Can't boot USB after restarting the server

TheClaus

Unraid Version: 6.8.3

Motherboard: SuperMicro X8DTL-3F rev2.01

CPUs: Dual XEON L5640

Hi, I hope someone can help me with my issue.  So today I was noticing that my server was running the fans a bit more than normal and when I went to the Dashboard I noticed that most of the threads were running all over the place which is unusual for my server.  I checked top and saw that containerd and dockerd were using 100% of the CPU.

I shut down docker and then just to be safe I shut down the server.  When I powered it back on I now get this message that it can't find the bootable media and try again.  I thought my usb stick went bad so I bought another USB stick.  Tried that and same message.  Tried several USB sticks all with the same message.  Tried several different USB ports on the motherboard and same message.  I even tried a Ubuntu Live USB and it wouldn't boot and gave me the same message.

At this point I am thinking my motherboard USB ports went bad.  Now the server is older.  Dual XEONS L5640 running on a Supermicro board.  The server hardware was used when I bought it and that was several years ago.

I have 2 questions.

1. Can I buy a USB PCI card and disable the BIOS USB and force it to use the card to boot Unraid.
  2. If I can't do that and I buy new hardware(motherboard/cpu/memory) can I just plug in the old USB stick and it boot up my configuration.

Any help would be appreciated.

So I messed something up in changing all the BIOS settings and locked myself out of the BIOS because I am using a USB keyboard.  I am going to clear CMOS tonight which should reset all the BIOS settings and hopefully get myself back into the BIOS.  Once that is done I will go through and see if the settings you said to check are correct.

Update: I decided to pull out all my drives(thank god for Rosewill's hot swap server chassis) and just boot up.  Now I can boot the USB drive.  I am thinking it might be a PSU issue but have a question.  Could I be drawing too much power from the drives?  I have 12 drives in the server and it was running fine before.  It is as barebones as I can get it.  12 drives and 1 SAS card and a USB keyboard and USB thumb stick connected to a monitor using the onboard VGA port.

I have 6 drives attached to the SATA ports on the motherboard and then 6 drives are attached to a PCI SAS card.  I have disabled the onboard SAS in the BIOS.  Do you have a link to what that person said?  Would like to read more up on it.  I could take 2 drives off of the SATA ports on the motherboard and plug them into the SAS card but just seems odd that everything was working great and now it isn't.

15 minutes ago, TheClaus said:

Do you have a link to what that person said?

Haven't

If 6 disks detect on BIOS AHCI ( HBA Oprom disable ), 6 shouldn't trigger the bug.

I agree you can try plug-back HBA and unplug the on-board disk to trouble shoot step by step.

Edited by Vr2Io