in app upgrade prompts.

Yes, that is what I was trying to do. Sorry, I'm new to this.

That kind of makes sense it could break the container if it did indeed update. 

I will make sure it no longer attempts to update. Thank you for the response.

6 hours ago, TimTheSettler said:

Anyway, maybe you could change the "Auto Upgrade Interval (hours)" to zero or set the parameter so that syncthing doesn't try to update itself in the future?

done, sadly this wont stop the upgrade from appearing on first startup for brand new users (config file doesnt exist therefore cannot be edited), but it will stop any future upgrades for existing users with existing config.xml files - best i can do.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I receive the following warning/error:

2022-02-07 14:46:14: Failed to create folder root directory mkdir /mnt/user: permission denied

2022-02-07 14:46:14: Error on folder "backup1" (pmtjy-dnzj3): folder path missing

I have tried and ran Docker Safe New Perms but the warning is still there.

• 4 weeks later...

I am stumped at the same point:

2022-03-05 22:56:33: Failed to create folder root directory mkdir /mnt/user: permission denied

2022-03-05 22:56:33: Error on folder "sg projects" (xseqs-rkkhk): folder path missing

I am running unraid 6.10.0-rc2 and under tools I do not have Docker Safe Perms icon - should it be there?

Also the folder I am trying to sync is one of my samba shares.

The Docker is a new install and the config is the default setup.

But any samba share folder has the same error:

2022-03-05 22:56:33: Failed to create folder root directory mkdir /mnt/user: permission denied

2022-03-05 22:56:33: Error on folder "sg projects" (xseqs-rkkhk): folder path missing

What am I missing?

Screenshot 2022-03-05 at 23.13.30.png

Screenshot 2022-03-05 at 23.16.02.png

Screenshot 2022-03-05 at 23.19.26.png

Edited by wow001
I am stumped at the same point:

I am running unraid 6.10.0-rc2 and under tools I do not have Docker Safe Perms icon - should it be there?
Also the folder I am trying to sync is one of my samba shares.

The Docker is a new install and the config is the default setup.

But any samba share folder has the same error:

What am I missing?
954835557_Screenshot2022-03-05at23_13_30.thumb.png.c5762d58349decfc4ca7608d547e374c.png
793939270_Screenshot2022-03-05at23_16_02.png.ca7b56fd73aad9bdbf77ff25594a6478.png
1147762756_Screenshot2022-03-05at23_19_26.thumb.png.b3f7a90777677337cc6a2486841d747e.png
What have you set the paths to in web UI of syncthing, it should be referencing /media not /mnt/user

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thank you binhex

Yes I was using   /mnt/user/sg projects   as the folder path in the Syncthing web interface (webpage)

So installing the docker again (just in case) and leaving all the docker setting at they default.

Create a new folder in the Syncthing web interface using    /media/sg projects   and the syncing work with all my user shares!

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon my idiocracy: trying to enable option highlighted in attached pictures. Everytime I enable this I can’t access Syncthing on network outside of my Home. How do I point this towards SSL certs that Swag writes already?

C0504C0B-4A25-4751-9DB4-C73433166863.jpeg

Edited by blaine07
Dummie me
  • 1 month later...

Gday good sir,

Been using this docker for a while to sync my phones to my array.

However, i'm looking to expand this. By having certain folders sync to essentially create an off-site backup.

I want this offsite backup to be on a specific disk, outside of the array.

Or an pool of devices, outside of the array. Either works.

However, i cannot find a way to 'mount' these. Could you please point me in the direction of how i can mount a 2ndary target instead of the /media one?

On 4/25/2022 at 10:28 AM, Caennanu said:

Gday good sir,

Been using this docker for a while to sync my phones to my array.

However, i'm looking to expand this. By having certain folders sync to essentially create an off-site backup.

I want this offsite backup to be on a specific disk, outside of the array.

Or an pool of devices, outside of the array. Either works.

However, i cannot find a way to 'mount' these. Could you please point me in the direction of how i can mount a 2ndary target instead of the /media one?

its simple enough, you left click the icon, select edit and then click on 'advanced view' then scroll to the bottom and click on ' Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device' and then 'Config type' is 'path' set' container path' to /<name of your choice NOT media> and then set 'host path' to /<path to your unassigned disk> e.g.:-

container path /backups

host path /mnt/ud/backups

On 4/27/2022 at 11:36 AM, binhex said:

its simple enough, you left click the icon, select edit and then click on 'advanced view' then scroll to the bottom and click on ' Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device' and then 'Config type' is 'path' set' container path' to /<name of your choice NOT media> and then set 'host path' to /<path to your unassigned disk> e.g.:-

container path /backups

host path /mnt/ud/backups

That is indeed simple enough. Thanks for explaining tho, cause i was lost! :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 2:14 AM, wow001 said:

Thank you binhex

Yes I was using   /mnt/user/sg projects   as the folder path in the Syncthing web interface (webpage)

So installing the docker again (just in case) and leaving all the docker setting at they default.

Create a new folder in the Syncthing web interface using    /media/sg projects   and the syncing work with all my user shares!

Thanks again.

For any new user:

When using Syncthing between Unraid and Mac you need to ignore permissions under "Advanced" or it will always be "Out of Sync"

• 1 month later...

Apologies openning a new topic on this syncthing thing was greyed out so i will just continue the conversation with a question.

I have been using syncthing for synchronising folders between two home servers.

Upon setting up and linking the servers I used a direct connection network which is 10gb - 192.168.3.x

This worked quite well initially.

Not that I looked that often but now I have noticed that the sync has reverted (of itself) to the all-embracing standard home network of 192.168.1.x which is only 1gb.

Is there a way to force the connection thru the 10gb network (for obvious reasons). There is about 80Tb of data under sync scanning.

Checking on other syncthing communities there appears to be some hint of nominating a listenning address to bind to but  I cant see any parameters in the binhex xml file to enable this.

Any ideas?

Finally just figured things out after playing with it for 2 nights
for any noob outhere, I hope this help
This is for the binhex version only
but start with  creating the share you want syncthing to sync to
then while grabbing the container from the app store, set the host path to that exact share or folder within that share that you just created
pull the container
connect the device  by clicking on add a device, I did this in my host machine
you should end up with connection unused on both devices 
then share the folder from your host device to the server,
for the holder path, use that orange text that is writing underneath your host path, where at the beginning you mapped the share or share folder you created specifically for syncthing.
and thats it

• 1 month later...

Thanks for creating this unraid template @binhex.

Anyone having issues with the https redirect using this template?

If I enable "Use Https for GUI", it doesn't seem to redirect to https as it should.

This works perfectly with my non-Unraid installs of Syncthing.

On my 2 unraid servers it just goes to the http gui and does not redirect.

Hi,

I test your Docker but i don't see where data store on my Disk....

Folder patch:

image.png.273a0419b11b2b9cd746d98875471d79.png

Mappings:

image.png.a4f9a5605f3904420fea79e22b561a01.png

Nothing on patch: /mnt/user/Data/Syncthing/

image.thumb.png.ef5ec8e38248dc9b5d97f136b551c156.png

But Sync still running with very low IO data transfer??? It write to docker.img??

image.thumb.png.d3e59ad30f063f57f589d7e7e5027306.png

Edited by meomapvn
Add more detail.