Yet Another, Latest AeroCool VS-9 Build

CDLehner

So...I'm trying to move my unRAID build over to this AeroCool VS-9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811196039&Tpk=aerocool%20vs-9

I've had my parts since my first build in an ARK 4U-500 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811182566&Tpk=ark%204u-500. Then at first sign of trouble (having to replace a bad drive), I realized I wanted a hot-swap solution. After pricing out 5-in-3s, I decided it was more cost-effective to just go for the giant, 20-drive Norco 4220. It was...and I did...but man it was sooo noisy. Sure...I could have swapped out fans and such, but right around the same time, I started to change my ripping strategy, and decided 20 drives was too much.

So I sold the Norco, and went smaller and back to the ARK case. After another hard drive issue (we're talking like a 2-year span at this point), I was back to wanting a hot-swap solution...lol. I tried to just put a 5-in-3 cage in the (3) 5.25 slots of the ARK; but that's when I found out that you have to be careful about the depth, and consider the size of your case.

So now I'm looking to build into a case, that'll take (3) 5-in-3s (I know...that's 15 drives, and I said 20 was too big; but I do have a Pro key, so I figure I might as well allow for the room to take advantage of it). I originally bought this Lian Li LanCool http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112238&cm_re=lancool_pc-k58-_-11-112-238-_-Product, but after it was already on its way, I realized it only looked like it had (9) 5.25 slots. Back it went, and now I've picked up this AeroCool VS-9 for a try.

So far I like this case. You get what you pay for, in that it's very light...but that's not necessarily a bad thing; after dealing with the ARK (which is built like a brick shithouse) and the giant Norco, it's refreshing to be able to move this around easily. I also like the fact that it's tool-less. But I have some concerns that it's going to do what I'm looking for.

First thing was, it has this dual-adapter; evidently, it's for mounting a fan in that front location. However, you see it's easily removed (2 screws on either side)...and seems to allow plenty of room for 5-in-3 backplanes?

DSC01637-1.jpgDSC01640-1.jpg

Next, I wasn't sure what to make of these tool-less drive clips (I guess that's what these are...lol). That adapter I removed on the front of the box...I called it "dual", because evidently it's made to hold the HDD, tool-less, on one side...and a fan on the other (the case came with 4 others). And then I guess these are held in place with these red clips?? In any case...I won't need them, and you can see...they come right off.

DSC01638.jpgDSC01639.jpg

So...what's the verdict...lol. Before I order one, will this case likely accomodate the (3) 5-in-3 cages like I want? I know probably the only way to know for sure is to try it out. So...I'll also ask for any opinions of help on backplanes.

So many choices; I know the SuperMicro is kind of the "gold-standard" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121405&Tpk=cse-m35t-1b (and it's what I tried in my ARK, and it was too deep...not that that means anything...I don't think that case was built with these backplanes in mind)...but I've seen some builds lately with these iStars http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215175&cm_re=istarusa_hot_swap-_-16-215-175-_-Product, and I think they're pretty damn cool.

Any advice on SATA cages? This VS-9 case isn't huge, so should my first concern be with finding something as shallow as possible, as opposed to looking cool...or all they all pretty much the same in that regard?

First time kind of going this route; I need lots of help...sorry for all the questions.

Oh, btw...if you need more info and/or pics on the case...I found this great write-up, kind of after the fact http://www.pureoverclock.com/article993.html

CD

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your links don't work.  

If you are going to use a 5-in-3 then the tabs will have to be bent flat.  The Supermicro 5-in-3's are 2mm oversized (fat) so be prepared to have to FORCE them into the slot.  They are also noisy so you will have to replace the fans (extra cost).  Actually, they aren't the gold standard.  They are more like the iron standard because they are built to take a beating in server rooms.  

I'm using Icy Docks and I like them quite a bit.  I do wish they were trayless but honestly I don't change the drives much so it's not a problem.  The trays are actually just two rails, no top or bottom so the drive gets lots of air.  They are very very quiet.

Your links don't work.  

If you are going to use a 5-in-3 then the tabs will have to be bent flat.  The Supermicro 5-in-3's are 2mm oversized (fat) so be prepared to have to FORCE them into the slot.  They are also noisy so you will have to replace the fans (extra cost).  Actually, they aren't the gold standard.  They are more like the iron standard because they are built to take a beating in server rooms.  

I'm using Icy Docks and I like them quite a bit.  I do wish they were trayless but honestly I don't change the drives much so it's not a problem.  The trays are actually just two rails, no top or bottom so the drive gets lots of air.  They are very very quiet.

Sorry...they must have gotten truncated when I copied this post. I'll re-link.  :-[

I think depth is going to be a challenge with this case. It seems pretty obvious the biggest number...where I can find dimensions on 5-in-3 cages...is the depth? Hmm...the SuperMicro (CSE-M35T-1B), for example...seems to be one of the deepest, at ~10".

