[GUIDE] NiceHashOS in 5mn

dboris

In two words ; Machine Type Q35, VNC driver CIRRUS.

Download NiceHashOS from : https://www.nicehash.com/download-center

Download and install OSFMount : https://www.osforensics.com/tools/mount-disk-images.html

On a Windows VM :

- Extract the NHos archive with Winrar or 7Zip.

- With OSFMount, select tthe extracted .img file and mount the DDOS3.31+FAT16 partition.

sdf.JPG.ee8fd418815c8bfffc8142e3a8ecf92a.JPG

- Uncheck "read-only drive"

fsf.JPG.acf2fbbc61e613c4eb6a7ef044811ed5.JPG

- Open the mounted partition in the explorer and edit the configuration.txt by adding your BTC address (from your Nicehash account) and worker's name (as you like).

sfd.JPG.028efca09c08c24d01ab3d135dff3851.JPG

- Save the file and unmount the partition

- Mount again the .img file and ensure that your changes have been recorded

- You can now move the .img file in your domains/vm disks folder

Create a new VM with Ubuntu Template.

sfd.thumb.JPG.738ad90d913ad6a983aeb1fd71539915.JPG

Ensure to have these settings :

- At least 2GB of ram

- Save on CPU cores as it will bring no benefits

Mandatory :

- Of course point to the edited .img file.

- Machine Type Q35

- Change VNC driver for CIRRUS

- Add a secondary nvidia GPU.

You should be all set :).

You can control the GPU OC settings from the web interface.

Your nvidia GPU should have no more rest.

Edited by dboris
  • Like 2

@dborisAre you passing through a hardware NIC?  I'm getting an error "Generating NiceHash Miner rig identifier failed!" followed by it not connecting on the next screen.  My network config for the VM:

image.png

Edit:  Nevermind, got it working.  Not sure what it was exactly.  I created a new VM with a passed-though USB NIC and it worked.  I removed the NIC passthrough and it still worked, so I guess something got messed up with the original VM.

Edited by snazz
derp.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the guide @dboris, I'm about to try this myself. I was wondering what happens if I just load the default NH image rather than opening up the file and tweaking the BTC address. Is there no way to just update this in the OS itself?

Apologies for the laziness/naivety, I'm just curious.

23 hours ago, mcai3db3 said:

Thank you for the guide @dboris, I'm about to try this myself. I was wondering what happens if I just load the default NH image rather than opening up the file and tweaking the BTC address. Is there no way to just update this in the OS itself?

Apologies for the laziness/naivety, I'm just curious.

Exactly, normally you would do it from your bootable usb key

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2021 at 9:23 AM, kron said:

Need a little help here.

Nicehash rig dashboard is showing the unraid rig but the status is Offline.  Last seen timestamp shows only the initial creation of the VM and nothing more. What am I missing?

Just got this sorted out myself. To properly pass through the GPU into the VM, you first need to set "PCIe ACS override" to "Downstream" in the VM Manager settings, then reboot.

image.thumb.png.9c53d9c56eb9b8210b3546d9be26ce5f.png

This is the first VM i ever needed to build and found Spaceinvader's VM walkthrough for unraid was pretty helpful in piecing this together.

• 1 month later...

My mining status keeps flipping from no to yes. I got it set up and the nicehash website said it was benchmarking. Showed fan speed and temp. But now it's unavailable, but the VNC screen show's it's connected. I have an AMD video card if that matters. 

I restarted the unRAID server and started the VM. The nicehash website said pending and then eventually error check locally. I don't know where any logs would be to check. 

Just looked again and now it's going back and forth every few minutes between pending and benchmarking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 11:44 AM, Lectoid said:

My mining status keeps flipping from no to yes. I got it set up and the nicehash website said it was benchmarking. Showed fan speed and temp. But now it's unavailable, but the VNC screen show's it's connected. I have an AMD video card if that matters. 

I restarted the unRAID server and started the VM. The nicehash website said pending and then eventually error check locally. I don't know where any logs would be to check. 

Just looked again and now it's going back and forth every few minutes between pending and benchmarking.

