Trying to figure out the best way to migrate data from share to another.

2nu2storage

As the title suggest I'm wanting to migrate or move data from multiple shares in to one share with sub-directories. As an example I have three shares - one for downloading, one for movies, and one for tv - and I want to use one share with downloads, tv, and movies sub-directories. How would I go about moving the data from those shares into the one share and their desired directory? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but could I just copy or move from /mnt/user/old_share to /mnt/user/new_share?

31 minutes ago, 2nu2storage said:

could I just copy or move from /mnt/user/old_share to /mnt/user/new_share?

Yep, That simple. Just make sure you ONLY use /mnt/user root paths. Don't stray into /mnt/cache or /mnt/disks, you can easily lose data if you don't know how those direct disk paths interact with /mnt/user.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 2nu2storage said:

How come when I ran the mv command it was 'instant' I was expecting it to move data at the disk level - I/O intensive. Did I move the hard-links?

I was expecting it to take hours given the share I moved was 2.5TB.

Shares are simply root folders on the disks. To "move" files from one share to another simply means renaming the root folder and other folders in the path, they are still on the same physical disks.