(Solved) Cannot Successfully Create Windows 10 VM

ptmurphy

I am trying to create a new Windows 10 VM and cannot get it to work. During the initial installation process, I get the error "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025D"

I have tried using just one CPU core for the install.

I followed the guide in the documentation and installed all of the drivers (Balloon, NetKVM, vioserial, and viostor - in that order).

Also followed the SpaceInvader One guide.

Hardware is...

- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12 core, 24 thread) Processor

- Asus AM4 TUF Gaming x570 Plus 

- 32GB RAM

- Not trying to pass through any hardware

Nothing special... using the vritIO drivers, Windows 10 ISO from their website.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this error?

Thanks...

Edited by ptmurphy
Mark as solved

A couple of other things I have tried...

1. Changed to cache drive to a different SSD. Same problem and still gives the same error at about 26% of the "getting files ready" stage of installation.

2. Re-downloaded the windows 10 ISO file. Get the same error, but at about 78% of the way through the "getting files ready" stage.

Any suggestions? I'm out of ideas.

So I'm confused.. 

On 2/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, ptmurphy said:

I am trying to create a new Windows 10 VM and cannot get it to work. During the initial installation process, I get the error "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025D"

On 2/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, ptmurphy said:

I followed the guide in the documentation and installed all of the drivers (Balloon, NetKVM, vioserial, and viostor - in that order).

You can't install the virtio drivers until the VM is installed... so... do you have the VM installed and then you get an error?  Or are you trying to load the virtio drivers during the install and then getting an error?

If you are trying to load them during install then you are not following any directions, since the drivers are loaded in Windows after the VM is created.

Next.. once you clarify what you're doing here... what are your VM settings for the disk types.. SATA/virtio/IDE.. etc.. 

Energen - thank you for the reply. 

Windows would never install at all... It would get to a certain stage and then error out with the error shown in the first message. The driver part was probably a bit of confusion on my part as a last ditch effort.

I did finally get it to work but downloading Windows a third time and creating a third ISO file and installing from that. Not sure why it worked, but I did find a message on another board where someone had the same issue and it was a corrupt ISO installation file.

It seems very unlikely that happened to me twice, but the third download did work.

• ptmurphy changed the title to (Solved) Cannot Successfully Create Windows 10 VM