Did you ever get this resolved? I am getting the same issue myself. It went through the bench marking, turned on and started working, Then off. And from there on and off repeatedly. ALSO running AMD video card. 

Anyone have any ideas why it goes on and off repeatedly?

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, okkies said:

out of the blue it just stopped detecting my RTX 3080 :/

Have you considered just using a VM of HiveOS instead? Since you can since you can still mine to NiceHash in HiveOS but you can do your own overclock and it'll probably be about %5 more profitable.

That's not a lot of information there bud.

Have you attached new devices? More HDD's or NVMe maybe?

What slot is the GPU in? Is it on a x1 or x16?

How is your iommu set up? (some boards have real problems with passthrough)

One of my boards is a massive pain and will only work with PCIe ACS override set to both and as with many boards if you use all slots you can lose some sata ports due to PCIe switching.

Do you Bind the devices in the VFIO options AKA UNRAID TOOLS/SYSTEM DEVICES?

What do the groups look like?

On 9/22/2021 at 1:12 AM, Malachi89 said:

Did you ever get this resolved? I am getting the same issue myself. It went through the bench marking, turned on and started working, Then off. And from there on and off repeatedly. ALSO running AMD video card. 

Are you on q35 or i440fx?

Sounds a lot like the classic i440fx issue of stutter. (just a guess)

if not maybe give it a try with or without a monitor attached (is it the only GPU in the system? and is binding in VFIO working?)

8 hours ago, mdrodge said:

Have you considered just using a VM of HiveOS instead? Since you can since you can still mine to NiceHash in HiveOS but you can do your own overclock and it'll probably be about %5 more profitable.
Never looked into HiveOS tbh, I just wanna casually mine while its still profitable. 

- whenever im in windows i run the client when im just browsing

- When im on my work VM (cloned my work laptop :P) i also run it with the 3080 overhead

- all other times im not sitting behind the screen i use NicehashOS. 

Doing all this make the nas actually profitable while its turned on. 

If HiveOS can function the same ill might switch to that

That's not a lot of information there bud.
B0S7APL.png

Have you attached new devices? More HDD's or NVMe maybe?

- nope, 

What slot is the GPU in? Is it on a x1 or x16?

- x16. as it always been

How is your iommu set up? (some boards have real problems with passthrough)

ACS downstream 
Gigabyte Aurus master X570 btw

One of my boards is a massive pain and will only work with PCIe ACS override set to both and as with many boards if you use all slots you can lose some sata ports due to PCIe switching.

I dont use my sata ports, 

Do you Bind the devices in the VFIO options AKA UNRAID TOOLS/SYSTEM DEVICES?

What do the groups look like?
SWWPjmP.png

Edited by okkies
forgot a question

That all looks pretty good. I did see that despite the fact that your running acs "downstream" your board has split the gpu into 2 groups like what you'd see with acs "both".

I am forced to run "both" on one of my systems so that can work but if you can get them to become one device on it's own group that's better because some nvidia drivers get upset.

Apart from that your looking at os level issues in nicehash os and they really don't give you much in the way of tools for troubleshooting.

HiveOS is one of the OS's real miners would use.

It's quite easy (especially compared to unraid) but it has a lot more tools than the nicehash os. (It would at least allow you to bash in or just visit the web gui and see what's happening.)

Loads of videos on YouTube about it.

Another one that exists but wouldn't suit your multi-vm approach is t-rex miner as a docker container. (Witch is good if you don't want to vfio your gpu away from unraid.)

I tried nicehash os a couple of months ago and gave up and moved to HiveOS since then I've expanded and have a few rigs and needed a vm on one rig (I've done a few windows gaming vm's before) I tried nicehash os and was let down again and decided I'd virtualize HiveOS.

It's been doing really well I still mine to nicehash because it's convenient etc but nicehashOS for me didn't work out. (Similar issues)

On 9/21/2021 at 8:12 PM, Malachi89 said:

Weird I just got notified that you "quoted" me. No I never got this resolved. I stuck my video card in a physical box and run it from there.