Some of the others are ~8", or even slightly under. Any thoughts about the shallowest 5-in-3s?

CD

Your links don't work.  

I'm using Icy Docks and I like them quite a bit.  I do wish they were trayless but honestly I don't change the drives much so it's not a problem.  The trays are actually just two rails, no top or bottom so the drive gets lots of air.  They are very very quiet.

Sorry...they must have gotten truncated when I copied this post. I'll re-link.  :-[

I think depth is going to be a challenge with this case. It seems pretty obvious the biggest number...where I can find dimensions on 5-in-3 cages...is the depth? Hmm...the SuperMicro (CSE-M35T-1B), for example...seems to be one of the deepest, at ~10".

Some of the others are ~8", or even slightly under. Any thoughts about the shallowest 5-in-3s?

CD

The Supermicro is the longest.  The Icy Dock is likely the shortest.  See My Rig Pimped in my signature.  I have two Icy Docks in a small case.

Your links don't work. 

If you are going to use a 5-in-3 then the tabs will have to be bent flat.  The Supermicro 5-in-3's are 2mm oversized (fat) so be prepared to have to FORCE them into the slot.  They are also noisy so you will have to replace the fans (extra cost).  Actually, they aren't the gold standard.  They are more like the iron standard because they are built to take a beating in server rooms. 

I'm using Icy Docks and I like them quite a bit.  I do wish they were trayless but honestly I don't change the drives much so it's not a problem.  The trays are actually just two rails, no top or bottom so the drive gets lots of air.  They are very very quiet.

Sorry...they must have gotten truncated when I copied this post. I'll re-link.  :-[

CD

The Supermicro is the longest.  The Icy Dock is likely the shortest.  See My Rig Pimped in my signature.  I have two Icy Docks in a small case.

Actually, the shortest I've seem to be able to find...appears to be this Athena http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816119024&Tpk=bp-tl3051sac at ~7.2"

It also happens to be about one of the plainest-looking, bare-bones units I've laid eyes on too...lol. It looks like it accomplishes its lack of depth, with (2) thin fans, rather than 1 thick one. Which makes me wonder...is it common to buy what you want, and just slim down depth with an aftermarket fan?

Icy Docks appear to be about 8.3", by comparison. AMS just under 8", iStar just over. Still confused....or I guess I should say undecided???

It's simple and plain looking but that might be a plus.  I like the back side.  The fans are on one side and the ports are easy to get to.  For a tight fitting case like mine it's nice to be able to have the fan side away from the motherboard.  So if the unit works equally well whether top or bottom is facing up then that is nice. 

It would be nice to see inside to see where the air exits the cage and if each drive gets cooled equally.

It's simple and plain looking but that might be a plus.  I like the back side.  The fans are on one side and the ports are easy to get to.  For a tight fitting case like mine it's nice to be able to have the fan side away from the motherboard.  So if the unit works equally well whether top or bottom is facing up then that is nice. 

It would be nice to see inside to see where the air exits the cage and if each drive gets cooled equally.

Yeah...I'm not much on pimpin', so I don't why I'm worried about the look...lol

Now, it is trayless; should I be worried about that? Turns out, the Athena must be a re-badge of this SNT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994077&cm_re=snt-_-17-994-077-_-Product (or they're both re-badge of something nameless...but the SNT is $75 + 4, and the Athena is $90 + 12). Reviews are mixed; fans are loud, drives can be tricky to get in with the trayless insert...and drive tabs seem to be an issue.

I'm not even sure what they mean, or if it's an issue with my case or not.  :-[

Oh, also...they mention that the drives mount vertically, not horizontally. Now, some mention it as a con, because they were expecting it the other way...and some as a pro, as it keeps the top drive from catching all the heat. I do plan to put my case on it's side...so I think with this case, my drives might end up going back horizontal. Is that a con?

CD

You can certainly replace the fans. I had some noisy 40mm fans on some 3 in 2s that I replaced with some 40mm fans from a ram cooling unit. It is true that no small fan will be as quiet as a large counterpart, but they can still be within acceptable limits.

Yeah, a guy in one of the reviews mentioned how he replaced the fans. I see queeg's point though; if you're going to have to replace the fans, it takes some of the shine off the unit in the first place.

I'm actually kind of leaning toward the iStar's now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215176&cm_re=bpu-350sata-_-16-215-176-_-Product; not for the pimpin'...lol...but because they are actually getting really solid reviews.

CD

+1 for the iStarUSA cage. I have three and they are awesome.

Opentoe, your build...posted at AVS...is what turned me on to the iStar's in the first place. I've been driving myself nuts, looking at a ton of cages, and depths...etc. The iStar is supposed to be 8.11"...which is give or take, within .5" of everything else (except the positively huge SuperMicro).

Do you have experience with other cages, and do you find it to be noticeably deeper than most anything else?

CD