Unraid Podcast!

SpencerJ

Unraid Pod  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Although not something I personally use extensively, except for experimentation, there seem to be a lot of questions in the forums lately about VMs and "best" hardware choices and tips in general for working with VMs.

I think another big one could be troubleshooting, things to avoid, what to do if X happens, etc.  Granted, users are encouraged to seek answers in the forums but there is an ever-increasing number of new users who might avoid mistakes if some of this was more accessible to them.  Prevention rather than cure.

I am not saying this should be a support-centric podcast.  My personal interests would be things in the poll; however, every once in a while a some of the things mentioned above could be helpful to many.

• Like 2

I think it would be great to get a guide going for tips and tricks on a new set up. What tools, plugins and settings are good to adjust/install off the bench for new builders/users.

That would be a great starting point.

later you could higher it out to a tech writer to put into a guide or something 

• Like 1

As a new unraid user that just crossed a year these are some of the things I would be interested with respect to weekly content.

-build guide segment with old, new, up and coming parts to be released (similar to Patrick form STH, he does reviews of mini systems and usually points out which are great pfsense systems, and gives guidance for customization)

-various trouble shooting solutions to common problems

-Docker/Plug-in segment for the community developers to promote their hard work (possible set up guide, best practices, what to watch out for)

-Unraid Team segment highlight current areas of focus, whats coming in near future or long term, what not coming, with staw polls for the community to vote, this would also help assist and Motivate the team and provide excellent real time feedback.

Thanks in advance for the opportunity to voice me opinion Mr Spencer.

Regard
Shinta0Saint (Shane)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

To me the basics are:

-Monitoring/Verifying data integrity
-Monitoring hardware health
-Having a step by step foolproof hardware failure plan
-Optimize power saving
-Optimize read/write speeds
-Scanning for problems
-Scanning for virus/malware in data
-Monitoring logs/Early warning when unexpected things happen.

I'm a huge podcast fan, so I think this could be worth a try.

I think showing a little hood of the Linux kernel would open a lot of people's eyes as to just how much power they can have with UnRAID, at an efficiency level that just can't be achieved without the UnRAID array.

If you go back to my first posts, you'll see questions about what most see as 'enterprise, not UnRAID' use cases, and recommending I use something else for those scenarios. Well, I'm stubborn, and made it all work anyway... Which I can do, because at it's core, UnRAID is still Linux.

Things like SR-IOV implementation (basically bare metal levels performance of multiple VM's using a single hardware device), persistent hardware MAC addressing for virtual function interfaces (important for anyone that uses VLANs which depend upon them), bandwidth allocations for specific VMs or containers (so people's download clients don't hog all their bandwidth while they're gaming) at the hardware level (i.e. without negatively impacting host CPU utilization), complete control over noise/sound levels of your machine using user scripts, and so on. I've finally found the time to start documenting some of these, and as I have more free time available, I'll be trying to push more out in guide format.

And all of this can be done without a rack mount server, at a power efficiency rate that's just not possible with traditional RAID implementations. Drive spindown control, easy point-and-click scheduling of the CPU performance profile, etc. all add up to saving a ton of money over the course of the years the server is running, and without compromising performance.

• Like 1

Actually, if you do end up bringing efficiency / performance vs. consumption up, I might be able to provide some real data there. I went from consuming ~320w at idle to ~90 or so after I completed a migration, and with today's power prices... That's real money.

topic request: as there are many ways to build a server. i would like a "builders corner" with some reviews of cases, MB and maybe even recommendations for beginner, medium, advanced and pro servers. 

Or maybe a how to get more disks into your server... checklist type like get a controller like lsi, get cable x, do this y, and 

Topic request: maybe go indepth on topics, like ultimate dashboard, databases, networking with unraid,  and then from download/install to finished pod guide. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, orlando500 said:

topic request: as there are many ways to build a server. i would like a "builders corner" with some reviews of cases, MB and maybe even recommendations for beginner, medium, advanced and pro servers. 

Or maybe a how to get more disks into your server... checklist type like get a controller like lsi, get cable x, do this y, and 

Topic request: maybe go indepth on topics, like ultimate dashboard, databases, networking with unraid,  and then from download/install to finished pod guide. 

You might check out the UnRAID Compulsive Designs subforum - it's got some decent stuff there, though admittedly itd be better if there were more contributions to it

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Personally I do mean personally. I think Podcasts should be a mixed bag of topics. Possibly reviews of Plugins, dockers, future content on and on. 

I think if you stick with one particular subject you might entertain some and bore others. 

• Like 2
  • SpencerJ changed the title to Unraid Podcast!

The following would be a great addition:

I have an Unraid server running with 74 Terabyte total space. The extreme most of that is for movies/series from long ago.. I might not ever be looking at them. And with netflix, amazon prime and other services I honoustly make less use of it then I used to.

In an effort to try and bring down electricity usage from an environmental perspective I am pondering the following:

What if the cache drive would not be emptied by the mover totally at a certain point in time but it would move everything -older- then a certain point in time.

That would keep all my new content for a specific timeslot available on the cache drive, I could watch all my series and stuff from the cache drive, stuff older then something like a month would be offloaded to the array and disks would remain spun down for a long time there..

Seems like a relatively easy thing to do.. ?